Need NCL Pearl Suggestions

DarceyJK

Hey Everybody, My family (me, DH, children: 21, 20, 14 & 14) is going on our very first cruise Dec 26th and need some help choosing excursions. Any suggestions for these ports would be greatly appreciated: Samana, St Thomas, Tortola & Great Stirrup Cay. We have no disabilites or health issues to be concerned with and are all in pretty good shape. Thanks in advance for any helpful hints!!

I loved Great Stirrup Cay! It was a bit crowded, but I didn't care. I snorkeled a long, long time. Snorkeled all the way to where the tender comes in this cove...watched the ship from where I was. BEAUTIFUL water and fish! They served chicken and salad that was pretty good.

For Samana, I would check out the port board for the Dominican Republic. We used Terry and did a horseback tour to El Limon. You do need to be in pretty good shape for this one just for the hike back up from the base of the waterfall.

In Tortola, the Baths are very popular, and there will also be trams at the port for transport to different places and some will do a tour of the island. I can't remember the name of the beach area our tour stopped at, but that would be a nice place to spend a day or just an afternoon.

GSC is the private island and the only thing you really need to figure out is if you want to rent a clamshell for the day. If you do, you get priority tendering and the clamshell is your shade for the day since there isn't hardly any on the island.

Thanks you guys.. If we snorkel on GSC do we need to book an excursioin or are you just able to do it on your own from the beach??

If you've got your own gear, do it on your own. But you'll need to get away from people, and that will be hard to do.

For Samana, I would check out the port board for the Dominican Republic. We used Terry and did a horseback tour to El Limon. You do need to be in pretty good shape for this one just for the hike back up from the base of the waterfall.

In Tortola, the Baths are very popular, and there will also be trams at the port for transport to different places and some will do a tour of the island. I can't remember the name of the beach area our tour stopped at, but that would be a nice place to spend a day or just an afternoon.

GSC is the private island and the only thing you really need to figure out is if you want to rent a clamshell for the day. If you do, you get priority tendering and the clamshell is your shade for the day since there isn't hardly any on the island.

There's shade where you eat at the tables. I'm a red-head and just used sunscreen. It wasn't overly hot that day...a nice breeze, but a clamshell WOULD have been great.

Hey Everybody, My family (me, DH, children: 21, 20, 14 & 14) is going on our very first cruise Dec 26th and need some help choosing excursions. Any suggestions for these ports would be greatly appreciated: Samana, St Thomas, Tortola & Great Stirrup Cay. We have no disabilites or health issues to be concerned with and are all in pretty good shape. Thanks in advance for any helpful hints!!

GSC is relaxing and is like an old fashion beach party. We loved it. What a way to end a wonderful cruise. In Tortala I would recommend the baths. You won't be sorry. As for Samana, do something through the cruise line.

Nita

We were on the Pearl last year. I agree with the previous posters with respect to Samana (the waterfalls, a cruise-line based tour - there wasn't much to see in the ports - some small shops) and Tortola (the baths).

On St. Thomas, we were just planning on walking around the port area, but ended up in one of the open-air cabs/trolley tours (the driver had two other couples already and was looking for one or two more). This driver gave a great tour of the island for $15 each. We drove along the island with great views - stopped by a bar with a great lookout, saw the painted wall, stopped by a beach on one end of the island, and back to the ship.

Have a great trip!!

Just got back from this itinerary...here's my two cents....

Samana....HANDS DOWN go with Terry! Here is his email toursamanawithterry at hotmail.com. He does not have a website so he will email you your options. Reasonably priced and I felt very safe on an island that is not known for safety. He is an American and his guides were locals. We went on the horseback ride and I felt very safe on the horse as well. The beach and local food that is provided was DELICIOUS!

St Thomas-we took a cab to Sapphire Beach and snorkeled-stunning. It is very quiet and there was another great snorkeling beach that was a bit more active...we were looking for quiet so we were very happy.

Tortola - we got off the boats and walked about 1/2 mile to the ferry to Virgin Gorda so we could do the Baths... Spent $40 each which was half the price that the ships tour was! I spoke to a bunch of the people on the ships tour and they were NOT happy that they had paid twice for virtually the same experience (the 1/2 mile walk was what they avoided but I liked going past the vendors so to me it was a plus not a negative). The ferrys only run every hour so look up! We caught the 9:30.

GSC- Snorkeled and relaxed! But get there early in order to get a lounger..the later folks got beach chaiirs.

We had a great time and hope you do as well!

One more thing about horseback riding with Terry...all my husband and I kept saying was how much we wished our teens were with us (18,16,14 and 13). He let us run the horses on the beach (only those who wanted to did--4 out of 8 of us) and my children would have had SUCH an adrenaline rush!

Just got back from this itinerary...here's my two cents....

Samana....HANDS DOWN go with Terry! Here is his email toursamanawithterry at hotmail.com. He does not have a website so he will email you your options. Reasonably priced and I felt very safe on an island that is not known for safety. He is an American and his guides were locals. We went on the horseback ride and I felt very safe on the horse as well. The beach and local food that is provided was DELICIOUS!

St Thomas-we took a cab to Sapphire Beach and snorkeled-stunning. It is very quiet and there was another great snorkeling beach that was a bit more active...we were looking for quiet so we were very happy.

Tortola - we got off the boats and walked about 1/2 mile to the ferry to Virgin Gorda so we could do the Baths... Spent $40 each which was half the price that the ships tour was! I spoke to a bunch of the people on the ships tour and they were NOT happy that they had paid twice for virtually the same experience (the 1/2 mile walk was what they avoided but I liked going past the vendors so to me it was a plus not a negative). The ferrys only run every hour so look up! We caught the 9:30.

GSC- Snorkeled and relaxed! But get there early in order to get a lounger..the later folks got beach chaiirs.

We had a great time and hope you do as well!

Thank you so much for the info - Very Very Helpful!!

I have a couple of question regarding renting a clamshell.

1-Where/When do you rent the clamshell

2- What is the cost?

Thanks

Archived