Just booked our room at MacDill AFB

Drew's Wife

We always leave the day before our cruise, even though we are only about three hours from the ports. Our next cruise is out of Tampa and although that is only about an hour North of us, we booked a room at MacDill AFB the night before our cruise. We enjoy staying on the bases, and it's just become part of the cruise tradition for us.:D

This is one base that we haven't stayed at, so if anyone has stayed there and has any pictures of the rooms, would love it if you would share your photos. The TML at Patrick AFB is really nice and we really enjoy staying there, hopefully MacDill will be the same. Anyway, you can't beat the prices for a nights lodging.:)

I've probably stayed at MacDill 6 times in the last 15 years, but there is nothing memorable about the rooms (unless you consider the DV suites). The rooms constitute predictable, good USAF quality and price and are centrally located on the base, albeit a bit of a drive from the big BX/Commissary complex. No pictures - never felt the need to take them.

Drew's Wife.. I'm in the Air Force Services field (includes MWR-lodging) and you can find pics of their rooms here http://dodlodging.net/ and then work your way through the maps until you can choose MacDill

They're typical GOOD Air Force quality rooms.. more than Hotel 8 but less than Hilton (but that's not our business model)

Enjoy!

Drew's Wife.. I'm in the Air Force Services field (includes MWR-lodging) and you can find pics of their rooms here http://dodlodging.net/ and then work your way through the maps until you can choose MacDill

They're typical GOOD Air Force quality rooms.. more than Hotel 8 but less than Hilton (but that's not our business model)

Enjoy!

Thank you so much! They are not bad at all..can't beat the price. We have stayed at a lot of bases over the years. Most are pretty basic, but nice enough.

Patrick AFB has really nice lodging. Now I can't say too much for the little FEMA like trailers at Key West Naval Base!:eek::D The High Rise Lodging looked rather nice. The lunch buffet was really good.

We just enjoy staying on base when they are available. Drew still misses the Air Force after being retired all these years. Says he needs to go up and get a whiff of "jet fuel" once in a while.:D He is so funny. Just one more reason I love and adore him so much.

Thanks again for your help.

Never even gave a thought to staying on base. How far is the base (McDill) from the cruise port or airport? Also wondering about shuttle service (Super Shuttle, etc). Thanks.

I think it is about 15 miles from the Airport to the Base and about 8 miles from the Base to the Port of Tampa. But I don't know anything about any shuttle service.

We only go to Tampa about once a month to go to the base. Whenever we fly or cruise out of Tampa we drive there, and use the parking garages.

Sorry I couldn't help more with that, but maybe someone else might have some information on the shuttles.

• 2 months later...

Slightly different topic, but since somebody mentioned it, we used the housing at Key West NAS. Given the very high cost of hotels in Key West, we thought it was competely worthwhile to use the NAS lodging there. From what I remember, it was far from exotic, but very acceptable, and we'd do it again.

I do often consider military lodging when putting together travels. Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it's either too far out of the way, or costs the same as a basic hotel room anyway, etc.

Slightly off topic. Another great perk at many military bases are the RV camp grounds. My cousins travel all around the country in their RV and when they get tired of the land travel they just book a cruise and leave their camper at the closest base. Most you can book for up to 14 days. Since we are all originaly from Tampa, I grew up visiting McDill with family and friends, and I know my cousins have used camp grounds in CA and TX for cruising stops. My DH is retired 100% disabled and we always can get the military rate but sometime dont when the early savers is lower. We also always get the modified cabins.

• 3 weeks later...
Never even gave a thought to staying on base. How far is the base (McDill) from the cruise port or airport? Also wondering about shuttle service (Super Shuttle, etc). Thanks.

We've stayed at Homestead AFRB base, left our car in the lighted and secured area of MWR, and taken the Super Shuttle to Fort Lauderdale; the car was at Homestead for seven weeks while we cruised "Around the Horn" when Splendor repositioned to Long Beach two years ago. A carefree experience, and one we're looking to repeat over the years!

Slightly different topic, but since somebody mentioned it, we used the housing at Key West NAS. Given the very high cost of hotels in Key West, we thought it was competely worthwhile to use the NAS lodging there. From what I remember, it was far from exotic, but very acceptable, and we'd do it again.

I do often consider military lodging when putting together travels. Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it's either too far out of the way, or costs the same as a basic hotel room anyway, etc.

Key West NAS lodging was completely renovated in 2009, and it's great!

• 5 weeks later...

we just did a RC cruise out of Tampa, however stayed at the Marriot waterfront, a great place to stay and very near the port. Only a $6 cab ride for two folks. If you are still a government employee, you can get government rates at the Marriot. It will run about $110.00 for the night, but the convoince of having a restuarant and other nice ammentities within the hotel and nearby is always a big plus. have fun!:cool:

• 4 weeks later...

We stayed at J-Ville a few months ago, right on the bay, we asked for a Suite and it was "the ComAirLant" suite for $59.00 and right down from the golf course. Our large picture window looked right on the bay. I'm retired Army E-6 SSG so no preference is given on rank,if available you can get it and the folks were perfect, highly recommend if going on a cruise out of J-Ville, FL.

We stayed at J-Ville a few months ago, right on the bay, we asked for a Suite and it was "the ComAirLant" suite for $59.00 and right down from the golf course. Our large picture window looked right on the bay. I'm retired Army E-6 SSG so no preference is given on rank,if available you can get it and the folks were perfect, highly recommend if going on a cruise out of J-Ville, FL.

THANKS for this post!!

• 2 weeks later...
We always leave the day before our cruise' date=' even though we are only about three hours from the ports. Our next cruise is out of Tampa and although that is only about an hour North of us, we booked a room at MacDill AFB the night before our cruise. We enjoy staying on the bases, and it's just become part of the cruise tradition for us.:D[/b']

This is one base that we haven't stayed at, so if anyone has stayed there and has any pictures of the rooms, would love it if you would share your photos. The TML at Patrick AFB is really nice and we really enjoy staying there, hopefully MacDill will be the same. Anyway, you can't beat the prices for a nights lodging.:)

Smart move have to love the base out of all the ones we've stayed at MacDill is one of the nicer ones.

Smart move have to love the base out of all the ones we've stayed at MacDill is one of the nicer ones.

Our last cruise was in January. Had a really nice time. The Lodging at MacDill was very nice. Going on a trip in a few weeks and scheduled to stay at Wright-Patterson AFB. Here are a some photos of the lodging we had at MacDill. Typical TML, but it was clean, convenient, safe, and very reasonable in price.:)

1834611260_Jan9-15MacDillCeymanCozumel010.jpg.0a1d692ce840ad3fe13af5ef73c385e6.jpg

571139938_Jan9-15MacDillCeymanCozumel011.jpg.f1df9792ade1f5178569c1705b6bb7b2.jpg

1817429247_Jan9-15MacDillCeymanCozumel007.jpg.a9a65f8c452c35cee93e01d25a4583ca.jpg

358630715_Jan9-15MacDillCeymanCozumel013.jpg.13bc6d0700fe2a24e3da205741f99a11.jpg

1892700555_Jan9-15MacDillCeymanCozumel003.jpg.426be6f236a46ed5038a55a877b4359d.jpg

1056772791_Jan9-15MacDillCeymanCozumel002.jpg.37edc60bac5bbd4997e67be6df7a551a.jpg

Archived