Question about exercise equipment on any of the cruise lines...???

krispjorn

I have a few questions regarding the equipment found on the cruise ships.

I have only cruised once, on the Triumph. I thought the gym was OK. Nothing spectacular. Now what I am wondering is, compared to the Triumph's gym, has anyone had any experience on a different ship that has a larger selection of equipment/floor surface. Buddy of mine and our wives will be going on a cruise next May, and we are both looking specifically for a cruise ship with a squat rack in particular. Also, a ship with a dumbbell set that goes fairly heavy (like up to 100lbs). We could do without the squat rack if the dumbbells went fairly heavy, however the squat rack would be preferable (you can do practically any exercise imaginable in a rack). I'm crossing my fingers that someone will know of a ship that does, or at least a nice adequate set of dumbbells (I think Triumph's went up to 80lbs, but by 20 lb increments; i.e. 40 to 60 to 80). Triumph did have some barbells but they were kinda sitting in the corner and there were plates. I don't get why there wasn't a squat rack. Might as well have been there, but I understand, it is after all, one of the least used pieces of equipment in a gym... or at least the few I have ever worked out in and the one I work at that I am PT'ing in right now.

Any help would be very much so appreciated, and i apologize if anyone has ever asked this question before, though I highly doubt it.

thanks

Experiences with whatever equipment available, even if my two requirements weren't necessarily there, if it was still better than the Triumph, lemme know about your stories witht he equipment, ship name and company would help obviously...highly appreciated

Kris

Kris, I can't specifically tell you what you want to know. I have found that the older the ship, the dinkier the gym. The RCCL Voyager, Navigator and Mariner have great gyms. I was on the Enchantment in the semi-dinky gym and 2 guys beside me were lifting some huge weights, when one guy dropped 2 50 pounders. Sounded like we hit a coral reef, LOL...the entire spa crew came running up there! Since we work out daily, the gym is very important to me. The 2 Carnival ships I sailed (Sensation and Jubilee) had AWFUL facilities.I suggest you write to the cruise line with your specific questions, or try another board here- such as RCCL, Celebrity, etc and post it to people who are on the ships.

the Caribbean Princess's gym is fabulous, there are flat screen monitors on all 20 of the treadmills. A seperate area for weights, there are bikes, elypticals, free weights. I think the previous poster is correct. The newer the ship the better the gym!! The CP is very new so its gym is very nice.

I have a few questions regarding the equipment found on the cruise ships.

I have only cruised once, on the Triumph. I thought the gym was OK. Nothing spectacular.

Kris

Kris,

I'm an obsessed gym rat myself. I am sailing with my boyfreind and our best friends in December. My freind and I can be found at our gym 6 days a week. We'll be on the Triumph and I was wondering about:

Smyth machine for squats, incline leg press, bench press, lat pulldowns... will we be able to do all those?

Jeni

hey jeni,

I don't think that there were any incl. leg press or smith machine in that gym. There was a floor area where there were some dumbbells with some different benches. I know there was some barbells lying on the ground that you could load plates on but as for a bench press with a rack, I don't recall though my memory on that one is a bit shady, but it's not all that bad as you can always use the dumbells instead of barbells for presses. for the rest, it was a slew of machines, which I am sure had a pulldown machine amongst them. other than that, there are cardio machines lined along the front end of the gym facing the massive window...which is the nicest thing about the gym on the Triumph...it looks out over the ocean as there is a window that spans the entire front of the gym.

thanks for the other replies as well...

if there are any others please do respond..

kris

• 2 weeks later...

I have been on many ships and work our alot. Squat racks are not on any that I have seen. I think when I went on the Sovereign they had a smith machine. That was many years ago. It is more of a safety issue on the ships to have the weight you are looking for. Most using the gym are not there for the heavy weights. Usually when I go to the gym, I plan on more of an aerobic workout for the week I am on the ship, especially with all the food. Lots of sets and reps to burn off the good stuff. 30 minutes of treadmill or elyptical and then 30-45 minutes of weights alternating body parts each day.

Archived