Liberty 11/27 - Review Day 1 and 2

blindrid

Liberty 11/27/2010

Eastern Carib

My DW, DS and his GF flew in a day early into FLL. Other than forgetting a bag at the airport (a big thank you to Miguel with SAS Transportation) which cost me two hours, getting to the Wyndham South Beach was uneventful.

The hotel was OK on my list as our rooms were across the street from the police station which cost us sleep with sirens, lights, etc. I got the rooms on the cheap on Priceline so I figured I got what I deserved. If I would have paid more, I would have been PO’d but the hotel worked fine – good location just a few blocks from the beach and Ocean Drive.

We had drinks and snacks at the Clevelander and made the mistake of going to Mango’s afterward. Someone in our group had a headache the next morning (it wasn’t me!) and a good time was had by all (one of us more than others). Afterward, when I checked my CC bill, I’m not sure it was worth the $250 but it is a vacation.

Cab to Port and check in was relatively painless. It does seem that the self check in does confuse some people slowing things down but if you follow the directions it is a no-brainer.

When I got on the ship, it was different than I expected. The overall feel was a bit cramped and the buffet area with its low ceilings didn’t help. We found the fish and chips upstairs pretty quick. The service there was plenty slow but it works. It seemed like there was very limited seating around the perimeter by the pool as compared to other ships I’ve been on. It’s not a big deal, just an observation.

Kids had cabin # 2470 and we had 6415. As soon as we walked into ours, my wife picked up on a pretty heavy smoke smell (She hates smoke, I smoke). There were a few things on the floor i.e. cigarette butts. We just called the desk and Luis, our steward came in and re-cleaned the cabin and got an A from my wife and overall, did a fine job. Rarely saw him other than once in a while in the hall so in my mind that was a plus. I would give him an overall A for the week.

First day we hit the private island and had a beach day – drank beer, laid in the sun, got wet, had lunch, got back on board. By early afternoon DS made the comment that it looked like a beach in San Diego with all of the people. Good day and good way to start a vacation. We were lucky and started early and came back early so the tender wasn’t a big deal.

Day Two sea day, pretty much lay by the pool, eat and a drink beer day. DW opted for no spa treatments this time so that was another plus in my books ($$$$). I would have liked to go for a massage as I was a bit beat up from travel but I couldn’t justify their prices so I decided to wait until I got home for one.

We did the Anytime Dining and it worked great for us. Very little wait time, service was good (didn’t feel rushed), food was good and the waiters were entertaining.

Anyway, more to follow as I should get some work done today……..

Archived