January Weather for Catalina & Ensenada

mgm3430

We're cruising to Catalina Island off Cali and Ensenada the middle of January. Has anyone cruised at that time before or know of what the wether is like that time of year? I was wondering so I know about packing either shorts, capri's or jeans.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Did this cruise in January. It was chilly!! Now

I am from Detroit, so I know what chilly is, wasnt exactly expecting to have to buy an additional jacket in Catalina island to put on over my other jacket. I wore jeans and sweatshirts pretty much the whole time. Ensenada was little warmer but deffinitely not shorts whether in my opinion. Fun cruise though! Enjoy!

We're cruising to Catalina Island off Cali and Ensenada the middle of January. Has anyone cruised at that time before or know of what the wether is like that time of year? I was wondering so I know about packing either shorts, capri's or jeans.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

We had a beautiful 80 deg sailing Jan 2009--unusually great weather. You can always check weather.com a few days out to see if this rain will have gone away. We are going to PV & Mazat on Carn Spirit Jan 28th and plan on doing our research too a few days ahead. Of course, we're on a cruise so who cares!!! except for the pool/slide activities. Good luck

Did this cruise in January. It was chilly!! Now

I am from Detroit, so I know what chilly is, wasnt exactly expecting to have to buy an additional jacket in Catalina island to put on over my other jacket. Fun cruise though! Enjoy!

So you had to purchase an extra jacket? Do you think it was in the 50's or 60's?

I did purchase an additional jacket. If I had to guess, I would say high 50's. There was deffintely no swimming going on. I wore capri pants on Catalina, jeans at Ensenada. Ensenada was warmer, the sun was out all day, I was comfortable in jeans. But 50's were better then the weather in Detroit.

We are going to PV & Mazat on Carn Spirit Jan 28th and plan on doing our research too a few days ahead. Of course, we're on a cruise so who cares!!! except for the pool/slide activities. Good luck

I've been to PV, Mazatlan, and Cabo in January before and we were swimming and got great tans, it was in the 80's & 90's in mid January. But they are farther down the coast then Ensenada.

I'll keep an idea on the weather channel, but probably shoot for capri's. I can always bring a light jacket. I'm used to Vegas weather being warm. But you're right as long as I'm on a cruise I don't care!!! :) Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for all the posts! I'll check the weather as it gets closer. I'll probably go for capri's and layer a jacket over my shirt.

In Catalina is there a place on their beach area you can just sit and relax on a beach blanket? I know I won't be in a swim suit getting sun, just looking to relax and shop a little.

Another thing....we rented golf carts in Catalina. It was alot of fun. You will have a great time. Enjoy!

How much were the golf carts do you remember? In Catalina is there a place on their beach area you can just sit and relax on a beach blanket? I know I won't be in a swim suit getting sun, just looking to relax and shop a little.

How much were the golf carts do you remember? In Catalina is there a place on their beach area you can just sit and relax on a beach blanket? I know I won't be in a swim suit getting sun, just looking to relax and shop a little.

There are a few beaches that you can go to. The closest one is just to the left of the green pier. Here is a website that shows that talks about the beaches. Click on 'Things to Do', then on the right side under 'Activities', click on 'Beaches'.

Here is another website for catalina.

About the weather, I agree with tootsiescurly, it can be in the mid 60's to the low 80's. Last January, the temp was in the low-mid 70's in both Catalina and Ensenada. Perfect capri weather. I start checking weather dot com about 1 week out to start getting clothes together.

• 2 years later...
Thanks for all the posts! I'll check the weather as it gets closer. I'll probably go for capri's and layer a jacket over my shirt.

In Catalina is there a place on their beach area you can just sit and relax on a beach blanket? I know I won't be in a swim suit getting sun, just looking to relax and shop a little.

Yes, there is but the beach in Avalon harbor is the dirtiest beach in Southern California.

We did that cruise in December. Great weather, we did have shorts on. Catalina had awesome hiking trails into the hills, and Ensenada has some of the best street food I have ever had and friendly folks. We also had a blast wandering the local fish market. Ensenada has become one of our top 3 ports of all time.

Archived