Do they actually weigh you for excursions?

gaubow

Sounded like a reasonable question to me. I also did not get the impression the OP was trying to get away with something. Sometimes we read more into these posts then actually is intended. I would think a little wiggle room is built into the weight restriction not so much for the customer but for the business owner.

On a HAL trip to Alaska we were weighed for a helicopter tour of a glacier. I surmise because they were shoving 5 passengers and one pilot into a chopper built for four. Not only did they weigh us,,they weighed us on a big scale like you weigh cargo so everyone in the building could check your weight. I am not too over weight at all (maybe 10 pounds),,my wife at the time was though and she says that was the reason she joined weight watchers and lost over 50 pounds (and kept it off for over 4 years now).

I have never been weighed for horseback riding anywhere. I have seen it on the helicopter flights in Alaska. No judgment here. I won't worry about whether they weigh you or not. I am far more worried about the equipment... whether it be horses, helicopters, or ziplines. Is the equipment in sound, working condition? Does it appear to be in good repair? Well-taken care of? If I see less than desirable conditions, I have been known to walk away. Otherwise, go for it and enjoy yourself!

For example a very musculature person is going to weigh more than some folks with a large amount of fat...but the musculature person that works out and is simply heavy because the muscle weighs more

10 lbs of muscle weighs...

the same as..

10 lbs of fat

10 lbs of sugar

10 lbs of nuts and bolts

10 lbs of feathers

10 lbs of potatoes

:rolleyes:

enjoy your excursion if you see that the horses are not healthy or can't steady themselves with you on it... then feed it a carrot and find another fun thing to do... whispers my family rode horses in mexico and altho the horse seemed to small for my husband to ride, the horse trotted along with no hesitation.

I haven't read all the replies but I want to say something so excuse me if it's already been said....

I spent some time working around horses and can tell you that it is so detrimental to a horse to carry that much weight. If I had horses, no one would ride them if they were above 225....that would be the limit.

It doesn't matter how well you carry your weight. The horse doesn't know if you are 240 at 6'7" or 240 and 5'5"....all the horse knows is it is carrying 240 pounds.

You are at the weight limit, so technically you can ride. I would just think about the animal if I were you.

I know that once we went riding in Mexico and I felt so bad for those horses...First of all horses in mexico are NOT equal to horses in the US. They are so much smaller...and let's face it, they are probably used to carrying smaller people too.

I don't want to sound harsh, especially considering I am no skinny-minnie....so don't take this as an insult. Just please rethink this. :)

I am going to leave it at this: I will assume that the owner/operator knows what he is doing and will let me know if it won't work. I'll let you all know if I see a scale or not:)

worth mentioning again, though that my intention is to come in around 5lbs under the limit and expect to do so.

worth mentioning again, though that my intention is to come in around 5lbs under the limit and expect to do so.

I do wish you luck...and I hope they give you a nice big horse!!

Have fun :)

I just recalled a funny story that I thought I would mention. I have a friend who used to be very large....she decided to have gastric bypass surgery quite a few years ago...The reason she finally decided after years of obesity??? She went to the grand canyon and got on a mule and told us she nearly killed it.

(The way she told the story it was very funny...but then again, we aren't that mule :eek:)

Anyway, I do wish you luck. :)

We have ridden the horses at Stone Island. They are like ponies. They are very small. I would not do it again as they weren't well cared for and my daughter started crying because of it. And she is an adult. I hear Randi's horses are better cared for so hope you are going with her. Have fun.

So, my family of 5 are signed up for horseback riding in Cabo. I am a little heavier than my usual weight, right at 240. 240 is the weight restricition. Pretty sure that I can lose 5 lbs in the next 9 days or so. My wife tells me that I carry my weight well. (is she just saying that?)

The worry is, though, we do have 2 days at sea prior to the excursion, so I will be eating bad food i am sure if I don't "watch it". Also, what if their scales are heavy? We all know that scales don't weigh the same... few pounds either way.

Do I really need to worry so much about cutting weight? Is it worth watching what i eat (and drink) for the first two days of the cruise?

