Perhaps Carnival could do this...

Tom-n-Cheryl

I am spending a little time over on the NCL boards as we have a sailing coming up on the Epic in February. The rumor on the NCL board a couple of months ago was that there was filming going on for "something" - presumably an episode of Undercover Boss. Well, that was just confirmed. It is not that I would like to see Cahill try the same (though any cruise related show interests me) - but what piqued my interest was that a spokesperson for NCL actually posted on the thread. Click on the small ">" symbol in the quoted text to see the original post.

Hi All,

We are very excited about our upcoming episode on "Undercover Boss!" We don't have an air date as of yet, but we are hoping it will be in early January -- one of the first 2 Sunday nights. Please continue to check our website at http://www.ncl.com/undercoverboss or our Facebook page (http://www.ncl.com/facebook). As soon as we have an air date, we will post it.

Best,

Norwegian Cruise Line

Most of us realize that some person/group of people from CCL must read the boards, they just don't post/reply. I do though acknowledge that Carnival does provide "official" feedback through their own Funville forums.

So if any other cruise fanatics out there want to add something to their DVR list - this might be one to consider!

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

There was just a Carnival post the other day, but I forget what it was regarding. Now it will bug me and I'll have to try to look for it, lol.

Thanks for the heads up on the show. I've watched it several times, and I'm starting to have a hard time swallowing that, since it's been on for quite a while now, the employees aren't suspicious at this point and what they truely do/feel/act is actually captured anymore. But it is cruise related, so I'll be watching, lol.

Thanks for the heads up on the show. I've watched it several times, and I'm starting to have a hard time swallowing that, since it's been on for quite a while now, the employees aren't suspicious at this point and what they truely do/feel/act is actually captured anymore. But it is cruise related, so I'll be watching, lol.

Agreed, some must be living under quite the rock to still buy the "two people are competing for 1 position reality TV show" line! Of course, the crew on a ship are not your "normal" population!

Tom

Agreed, some must be living under quite the rock to still buy the "two people are competing for 1 position reality TV show" line! Of course, the crew on a ship are not your "normal" population!

Tom

LOL! Guess they haven't seen any episodes? Imagine that! :D

Thanks for the heads up about the show. We like to watch it but are casual viewers and would have likely missed it!

I too, will be watching the show, but trust me, you don't want to be aboard when they are filming ANYTHING! We've had that unfortunate experience. We were aboard "Pride" when she was new, and Carnival was filming a commercial on our cruise. It nearly ruined the cruise for the regular passengers. They'd run EVERYONE out of an area, put in their actors, (the beautiful people who were supposed to be the regular passengers) and film for hours. They did this on the Lido deck, the atrium, and in many of the other areas of the ship. It was a BUMMER! :eek:

"SKY"

Just in case your interested. Something else that NCL does that CCL doesn't is for CC members. I'm not sure if NCL checks the roll calls, or the person in charge of our roll call contacted them, but at our meet and greet we had the head of hotels, the cruise director, the commedian, and a chef. Who sat with us for an hour and talked and answered any questions we might of had. Than they scheduled us a special tour of the bridge. In my 13 cruises on CCL none of this has ever happened, we get the galley tour for being Platinum that on our last cruise lasted 15 minutes, that includes his before and after questions/answers, it was bad!

Quite frankly, Tom, I don't see Cahill or any of his representatives doing this. The simple reason is, I don't think he'd want to come face to face with the less than stellar experience his cutbacks have caused. It's all good when one's head is in the sand. You know?

Just in case your interested. Something else that NCL does that CCL doesn't is for CC members. I'm not sure if NCL checks the roll calls, or the person in charge of our roll call contacted them, but at our meet and greet we had the head of hotels, the cruise director, the commedian, and a chef. Who sat with us for an hour and talked and answered any questions we might of had. Than they scheduled us a special tour of the bridge. In my 13 cruises on CCL none of this has ever happened, we get the galley tour for being Platinum that on our last cruise lasted 15 minutes, that includes his before and after questions/answers, it was bad!

On my NCL sailings, we have had up to 10 officers show up at the meet & greets . . . plus they put out a nice spread of cookies, muffins, coffee, juice, etc. On the Dawn this past spring, at the meeting, you could sign up for a dinner with an officer . . . which we did with the front desk manager ( i forget the official title). I thought it might be boring but it was great - the dinner was in the MDR (but w/wine) and we had just casual conversation in which we could ask anything! thoroughly enjoyed it.

Bob Dickinson did something similar on a PBS program called Back to the Floor.

http://www.pbs.org/opb/backtothefloor/carnival/index.htm

Ah yes, I recall that vaguely! I wonder if that's floating around out there on YouTube?

I think we all would love to watch that (again, in our case)!

Tom

Just in case your interested. Something else that NCL does that CCL doesn't is for CC members. I'm not sure if NCL checks the roll calls, or the person in charge of our roll call contacted them, but at our meet and greet we had the head of hotels, the cruise director, the commedian, and a chef. Who sat with us for an hour and talked and answered any questions we might of had.

I found that NCL treats Cruise Critic Members especially nicely. The officers do show up at the Meet & Greet (the ones who can squeeze it in) and they are there for a good while answering questions as well as taking suggestions.

On my NCL sailings, we have had up to 10 officers show up at the meet & greets . . . plus they put out a nice spread of cookies, muffins, coffee, juice, etc. On the Dawn this past spring, at the meeting, you could sign up for a dinner with an officer . . . which we did with the front desk manager ( i forget the official title). I thought it might be boring but it was great - the dinner was in the MDR (but w/wine) and we had just casual conversation in which we could ask anything! thoroughly enjoyed it.

NCL understands the power of this 'little' web site.

On CCL, they act like they never heard of cruise critic.....:rolleyes: which is bull.

Even the outside vendors that do excursions are well aware of CC...We've had several ask us to make sure to post our experiences here to tell everyone what a great time we had. For instance, Cosol Tours (St Lucia)...Cosol told us himself that because of cruise Critic, he was able to pay off his very first van in no time flat and then proceeded to purchase and pay in full, for eight more. He credits CC for this....the same with the Cave Tubing Tour in Belize that we took...Yhonni was well aware of CC and wanted us to have good things to say when we got back.

NCL has treated our roll calls wonderfully. On my very first NCL cruise there were over 100 of us on the roll call. It was a 15 day cruise. Most showed for the Meet and Greet. many officers showed up and I was so surprised by the whole 'event'.

One of the Roll call members (Jetskier~~ Dave) organized a cocktail party for us (which we paid a small price for, of course) and then NCL graciously offered us a second cocktail party at no charge during the second half of that cruise and it was for two hours.

Can you imagine Carnival doing that??? I think not.

Actually, I can't even imagine NCL ever doing that again....:eek:

That was quite above and beyond, imo.

NCL's constant striving to make things memorable is what won me over with them. I could make a list of things that I experienced on my NCL sailings (even though I have only completed 4 of them) that were nothing like I had ever experienced (as far as hospitality) on any of the other lines I have sailed.

This is not an attack on CCL...I still love my CCL cruises, but right now NCL is def my favorite line.

Archived