The best thing onboard...

Jammy Bun

Right, since we've at last managed to get some life on the Fred section of the board, how about if everyone tells about the things they liked about cruising on a Fred ship. Be specific. Name the entertainers that most entertained you... the dancing...? the bars? which food or drinks can you recommend?

I'll start us off by saying on each of my last two Fred cruises (one on Balmoral, and the other on Braemar) I've enjoyed attending the painting classes, which in both cases were run by professional art tutors who made the classes fun and productive, in remarkably cramped and difficult weather conditions!

(and maybe someone else could start a thread about the things that aren't quite so good onboard. - That could be a more controversial theme!)

Hi Jammybun One of the things that made us book for a second time with Fred was the crew. We found them all to be proffesional and couteous from the officers who always spoke to you to the bar staff who learned your name by the second visit along with your favorite tipple and the cabin steward who really went the extra mile every day.:)

Hi Jammybun One of the things that made us book for a second time with Fred was the crew. We found them all to be proffesional and couteous from the officers who always spoke to you to the bar staff who learned your name by the second visit along with your favorite tipple and the cabin steward who really went the extra mile every day.:)

My OH liked the way you were shown to a table in Palm's Cafe,instead of having to wander around looking for a table. while your food got cold or trying to save a table while OH goes and gets their food:D We loved Palms so much we ate there several nights and on the last night we gave 2 of the waiters there a tip as I don't suppose they get many up there:(

We both enjoyed a lecture on the Braemar about the "Black Box" and the Comedian, neither of whose name I can remember . Perhaps Popsy Wopsy who was on the same cruise as us might remember their names.:confused:

The chap who gave the talk was an ex Concorde pilot,can,t remember his name and the comedian,who I,ve seen before on Olsen,although his patter was similar ,most of his material was new.

The Grumbleweeds on my last cruise ,must be the best I have ever seen,saw them years ago when there were 5 ,now only two ,but brilliant,must be the best double act in the UK.

The Merseybeats and the Fortunes,seen on Black Prince and Boudicca ,although I,m not into old rockers, they were top notch.

I think the best thing about cruising with Fred. is the passengers (those that dont moan or whinge)and the wonderful crew.

Go to facebook and join The official Fred. Olsen fanclub.:D

Thanks for this new thread, I have jumped cruise lines to go with Fred next year. I booked them on the strength of all the reports I have read and, of course the destinations.

Also the fact that they sail from Scotland helps.

Ron

Only sailed on the Braemar so can only talk for that.

Going on Boudica in April tho.

We sail with Thomson's as well and we love them. We would not cruise everytime with FO or Thomsons or P&O but we mix them up, as each line has different qualities

Good things in our eyes about FO:

FO target a certain age group so they do not have to pander to everybody. They pander to their target market and long may it continue.

Everybody dresses "up" for Dinner.

Stylish decor.

Feels like a cruise ship not a floating Las Vega Hotel.

We love the Theme nights.

No kids and sorry but make no excuses for that.

Good manners from 99% of fellow passengers

Not so good:

A bit quite after 11.30pm, dancing by ourselves to the band.

Show Lounge layout not the best on the Braemar.

And that's about it for negatives.

Pricless though was when a trick went belly up on the Panama Cruise in Feb. Anybody else recall it? Women holding a credit card calculator and the entertainer with sticking tape over his eyes trying to identify it.

I like the longer cruise on the Fred. Olsen ships because you tend to meet so many fellow passengers whom you have sailed with before. In some cases it is a virtual reunion. I like the atmosphere of relaxation so that you can do as much or as little as you like. The crew are great whether it be the Captain on his regular "walkabouts" around the ship or the waiters and cabin stewardesses who become friends.

A single thing was on one cruise some time ago was that John Humphries (of the "Today" programme on the BBC) was a guest speaker. Many speakers are good but he was first class.

On one recent cruise when we disembarked the Captain shook hands with everyone to say "au revoir". A nice touch epitomizing the friendly nature of these ships.:)

I like Fred Olsen because he still caters for single travellers.

The best moment was on the last leg of the World Cruise (Balmoral) from South Africa this year when we went on the top deck, the Captain had all the lights turned out and he pointed out out the stars.

As others have said, the crews are marvellous and I love the crew shows.

Of course, it is good not to have children taking over the ship!

playing "Spot Jammybun" was fun!

Ha! But it took you a while! And should have been so easy, having seen the photo of our motley crew.

Hope you and Mr bobs are OK, and looking forward to Christmas. I certainly am, as for the first time in many years I shan't have any chores to do!

My friend and travelling companion J is frantically searching for a cruise for the 5 of us for next year - it's the availability of a single balcony cabin for H that's the problem. Now that he's experienced that grade he's reluctant to go back to just having a window!

Jammy

We are both well, will be glad when the snow has finally gone! The thought of sailing of into the Bay of Biscay seems quite appealing today, there will be ten of us here over Christmas, I am trying to remember where we all slept last year and who I borrowed inflatable mattresses from......

Cruising has a strange effect on you , we are (well, I am) thinking of next years hols and nothing seems to be appealing to me........I keep comparing everything to a cruise and a cruise wins! Even a cruise where sick bags and rain featured highly! Watch this space!

I saw L today, even she seems to have donned rose coloured spectacles although they have booked a Greek Island holiday next year.

To get back to your thread, one of the things we enjoyed on the Braemar was the sense of occasion - dressing for dinner and the formality of the dining was really enjoyable, and we thought the food and service was of a great standard.

Entertainment:

classical pianist Bartosz Barasinski and the comedian/magician (can't remember his name) on Black Prince, Christmas 2008

classical duo Geoffrey & Penelope Haydock Boudicca, July 2010

Dance Hosts teaching us to Ballroom dance on Braemar, transatlantic Oct 2007

Singer Rey on various cruises

Craft classes on a number of cruises

Why we like Fred:

quiz questions we have a chance of knowing the answers to

opportunity to practise our newly learned dancing skills

dressing up for dinner

teaspoons not wooden stirrers

kettles in rooms

relatively few children

friendly passengers and staff

everybody speaks English

Particularly important to us:

no 15% charge on drinks

ability to buy alcohol for in cabin drinking

Chris & Dave

What do I like....

Excellent waiters – I have been on two Black Watch cruises with my mum in the last year. On the second, one of the waiters passing me in the corridor on the first day not only remembered my name, but asked how my mum was!

Excellent food. And nothing too much trouble. My son sometimes had two main courses instead of a starter, my mum needs gluten-free and my dad is diabetic – everything well catered for.

Dinner companions – we’ve met some lovely people at dinner, and stayed in contact with many. The small size of the ships means that you ‘bump into’ friends all the time.

Port Enhancement Lectures with details of the history of the ports and lots of ideas about what to do in them (as distinct from Port Talks – which seem to be purely a way of selling the excursions).

RE-children on Fred Olsen

I have just returned from a short cruise on "Black Watch". There were about 30 children and nothing special for them. However, they were very well behaved. Perhaps this says something about the type of people who criuise on Fred Olsen and who know how to keep their offsprings in check.

• 1 month later...

After our Balmoral cruise in January I would like to add to this thread how much we enjoyed the singing of Jamie Clarke; one of the cruise staff who gave the occasional concert.

In our opinion he's the best singer we've ever heard on any cruise.

• 2 months later...

Archived