St. Martin Vacation

L_T

My wife and I just got back from 16 fantastic days in St. Martin. We stayed at a hotel at about mid-point on Orient Beach and spent lots of time at the La Playa Beach Bar area (white umbrellas), as the chairs were included with our room. It was a little windy this year, with some rain and heavy waves, but we didn't miss a day on the beach. Lots of cruisers visiting Orient Beach some days - we would rather the beach be busy than slow. It is so much fun to see all the activity, with kite-boarding, sail-boards, para-sailing and people having fun in the sun. We walk the entire length of the beach once or twice per day - and suggest cruise visitors do the same so they can see what all is going on. We ate at Bikini Beach Bar and La Playa Beach Bar and had good lunches - but most days we just walked another 100' to our room to eat.

We visited Pinel Island one windy day, as the beach there is protected from the prevailing winds. It was wonderful (and hot!) and we had a great lunch before doing some exploring of the windward side of the isle. We will go back to Pinel next visit.

We spent parts of four days at the Maho Beach where the airplanes land right over the beach, and have some great photos. The Sunset Beach Bar was very busy each time, and we had a nice lunch there twice. I did notice a few ladies were taking advantage of the "topless women drink for free" offer - my wife said she'd buy her own diet Coke......

We stopped in at Mr. Busby's at Dawn Beach and had 75 cent Carib beer, what a deal. Did some shopping at the markets at Marigot and Phillipsburg, and of course had to visit Rima's for low cost beach items.

We had some great meals on the island, including at Chesterfield's at the marina not far from the cruise dock, and also at the Marigot marina area.

We had great intentions to try some excursions, but I guess we got sidetracked by all the sunny beaches. We did try to hook up with Lord Sheffield, but no one was there the three times we stopped - the windy weather may have had something to do with it.

We had a fantastic vacation (did I already mention that?) and plan to return next February for three weeks. We love Sint Maarten and Saint Martin and recommend the island to all our friends.

If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them. After only two trips, we certainly are not experts, but this forum is fortunate to have some very knowledgeable folks who really know their way around St. Martin and enjoy sharing their insights.

Now we have to begin getting ready for our next adventure - a cruise on the Conquest in 37 days!

Did you do any snorkeling? Is there anyplace off the beach that is decent snorkeling? We stop at St. Martin on cruise in April and have own equipment and are wondering whether to take it off the ship or not when we go to Orient beach.

There is sometimes (depending on the weather and currents) pretty good snorkeling over the several parallel reefs that head out at about a 45 degree angle out and to the right (looking at the water) from the line separating Pedro's and Club Orient.

You can see them on the Orient Panorama provided by Ed and Sandra.

rwilk1129 -

We didn't snorkel but noticed several doing so when we went to Pinel Island. They were swimming from the west shore (protected from wind) just a little to the south of where the ferry boat docks on the isle, near an old dock. Plus saw a couple more off the south end of the island. Pinel Island is accessed from an area called Cul de Sac, just past Baie Orientale (Orient Bay/Beach), via a small ferry service that cost $6 per person round trip. We really enjoyed visiting Pinel and will do so again next trip.

LT:

Which hotel did you stay at ? We are planning a potential trip to St Martin early in April and are trying to decide where to stay. Can you describe your room ? There may be 3 of us - so we are hoping for some place that can comfortably accomodate 3.

Zeno - We stayed at the L'Hoste this year and really enjoyed it. It's probably would be a 2 or 3 diamond rated hotel, and is very neat & clean, with a good staff. The location is wonderful, in the area called Orient Village, and is right behind the La Playa beach bar/restaurant. Chairs are furnished, under the white umbrellas, also beach towels. A continental breakfast was included, fresh fruit, juice, rolls, cereal, coffee, tea. There is a pool shared with the St. Tropez (where we stayed last year) and the Palm Court. We will be back next year and will probably stay at one of the three. L'Hoste rooms are standard motel sized, and ours had two king beds plus a kitchenette - two burner stove, microwave, undercounter fridge, sink. Good bathroom with separate toilet room and a large shower. We were on the ground floor with a quiet private patio area with a fenced rear yard area. Only a very short walk to the sand, so we loved the location. I think they limit the rooms to three adults. I would suggest talking to Carl the manager direct to see if they have any April deals. The area is quiet at night, but has four or five restaurants open at night in the immediate area, and a convience store.

We didn't snorkel but noticed several doing so when we went to Pinel Island. They were swimming from the west shore (protected from wind) just a little to the south of where the ferry boat docks on the isle, near an old dock. Plus saw a couple more off the south end of the island. Pinel Island is accessed from an area called Cul de Sac, just past Baie Orientale (Orient Bay/Beach), via a small ferry service that cost $6 per person round trip. We really enjoyed visiting Pinel and will do so again next trip.

We fell in love with this island on our first cruise & love Sint Maarten/St Martin so much so we also did a land vacation there. After many stops here we have never been to Pinel Island and plan to do it this April when we are sailing on Jewel of the Seas. Glad to read your thoughts about it. usually do Orient Beach but wanted a different beach this time.

Do you have any idea what time the earliest boat goes over to Pinel...want to get an early start off the ship to maximize my day in Paradise. I read somewhere that they do not start until 10 am.

Thanks again

Emmy

L T: Thx so much for the info. The last time we were in St Martin we stayed at Grand Case but this time we want to stay on Orient beach. L'Hoste sounds perfect. We have not been to Pinel and will definitely go there this time. Do you have any idea wht the taxi fare would be from L'hoste to Cul de Sac ? (We usually just rent a car for a day or two - so we will probably taxi to the Islet Pinel ferry.)

emmy - I think the boats start at 9:00 - because a local told us the best time at Pinel was from 9 until 11, 'cause the crowds started going out there at 11:00. Guess what time we went out? 11:00! I think the boats return generally every hour, with the last one either 4:30 or 5:00. $6 US round trip, in a open wooden boat that held about 50. We ate at the restaurant that is to the left as you approach the island. Put a little sugar out on the table and the "sugar birds" will visit you.

Zeno - Don't know about the taxi fare - probably about the same as Orient to Grand Case. Or stick your thumb out and someone will give you a ride. We gave a couple a ride back to Marigot one day - they were standing there looking lost and stuck their thumb out. We were headed to the airport - was going to go through Philipsburg, but just went the other way around instead. It is the "friendly island", and can rub off on you a little!

Archived