Snorkeling at Nassau or COCOCAY

ktrwe1

I am on enchantment on Jan 8th. My family (inc 3 kids, 7, 11,13) want to go snorkeling. None of us have ever been snorkeling. Is the snorkeling better at Nassau or Cococay? Is it worth the money to buy our own snorkeling equipment and if we do can we use our equipment and go snorkeling on our own, or do we still have to sign up for a snorkeling tour? As far as vests, If I bring my kids life vests (not a snorkeling vest) is that acceptable, or would we still have to rent a snorkeling vest?

TIA

As for Cococay, I don't know if the kids vest is acceptable or not, but I think they do expect you to rent their vest if you don't have any for around $7.

I think to rent the snorkel, mask, fins and vest it is around $29

I've never snorkeled in Nassau so I can't give you a good comparison.

4962280623_7b92fa47b2_z.jpg

4962871154_875813c617_z.jpg

4962286279_74f4a158d5_z.jpg

I have not snorkeled in Nassau, but I have twice at Cococay. I actually plan on snorkeling there again on our cruise when we are there on Tuesday. If you have never snorkeled and we hadn't until Cococay a few years ago when we decided to try it(our kids were 15 and 11 at the time), I think is was ideal. You won't find anywhere that you can snorkel with the equipment for $29. You have the equipment for the entire day. If your kids like it, they can be out there all day. If they don't, you won't be out much money. The only drawback that I see at Cococay is that you have to go alittle ways from the beach(wade and swim) to get to the reef and plane wreck(best viewing). They have a small shipwreck that is much closer in with fish usually swimming around it. If you go on an "excursion," they will drop you right on top of the fish. Most excursions are going to limit you time-wise and they will be double or triple the 29 dollar deal at Cococay. I am sure whatever you decide, your kids will enjoy!

Snorkeling at Cococay is great. There is an instruction class before going out into the water. They also have a map on a large board. Vests are required. I am not sure if you can use what you have. We always rent vests and fins. We have our own snorkels.

Since you have kids and you've never been snorkeling you may be more comfortable snorkeling at Cococay as it has sevral sheltered coves on different sides of the island depending on the wind. The snorkeling a ways off the main beach is the best though with coral beds and lots of fish The water doesn't get clear until you swim out for a few minutes but the furthe out and to the left you go the more you see.

I've been diving and snorkeling in Nassau and Stuarts Cove is really a great outfit. My bf and i did the shark/reef snorkel combo and that was a once in a lifetime for sure! Believe it or not two of the families had kids that I called "shark bait" size and they were out in the open water with the rest of us paddeling and pointing at the sharks swimming around us..lol! They absolutley loved it and we got a real kick (no pun intended) out of swimming with them :)

Get your own equipment even if you only get mask. The only thing that will ruin such a magical moment is a poorly fit mask that hurts and/or leaks...you want to keep an eye on those sharks..lol

Just returned from snorkeling at Coco Cay. It was just like it was the other two times-GREAT!! The water was alittle cool and the current was strong in a couple spots, but the variety of fish and sea creatures makes it more than worth it!!

I am on enchantment on Jan 8th. My family (inc 3 kids, 7, 11,13) want to go snorkeling. None of us have ever been snorkeling. Is the snorkeling better at Nassau or Cococay? Is it worth the money to buy our own snorkeling equipment and if we do can we use our equipment and go snorkeling on our own, or do we still have to sign up for a snorkeling tour? As far as vests, If I bring my kids life vests (not a snorkeling vest) is that acceptable, or would we still have to rent a snorkeling vest?

TIA

A life vest will not work for snorkeling. A life vest keeps you upright, and a snorkeling vest allows you to float on your belly.

You'll need to rent a snorkeling vest.

• 1 month later...

Archived