Missed the ship!

rustycar

Our family of four missed our sailing on the Poesia last week. We were scheduled to fly out of Minneapolis a day before the cruise and got cought in a blizzard that shut down the airport. We were rescheduled for the next morning but the plane had mechanical problems, so we missed the ship by about an hour. Does anyone know MSC's policy on this? Are we just out the money? Can we reschedule? I tried calling but the person that handles this is out for a few days. I did not buy insurance, thought we would be ok flying in a day early. Thanks in advance!

It was a nightmare vacation, first we got stuck at the airport for two days, missed our ship, luggage ended up in Orlando instead if Ft. Lauderdale. Decided to make the best of it and spend a sunny warm week in Orlando only to have record breaking cold and rain! To top it off our flight was delayed for the trip home...

Yikes, there is no place like home!!! SO sorry that all that happened. We do not take insurance and also go a day before thinking we have plenty of time.

You could only claim this if you bought the air package with MSC which by the sound of it you did not. They are not obligated to do anything. I would have your TA call them and see what can be done. Maybe a discount on a future cruise or something. Let your TA work for you now and allow them to ask for you. They have more clout than you do.

Good luck, let us know what happened.

It was bad cruise...! Clouds, rain and temps (during day) in high 60F record low breaking temps in December!!! Worst traffic in ports St Marteen, St Thomas, Nassau...with many ships at the same time... We book this cruise after 35 days cruise on Maasdam on last minute bases at very good price but we will think twice before booking another like this... MSC has good shows and drink prices are better than on other cruise lines but the noise during breakfast or lunch... and every announcements in 5 different languages was terrible!

MSC 7 days rate 6 on scale 1-10

Rustycar..... I'm so sorry you missed your cruise..

I can only imagine your disappointment.... especially knowing how much we all look forward to cruises!!!! :(

Interneciak.....they have to do the announcements in different languages, as there are so many different nationalities aboard....

Can you imagine if they didn't do them in English, how you'd be afraid you missed something?? that's how the Germans, italians, etc. would feel.

I find the different languages a lot less annoying than constant bingo and sales announcements on other mass-market cruise lines!

Sorry, I don't understand the comment about the noise at mealtimes.... what noise??:confused:

A good side to the cold was the theme parks were like ghost towns! Children (5 and 8) had a great time, no waiting in lines. Thanks for the info everyone, I dont expect msc to compensate us so anything would be a bonus. We are loyal msc customers (this would have been our third cruise with them in three years) so we will see what happens.

Wow--you have the BEST attitude about all of it!

I think that you should email Rick Sasso--he's the head of the US/Canadian division of MSC, but he's not like a "typical" CEO. He's very hands-on, and more than that he's just a really decent and kind person. If anything can be done, he'll know and be able to help you.

Like you said, you'll be happy with anything at all. It is definitely worth a try:

rsasso@msccruisesusa.com

You never know, you just may get a Christmas miracle :)

A good side to the cold was the theme parks were like ghost towns! Children (5 and 8) had a great time, no waiting in lines. Thanks for the info everyone, I dont expect msc to compensate us so anything would be a bonus. We are loyal msc customers (this would have been our third cruise with them in three years) so we will see what happens.

You've got a good attitude and the cruise lines generally are pretty uniform in policy (bummer). But you've got a good attitude (given the ROYAL bummer you dealt with); I'd suggest a letter to Cam's 'good buddy' MSC USA cruise President Rick Sasso - written properly - citing your past patronage maybe you'll get lucky and be offered some future cruise credit or something.

Good luck - what a week you've had...

So sorry to hear of your experience Rustycar. It won't do any harm to ask MSC but I doubt you'll be successful. When similar things were happening back in April with the volcanic ash sitaution - their policy was very clear - if you had bought a cruise package where they provided the flight , you got the choice of switching to an alternative cruise or a full refund. If you had booked cruise only, it was down to you to claim on your travel insurance.

There are a lot of flights being cancelled over in Europe just now, so they will no doubt be losing out as a result of that, which is likely to make them not inclined to incur a liability where legally they have none.

Good luck anyway.

Archived