I read on a thread that the operator of a zip line excursion did pull out a scale for a customer, but I am thinking that may be more for safety?

Has anyone seen them pull out a scale on anyone for horseback riding?

Thanks for any help and advice.

LOL - I love how you can cherrypick the answers........ sorry, but you are admittedly over your ideal weight, at or hovering around the weight limit for the excursion, and you are worried they might weigh you?

I'm not surprised that some responses have been to the effect that you might like to think about something other than yourself - i.e. the poor animal destined to carry you.

Sit this one out and give the animal a break...........

We have ridden the horses at Stone Island. They are like ponies. They are very small. I would not do it again as they weren't well cared for and my daughter started crying because of it. And she is an adult. I hear Randi's horses are better cared for so hope you are going with her. Have fun.

Randi's horses are very well cared for. When we rode with Randi, one of the ladies who rode with us participated in horse shows. She was very impressed with the operation. They do not let you ride in the surf because it is dangerous for the horses. They are well fed, well groomed and perfectly shoed.

So, I am to assume, then that 235-240 is cruel for me to ride the horse? At what weight is it not cruel and who determines that weight if I cannot trust the operator.

Feel like this has turned into an animal rights issue when I was merely asking if they weigh you because scales can vary significantly.

Got my answers, thanks.

It is up to the operator to know their horses I would guess... if you feel comfy getting on a horse and the operator say YES then do it... I am not an animal right crusader never have never will be.. altho I do love animals... I expect the owner operators to make the call... and if my hubby being a big man would say he wanted to ride a horse I would say ummm NOT going to happen... it is common sense really;)

So, I am to assume, then that 235-240 is cruel for me to ride the horse? At what weight is it not cruel and who determines that weight if I cannot trust the operator.

Feel like this has turned into an animal rights issue when I was merely asking if they weigh you because scales can vary significantly.

Got my answers, thanks.

You can be the judge when you see the horses....the point is that many places in Mexico have tiny horses that aren't in great health....

You need to use your own conscious with this. Some operators in Mexico are looking to make money...You don't work in Mexico, you don't eat, so they need to look out for themselves before they look out for their horses, you know what I mean?? If you see a sturdy, well fed, large horse, then don't fret, they are not going to weigh you. :)

You can be the judge when you see the horses....the point is that many places in Mexico have tiny horses that aren't in great health....

You need to use your own conscious with this. Some operators in Mexico are looking to make money...You don't work in Mexico, you don't eat, so they need to look out for themselves before they look out for their horses, you know what I mean?? If you see a sturdy, well fed, large horse, then don't fret. :)

I agree pretty much said the same in my last post.. common sense;)

Just another example of "Me" first.

I don't believe that is the case. The OP just didn't think about it.

Most people who don't ride don't understand that horses (which seem so massive and strong) can't really handle a lot of weight on their backs, especially if the rider is inexperienced.

Ok. I have unbooked my excursion through Carnival in Cabo.

I have an email in to Randi's horses in Mazatlan. Everything that I have read seems to point to the quality of this place. I told her my situation, that I MAY be right at the limit of the other place. I'll let her decide.

Two reasons I think I'll be ok, is that this excursion is two days earlier on the cruise ( gotta be worth a pound or two or I am not doing something right, right?:)) and on her website, it appears that there are people bigger/heavier than me on her horses.

Still not sure how this is a "me first" question. I don't set the weight requirements on the horses.

On a HAL trip to Alaska we were weighed for a helicopter tour of a glacier. I surmise because they were shoving 5 passengers and one pilot into a chopper built for four. Not only did they weigh us,,they weighed us on a big scale like you weigh cargo so everyone in the building could check your weight. I am not too over weight at all (maybe 10 pounds),,my wife at the time was though and she says that was the reason she joined weight watchers and lost over 50 pounds (and kept it off for over 4 years now).

That is to establish weight and balance for the flight. In such a case it’s a big deal, because it effects the aircrafts performance and take off. That, you don’t want to mess with.

Archived