Motor Coach Travel Time???

jackie O

We are looking at a Princess Alaska Cruise. Does anyone know the travel times from Fairbanks to Denali by coach vs rail? How about the travel from Denali to Talkeetha by coach vs rail???? I really like the "F" package but wish it had all rail and no coach. Or is this not a problem. Is there an upgrade to all rail? Any info. will be very helpful!!

Thanks!

Jackie O first time with Princess

So many of my friends have been disappointed going to Denali, because the rising/falling conditions of Alaska soil, and rockslides, can wipe out all access to Denali. The train AND the road. One friend was stuck in Fairbanks 3 gloomy days with her luggage already departed on a truck to the lodge in the park. Mother Nature has her way, just wanted to caution to be flexible and, I guess, "forewarned is forearmed."

Travel time on train is about 5-6 hours each leg. We were told that the bus is about 1 to 1.5 hours longer to Denali, about the same to McKinley (the depot is a bit away from the lodge, so you make up the time by going direct.

That said, the train is way more comfortable, better viewing and they have a dining area... If it means tweaking the itinerary or spending a tad more, find one that has the train as much as possible.

So many of my friends have been disappointed going to Denali, because the rising/falling conditions of Alaska soil, and rockslides, can wipe out all access to Denali. The train AND the road. One friend was stuck in Fairbanks 3 gloomy days with her luggage already departed on a truck to the lodge in the park. Mother Nature has her way, just wanted to caution to be flexible and, I guess, "forewarned is forearmed."

Ah...........always someone in the wings ready to give us some "doom and gloom." "So many of your friends.?" How come we never hear about this. Fairbanks was wonderful. Denali was wonderful. That's what we hear and nothing about Alaska soil and rockslides. When are these things happening? :rolleyes:

Rail Fairbanks to Denali: 4 hrs. http://www.alaskatravel.com/alaska-railroad/schedule.html?gclid=CJi_4sWK9aUCFQk5gwodUTLfpA

Driving Fairbanks to Denali: 125 miles...I don't know how many stops the coach takes, but it certainly shouldn't take more than 3 hours.

Rail Denali to Talkeetna: 4-5 hours, plus you have to take the shuttle from Talkeetna back to the McKinley Princess (I'm assuming you're there for the night).

Driving Denali to Talkeetna: 123 miles...again, shouldn't be more than 3 hours. And if you're going to the McKinley Princess rather than Talkeetna, much less.

All rail will eat up a lot of time!

Travel time on train is about 5-6 hours each leg. We were told that the bus is about 1 to 1.5 hours longer to Denali, about the same to McKinley (the depot is a bit away from the lodge, so you make up the time by going direct.

That said, the train is way more comfortable, better viewing and they have a dining area... If it means tweaking the itinerary or spending a tad more, find one that has the train as much as possible.

Have you been there? This is incorrect. By rail- It is 4+ hours Fairbanks/Denali Denali/ Talkeetna 4.5 hours. Add 1 hour back to the McKinley Princess Lodge. The bus is NEVER longer. Fairbanks/Denali 2+ hours. Denali/Talkeetna another 2.75 hours+

The train is not more scenic, it just about parallels the Parks Highway, on these segments. A whole different story, Anchorage/Seward-which Princess does not do. Princess also has table seating, which some people don't know about. So 2 people ride backwards the entire segment.

Also you will be to/from Whittier. More transit time to consider. :)

Archived