New to Oceania - 2 Initial Important Questions

Wannaknow

We just booked 6/29 Regatta to Alaska. Airfare is included. Has anyone used Oceania provided flights or is it better to get your own? It's only about a 3 hr. flight from LA to Vancouver.

For cruise insurance, I've always heard it's best to get your own private insurance. Do you Oceania cruisers feel the same way?

We would much appreciate your insight.

For such a short flight you're probably better off just using Oceania's air as the credit will probably not be that much.

As for travel insurance NEVER buy it from the cruise line. If there is a problem who do you think the cruise line will side with?

First check and see what the credit is. Then you can compare it to what you can book yourself. Also be aware that the credit can change so if you are quoted a good credit, take it, you can always add it back in at final payment if you decide you want to take Oceania's air. You can even get Oceania to indicate your flights through them and then if you don't like them, take the air credit and do your own.

I agree it is always better to buy private insurance.

The two O cruises we've taken (the second actually next month) we have used O's airfare. We've asked for air deviations, since we like to fly in a few days early and recover from jet lag before beginning the cruise.

O has been most accommodating in meeting our wishes. No red eye flights, no crazy connections or long layovers, and they did their best to meet our wishes and needs (flight times, airports to avoid, etc.). O will propose your flights, and if you do not like what they offer you do not have to accept; you will not be charged if you do not accept. From these boards I've been told you can even propose your own itinerary to them. In both our instances the only charge we've paid is the $100 per person air deviation fee, but if there is a fare difference due to your deviation request, you are charged that as well.

I cannot speak about their service without the air deviations, so maybe someone else can answer that question.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for the info Retired FL. That's what we'll do. I hate red-eye flights.

Have any of you used the Oceania airline travel and been pleased with it:) or displeased:(???

We have used Oceania flights for 2 out of our 4 cruises - we had lots of points from American Airlines, so we took the air credit and used the points for a Athens - Istanbul cruise. For Alaska, we took the $750 air credit and will book our own flights for about $400.

The two times we used Oceania air,we were very pleased with the arrangements - we did the air deviation and let Oceania suggest out flights to Barcelona and home from Lisbon - they mixed airlines and had us flying over with Lufthansa and back with British Air for only about $100 extra - it would have been a fortune had we done it ourselves.

The second time is for our upcoming Marina cruise and they put us on the requested British Air flights to and from London for no extra money.

I don't think I could ever recommend a cruise without an air deviation, as I think you should always arrive in the embarkation city at least a day early to recover from jet lag and have extra maneuver room in case of flight cancellation or delay.

TKS and Benita - many thanks - you've told me just what I wanted to hear.

This cruise has been sprung on me. I didn't know a thing about it 4 days ago. Tonite I see the friends we are going with & I'll have so much wonderful information to share.

Again, your help has been very much appreciated!

Archived