Bear Creek Outfitters, Juneau - fly fishing trip?

oliverweagle

Hi there - I am exploring the possibilities of a fly-out fly fishing trip while in Juneau next year. I have sent numerous e-mails to Bear Creek Outfitters (who have a very nice website - but I guess anyone can build one of those!) but have received no response whatsoever. Does anyone have any personal experience with is outfit - or know if they are still in business?

Thanks,

Ollie:confused:

A couple of things....

A possible reason that you may not have received an answer is that no one is available to respond right now. Some of the excursion people travel during the off season, relocate, work elsewhere, etc. and can't be reached year round.

Also, there are several previous posts on this board that state that Bear Creek Outfitters can only be booked through the cruiselines, such as the following thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=829753&highlight=bear+creek+outfitters

Since that thread is a couple of years old, the comments may or may not be valid for the upcoming year and is worth checking out on your own. I would guess that you will receive a response from them eventually. If you don't hear from them, try again in a couple of months. It sounds like the people who took their excursions were well satisfied.

Hi there - I am exploring the possibilities of a fly-out fly fishing trip while in Juneau next year. I have sent numerous e-mails to Bear Creek Outfitters (who have a very nice website - but I guess anyone can build one of those!) but have received no response whatsoever. Does anyone have any personal experience with is outfit - or know if they are still in business?

Thanks,

Ollie:confused:

Under Things You Need to Know:

All of our guides are well-versed in providing casting and fishing instruction regardless of your skill level. Each is certified in first aid and CPR, and highly experienced in wilderness safety. Alaska's long winters give them the opportunity to travel and fish throughout Europe, Costa Rica, Belize

and beyond.

I think that's your answer. It's not just 'some' vendors who take the winter off, it's most. Only the large, corporate vendors are going to have someone answering the phone or email in the winter. As this appears to be a small operation, I wouldn't expect any reply until early in 2011 at the soonest.

My husband and two sons and a friend have taken this excursions on several occasions by booking through the ship and they have loved it. Caught so many fish, saw bear, whales, eagles, etc. They have been told that they definitely can book independently and plan on going and booking with them directly for this coming cruise in 2011. We have emailed several weeks ago and haven't heard yet either. I'm not worried about that as the posters say because there is probably no one available to answer emails. I hope to hear as it gets closer to spring and if I don't I'll email again. Hope this helps.;)

Archived