First Cruise Ever - How does this itinerary sound?

jamd

My mom and her husband have been lecturing on cruise ships since they retired a few years ago and they've asked us several times over the years if we'd like to go with them on a cruise to Alaska. My wife and I finally said yes and so next September we'll join them on a 7 -day cruise between Vancouver and Seward on the RCI Radiance. Since we agreed, I've spent a lot of time reading this board in order to figure out what to do (and what not to do). My mom and her husband are doing the 14-day round trip cruise (they'll be working in both directions) and we'll do either the north or south bound trip. I'm leaning toward the sound bound but we're not committed yet. I've put together a rough itinerary and I am hoping to receive input on what changes we should make. I am thinking this will be a one time event for us (I'm more of a warm, sunny beach person). We tend to be DIYers and enjoy the outdoors. Here goes (and Thank You):

9/5 Fly to Anchorage (arrive early afternoon), rent a car, drive to Talkeetna, spend the night at the Talkeetna Roadhouse. (buy food in Wasilla on the way)

9/6 Drive to Denali (exploring between Talkeetna and Denali) and stay at either Nordhaven or the Denali Park Hotel or a cabin at the Denali Outdoor Center

9/7 Get to the park early, listen to the safety presentation, and so some short hikes. Take the shuttle bus as far as Eielson.

9/8 2-hour Canyon raft trip with Denali Outdoor Center in the morning. Drive back to Anchorage and stay near the train station (Comfort Inn maybe).

9/9 Train to Seward. Explore around Seward (Exit Glacier or Kenai Fjord). Board the Radiance at 9:00 pm (inside cabin - we're spending our money on other stuff)

We have stops in Juneau, Skagway, Icy Straight and Ketchican. The only things so far that we've decided on are the Mendenhall Glacier (probably local bus) and flightseeing tour of Misty Fjords (expensive but what the heck).

9/16 Arrive Vancouver and fly home.

I also work on the Radiance as a speaker ocasionally, most reecently this past September for 14 days - I'm sure you'll love her as much as I do :)

Your itinerary looks good basically with some minor mods:

- take a cab into Anchorage to pick up your car to save the airport fees. On a multi-day rental they add up.

- look at hiking when you arrive in Denali on the 6th - the Eielson bus day doesn't allow much spare time that late in the season.

- the Radiance sails at 9 so you need to be there well before that - might as well enjoy the free dinner on board and save more $ for the Misty Fjords flight!

Murray

- take a cab into Anchorage to pick up your car to save the airport fees. On a multi-day rental they add up.

But check the rates for airport pick up. Occasionally you see airport pick up being the same price (or so close) that it isn't worth it to pay the $20 cab fare (usually each way) to pick up (and usually return) off-airport. You won't know until you compare both options.

A quick check for your dates shows you only save $30 by picking up a small car off-airport, even less of a savings for a larger car. Hardly worth it.

Labor Day also means that some off-airport offices are probably closed that day.

When we start making reservations we'll definitely compare costs and looking for the less expensive option where it makes sense. BQ - I understand that we can upgrade our shuttle bus pass at Eielson and we may decide to do that.

This board has been wonderful. I would have had no clue as to how to plan without the input of the people here. Thank you.

BQ - I understand that we can upgrade our shuttle bus pass at Eielson and we may decide to do that.

But far fewer buses go to Wonder Lake vs. Eielson. There is a chance, if the weather is nice, there won't be any seats to upgrade. Thus the suggestion to book to Wonder Lake. You can always get off at Eielson and return. Price difference is minimal for the guaranteed seat.

My mom and her husband have been lecturing on cruise ships since they retired a few years ago and they've asked us several times over the years if we'd like to go with them on a cruise to Alaska. My wife and I finally said yes and so next September we'll join them on a 7 -day cruise between Vancouver and Seward on the RCI Radiance. Since we agreed, I've spent a lot of time reading this board in order to figure out what to do (and what not to do). My mom and her husband are doing the 14-day round trip cruise (they'll be working in both directions) and we'll do either the north or south bound trip. I'm leaning toward the sound bound but we're not committed yet. I've put together a rough itinerary and I am hoping to receive input on what changes we should make. I am thinking this will be a one time event for us (I'm more of a warm, sunny beach person). We tend to be DIYers and enjoy the outdoors. Here goes (and Thank You):

9/5 Fly to Anchorage (arrive early afternoon), rent a car, drive to Talkeetna, spend the night at the Talkeetna Roadhouse. (buy food in Wasilla on the way)

9/6 Drive to Denali (exploring between Talkeetna and Denali) and stay at either Nordhaven or the Denali Park Hotel or a cabin at the Denali Outdoor Center

9/7 Get to the park early, listen to the safety presentation, and so some short hikes. Take the shuttle bus as far as Eielson.

