Waikiki beach hotel medium priced

T90girl

Three couples are traveling together, and we need a hotel for a one week stay after our cruise. One couple is very thrifty, the other wants to splurge. I need help! Is there a hotel on (or close to) the beach that is nice but not too pricey?

Three couples are traveling together, and we need a hotel for a one week stay after our cruise. One couple is very thrifty, the other wants to splurge. I need help! Is there a hotel on (or close to) the beach that is nice but not too pricey?

The price ranges are all over the place. I suggest, each couple makes their own lodging choice. You don't mix splurge and budget and get a single location in Honolulu. :)

http://www.astonhotels.com/aston/propertyOverview.do?propertyGroupId=45470

This is the least expensive hotel I would stay at. I stayed here twice when taking two grand daughters to HI. The upper floors with overview are nice. It is nice to have a one bedroom for a week.

You should state what you think is a budget rate and what is a splurge rate. To me splurge would be about $500 a day and budget is about$150 a day. To others budget would be $50 a day.

I cannot help with a specific hotel because for one I will never stay in downtown again. However, I do recommend that you read the description of the rooms very carefully. The last time (and I do mean the last time) we spent a night in downtown, we had a "garden view" room in a Sheraton. The garden view, if you look straight out the window, was a view of a solid concrete wall of the next hotel across an alley. If you looked down into the "garden" you had a great view of the garbage dumpsters.

It was also the smallest hotel room I think I have ever stayed in. The bathroom was so small that you had to sit on the toilette sideways because the door was so close that it would not shut unless you did.

As I mentioned, this was a Sheraton Hotel.

Have you thought about bidding for a room on Priceline? I've had fantastic luck bidding. We recently stayed in a 4 star hotel in Manhatten for $138 a night and the best room rate I could fine was $299.

Here's an example of winning bids in the Waikiki area...

Resort Hyatt Regency Waikiki $125, 129, 131, 135

Sheraton Waikiki $110, 120, 130

Outrigger Reef on the Beach $128

Marrioth Waikiki Beach $85, 115

3 Star Ohana East $64,75,83

3 star Aqua Waikiki Wave $75

This is a great site where people post their winning bids. Its always a great tool for knowing what to start bidding. BTW, you can bid on airfares, rental cars too...

http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/for...hu.html?page=1

Hope this helps...

Jack

A good compromise might be something like what we're doing when we go in July. My husband and I and another couple are staying at the Aston Waikiki Beach next door to the Marriott. My sister (and friend) as well as my mother and her husband are staying at the Marriott. They get their upscale hotel and we get our "cheapo" hotel yet we're right next door to each other. We don't plan to spend every minute together, so I think it'll work out fine. Good luck!

Have you considered staying at Turtle Bay? It is on the North Shore and away from the crowds. I would try to get out of Waikiki when staying for several days. yet, you are close enough to go back into Waikiki for sightseeing, etc when you wish. Rooms range in price. We booked our rooms through Blue Hawaii Resorts. Blue Hawaii had the best prices available that I could find. A $100 deposit holds the room. You could get a room for about the same price as a mid-price hotel in Waikiki (I think our room is $208 before taxes & fees). For those who want to splurge there are some very nice villas, etc that are supposed to be wonderful, yet you would all be staying in the same area.

What is reasonably priced to your group?

For me, The Outrigger Waikiki On The Beach is "reasonably priced" for what we get. You are on the beach, can walk to all the popular shopping and eating spots, Duke's restaurant, great sandwich shop for lunch, beach front pool, etc. The Outrigger Reef is also on the beach and about the same price but I personally prefer the location of the Outrigger Waikiki OTB and therefore have not stayed at the Reef but we always eat at The Shore Bird once per trip.

We also have stayed at the Pacific Beach Hotel which is directly across the street from the beach, with no hotels directly on the beach in that area. We had an OF room and there was a great view. It was nice as well and cheaper than the Outrigger OTB (which was sold out that trip). They have an amazing restaurant there with a huge fish tank, like huge wall sized. It was a buffet and the food was good and the fish tank fantastic.

Even cheaper and still in a good location close to the action and beach is the Princess Kaiulani. We stayed there a few days and while I like the other two I mentioned more, it was fine for what we paid. My one complaint is that food was outrageously expensive at the hotel. We quickly learned to leave for breakfast and walk across to Duke's or one of the other Sheraton's for a better setting for the same or less money. We were easily able to walk to the beach and ocean front restaurants from that location.

Ages ago stayed at the Ilima. I found that location to be further away from the beach than I would like to be.

As others mentioned, Waikiki is very dense and it would be easy to for some to stay on the beach and splurge and others to be in a hotel very close just off the beach. I do prefer being at the same hotel when traveling in groups though. We were spread out in multiple different hotels in Seattle before our Alaska cruise. None of us know the city that well so it made it hard to meet up and we did waste time trying to locate each other and figure out where to meet etc. But, we were in the same situation as you, some wanted to splurge and others did not!

Jen in SoCal

• 4 weeks later...

i just booked the Aqua Palms on hotwire, three star one block to the beach (3 star marina area) 84.00/night

i just booked the Aqua Palms on hotwire, three star one block to the beach (3 star marina area) 84.00/night

got sheraton waikiki (september 21,2011 after cruise)from priceline $110. is it good deal or what?:D

Great prices, both of you!

Lurvecruise - what star level did you bid?

We are staying our first three nights before our cruise on POA at The Outrigger Waikiki On The Beach. Feb. 23-26. Then after we get done with the cruise we are spending two nights at the Turtle Beach resort on the North Shore. It is just me and my spouse, so I think we splurged for nice rooms with a view.

The Outrigger is really central to everything in Waikiki from what I can see on the Google maps.

My husband and I will be heading over to Honolulu for a weekend getaway this coming weekend. We will be staying at the Outrigger Waikiki for the first time. We are huge fans of the Outrigger Reef so it will be fun to be able to compare the two beachfront properties.

I will report back next week after we return, or if I can put my Mai Tai down long enough, I will do a report from the field!!

We stayed at Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach during Thanksgiving. It was a wonderful location and the price was really good compared to other beachfront hotels. You can read my review and see photos here:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/477/

Generally, I'm a fan of Priceline but being on the beach (not a block away or across the street) was very important to me and since you are not guaranteed a beachfront property, we decided to skip Priceline and go for a sure thing.

I booked my room thru bluehawaii and got a pretty good deal. It was cheaper than all the discount sites. But you pay in advance like you would with Priceline but the benefit is you get to pick your room type (city view, ocean view etc).

I got our pre-cruise room for 3 nights at Turtle Bay Resort through Blue Hawaii, also. Unfortunately they did not show any availability for our one-night post cruise at Aqua Palms, so I booked there directly. You can just put down a $100 ($50 pp) deposit with Blue Hawaii, which is what I did. Full payment is due 45 days in advance and they have a $50/room cancellation fee. With their prices I think that is very fair. And a bonus - we get a lei greeting at the airport included!:D

How did you manage a complimentary lei greeting Ginny? It isn't included for me. :(

Maybe it's just included with the resorts? It's a nice touch, but I did not know it wasn't included with all their hotel packages. We decided to go with the resort after two different friends raved about it. No extra cruise for us this year!

Archived