Things to do in Belize with Kids

I am going on Dream on 2-5 and looking for things to do with another couple and kids aged 6, 5, 4, and 3. It seems like it is either cave tubing or ruins. I am usually better set up for this, but we were bumped fromm the Splendor on 2-6. We are probably doing beach things in the other ports, but ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I think ages 3 and 4 are a bit too young for cave tubing. My recommendation would be the Altun Ha ruin combined with a river cruise, or a trip to the Belize Zoo (nice, but kind of expensive), or a trip to Caye Caulker on a water taxi.

Is Caye Caulker a simple beach with basic amenities? I would possibly be good with that. I guess I may have better options for the kids at Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Roatan and just stay on the boat in Belize.

Is Caye Caulker a simple beach with basic amenities? I would possibly be good with that. I guess I may have better options for the kids at Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Roatan and just stay on the boat in Belize.

Caye Caulker's beach is noting spectacular, but it is a funky little place and would give the kids a place to run around and burn off some energy. I never liked the staying on the ship idea. You're in a new and interesting place. Go out and explore. For sure, you will like the Roatan and Costa Maya beaches better if you are looking for nice sand, beach chairs, and waiters bringing you drinks, but you might like the Caye Caulker experience better (or you might not - there is only one way to find out).

We just returned from Belize on Carnival Legend yesterday, my 11-year old son accompanied us. I agree that Caye Caulker is a cool place to explore. Goff's Caye is fun for kids, since they can snorkel off the beach. I would avoid open-water snorkeling tours, since wind/waves/currents on the reefs can be too much for younger kids.

I am going on Dream on 2-5 and looking for things to do with another couple and kids aged 6, 5, 4, and 3. It seems like it is either cave tubing or ruins. I am usually better set up for this, but we were bumped fromm the Splendor on 2-6. We are probably doing beach things in the other ports, but ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If you are adventure lovers, try Victor Bodden in Roatan for the zipline tour. We did it last year and my boys (then 9,8 and 5) LOVED it. My daughter was 2 and didn't want to zip, so we just played with the monkeys and other animals and watched her brothers. This summer she did brave a zipline in Mexico and loved it, so we are going back to Bodden next week. After the zipline they took us to a nice private beach and we had a great lunch. They are very accommodating with kids.

I do not recommend the ruins tour in Belize. We were booked for cave tubing last year but because the river was high that was cancelled. They took us to the ruins and a monkey sanctuary instead. The roads were terrible and bumpy, it was hot at the ruins and just not that interesting to small children after five minutes. Not worth the long ride there and back.

Try to get to Bannister Island. If your cruise offers a Beach Break excursion, that will cost a bit more but is worth it. Bannister Island brings a tender boat to the ship and takes you directly tothe island (otherwise, you need to tender to the main island and then catch another boat to Bannister via a tour company).

The island is so beautiful and serene. Perfect for little ones and adults who just want to hang out and have some rum punch.

We are taking our grandchildren on the NCL Spirit on May 22 and are looking for excursions they will like. They are 7 and 11 and do not make the age or weight requirements on many of the ship's offerings. Are the private tours more flexable? What do you recommend? I assure you, they are scared of nothing [ I'm the chicken in the bunch].

Do you know anything about the swimming with the dolphins, stingrays, etc. The ship's excursions are very expensive, but i would love for them to have the chance to do this. Any help would be appreciated.

We just returned from our December 12th cruise and Belize was our second port. We chose Lumanai with Island Marketing. (they go by something else too but can remember what, something belize) We had a ball. My kids are older, 26 and 23. But the bus ride was fun, the boat ride is fun and of course the ruins are amazing. You walk through the jungle to get to the ruins and you can hear the howler monkeys, totally sounds like Jurassic Park. It was amazing!!! I think ya'lls kids would absolutely love it!!! I know we did. We had Jenny as our driver and Carlos was our tour guide. They were great! The food was wonderful too!!! :D

Are there any "swim with" tours available for 7 and 11 year olds? Or do we do that at another port? I want to do ruins at one port; which would be best?

Not really. There is Shark-Ray Alley, but that really isn't a "swim with" tour. If you want to see a Mayan Ruin, I'd do that in Belize.

Archived