9/8 2-hour Canyon raft trip with Denali Outdoor Center in the morning. Drive back to Anchorage and stay near the train station (Comfort Inn maybe).

9/9 Train to Seward. Explore around Seward (Exit Glacier or Kenai Fjord). Board the Radiance at 9:00 pm (inside cabin - we're spending our money on other stuff)

We have stops in Juneau, Skagway, Icy Straight and Ketchican. The only things so far that we've decided on are the Mendenhall Glacier (probably local bus) and flightseeing tour of Misty Fjords (expensive but what the heck).

JAMD, We will be doing Raidiance in June of next year. You are going to love the ship and sailing! We have our plans almost complete. These message boards are a great source of help. Know that the tour operators fill up really quickly, so if there is absolutely something you dont want to miss, book it!

dbcarson1 at yahoo dot com

Idea: We can share the coupon books, since we are doing some different activities! Email me. We can save some money.

dbcarson1 at yahoo dot com

• 3 weeks later...

I love the Denali Outdoor Center - although I usually camp, but the cabins are very cute and right on the lake. There's a kitchen/bathrooms/shower facility a few steps away and they have free internet access. For dinner I recommend the new Brewery (great beer too) or the Black Diamond. You can order a lunch from Rosie's. All are in Healy.

You will only need a couple of hours to drive from Talkeetna to Denali. This stretch is almost all park land and there are very few places to stop between Talkeetna and Cantwell, except for pull offs if the mountain is out. Gas up at the station on the corner by the Talkeetna turn off. Gas is VERY expensive further up the road. Fall colors should be beautiful at Broad Pass. You should arrive early enough to explore the Park, take a hike (as others have mentioned) and as an added bonus, drive your car to Mile 14 in the Park and watch the sunset. This time of year, there are LOTS of moose, including big bulls, on this stretch of the road. Just watch for "moose jams" as cars will pull over. The place is riddled with pro photographers this time of year and they are really good at spotting wildlife.

There are a couple of good hikes near the Park entrance, but you don't have to attend the safety presentation for day hikes (although it would be a good idea to acquiant youself with wildlife encounter procedures). The Mt. Healy overlook is nice, but strenuous and there's also a nice hike to Horseshoe Lake. I like the Savage River loop and often see Dall sheep and marmot.

You should get on the ship as soon as possible and get all the boarding formalities taken care of. Then you can take a Kenai Fjords tour (amazing!) and/or visit the Sea Life Center and get back on board for dinner. I have also been a naturalist/lecturer on this ship and it is really beautiful. My favorite spot was the pool with the rocks and waterfall.

Whale watching is excellent in Icy Strait. For Ketchikan you might consider the fly/boat tour of Misty Fjords if you have the time in port (we did northbound, but I'm not sure about southbound).

Rather than train to Seward, check out a local cruise transfer company. I recommend http://www.anchoragetoursandtransfers.com. They will pick up at your hotel and handle your luggage which will save you a taxi ride and it costs less than the train ($67).

The railroad follows the highway most of the way so the scenery is the same either way. The shuttle, however, includes a narrated tour and picture stops as well as a visit to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center.

This poster is going to Seward not Whittier. And, you are wrong. on this run- Anchorage/Seward- of the Alaska RR, the scenery is significantly superior via train. Anchorage/Whittier, the two are parallel.

You should get on the ship as soon as possible and get all the boarding formalities taken care of. Then you can take a Kenai Fjords tour (amazing!) and/or visit the Sea Life Center and get back on board for dinner. I have also been a naturalist/lecturer on this ship and it is really beautiful. My favorite spot was the pool with the rocks and waterfall.

What time can you get on the ship? When I have cruised, which is only twice, we would not have been able to get on the ship in time to do what you are suggesting.

But check the rates for airport pick up. Occasionally you see airport pick up being the same price (or so close) that it isn't worth it to pay the $20 cab fare (usually each way) to pick up (and usually return) off-airport. You won't know until you compare both options.

A quick check for your dates shows you only save $30 by picking up a small car off-airport, even less of a savings for a larger car. Hardly worth it.

typically, you are only charged the airport surcharge (tax) if the vehicle is picked up at the airport. the cost of dropping it at the airport (after renting offsite) is the same as returning it to the original offsite location.

typically, you are only charged the airport surcharge (tax) if the vehicle is picked up at the airport. the cost of dropping it at the airport (after renting offsite) is the same as returning it to the original offsite location.

That's why I said "and usually" - some companies allow in-town pick ups and airport drop offs for no extra charge, some (like Enterprise) charge $30-$40 to return to the airport, if they allow it at all. In the poster's case, when I checked, it was not worth it to pick up in town, even if there was free airport drop off since the two rates were so close. It takes time and money to get from the airport to the in-town location.

Archived