How Safe is San Pedro?

GeezLouise1

Hi Wineax,

are you saying that the area where the Travel Loge is o.k. or not o.k. ??

We would be leaving our car there for a week while we are on our cruise .

cindi

The area around the Traveloge is ok. Just busy and aesthetically unappealing. As far as leaving my car there you should be ok. Does the hotel have that sort of a package? and what do they guarantee as far as security for your vehicle?

Los Angeles is a big city. If you are coming from a small town, you are going to find many areas that are "unsafe." Then again, even in the "safer" areas, you have to be street smart (keep your purse closed and hold it on your shoulder, don't leave items exposed in the car, etc).

San Pedro is an industrial port community and has some areas that are not as safe as others. The question is, as a tourist, will you be able to tell when you've moved from one area to another? Maybe, maybe not.

If you are concerned about safetly, I woudl stick to the CP or DT. I would feel relatively safe exploring the city during the day but would be cautious as evening approaches.

Between your hotel and the water, there should be no problem. however if you were to go uphill or West more than three blocks you MIGHT have issues. But since there would no reason to go to this part of town on foot at night you have no problem. As I remember, the only places open at night in that direction are a couple of drug stores and local bars that I wouldn't go to during the day.

We were at CP last March with our family of nine, arriving the evening before our cruise.

Well after dark, we decided (three guys) that we should find a beverage store to fill our....um...well, okay, RumRunners, We did, in fact, wander up the hill and found a liquor...oops.."beverage" store. On the way back we found a bar (I wish that I could remember it's name) that quite frankly did not appear too "savory"...but being very dehydrated from our two block walk...we threw caution to the wind...In two words we had a "grand time". A great place, very friendly and full of "working class" folks (they are the best kind, don'tcha know!)

In actuality, we had more to fear of the costs of the restaurant in CP (dinner was well over $300 for nine of us!) than the surrounding neighborhood.

I might add, the free van from CP to the Cruise Terminal is a great perk!

• 3 weeks later...

Back in 2007 we stayed at the Holiday Inn on Gaffey (which I guess has closed leaving the Vagabond Inn as the sole cheap hotel). Walked the few feet to the sushi place, had dinner, back to the hotel and off to sleep. Got up the next morning, experienced the poor service that was standard at the restaurant and then went to the ship.

We never felt in danger. Never thought it was a bad area. Figured it would be a decent place to stay of sailing out of SP again. Now we are booked on the Sapphire on 10/1 and would like the convenience of that location again. We will need to go to the CVS to buy stuff for our child before the cruise.

I am not overly concerned about cost but more concerned about being able to walk to a grocery store/pharmacy for supplies. Does the Crowne Plaza have a store within walking distance?

Archived