Too many ships?

mapsmith

Found out that our cruise will be calling in St. Maarten at the same time as 5 other ships, including the Oasis. What to do in St. Maarten with an expected port load of 17600 (according to Cruise Time Tables)? Orient, Marigot, Maho, and Phillipsburg will probably look like Grand Central Station during rush hour.

I would avoid the Simpson Bay, Maho and Mullet Bay areas because of traffic concerns and the bridge openings. I would suggest planning an excursion on the water that left from Great Bay Marina or Bobby's Marina because you can walk to either of these marinas. Another option would be to head to Grand Case and have lunch at the Lolo's or Le Soleil, stop in for a drink at Le Shore and go to Petite Plage for a swim and maybe a snorkeling trip to Creole Rock which should be arranged ahead of time through Creole Rock Watersports.

I would avoid the Simpson Bay, Maho and Mullet Bay areas because of traffic concerns and the bridge openings. I would suggest planning an excursion on the water that left from Great Bay Marina or Bobby's Marina because you can walk to either of these marinas. Another option would be to head to Grand Case and have lunch at the Lolo's or Le Soleil, stop in for a drink at Le Shore and go to Petite Plage for a swim and maybe a snorkeling trip to Creole Rock which should be arranged ahead of time through Creole Rock Watersports.

I like this idea of going to Grand Case and snorkeling to Creole Rock. I looked at their website, but I'm wondering how to get to Grand Case? Also, is it doable to take a tour in the morning with a tour company and go to Grand Case in the afternoon for snorkeling and still make it back to the cruise ship on time?

I like this idea of going to Grand Case and snorkeling to Creole Rock. I looked at their website, but I'm wondering how to get to Grand Case? Also, is it doable to take a tour in the morning with a tour company and go to Grand Case in the afternoon for snorkeling and still make it back to the cruise ship on time?

Personally since we are familiar with the island I would rent a car, but it would be very easy to go by taxi as well. You should be able to arrange for a private tour ahead of time or a taxi tour at the port, that would drop you off in Grand Case and then you could ask Sebastian to call you a taxi from Creole Watersports. Since the operation is at Grand Case beach resort I would not anticipate any problems getting a taxi. The airport in Grand Case is only a few minutes away and that looked like a place where the taxi's wait for fares. The snorkel trips book up quickly since it is at a resort and they only take 5 people at a time so plan the trip before you leave on your cruise. On the 10 and 12 trips they try and go around to the other side of Creole Rock as well and that is where you have a better chance of spotting eagle rays and sea turtles, so if you can, book one of those times.

Thanks Karysa. It sounds like you have spent quite a bit of time there and really know what you're talking about. I have sent emails to tow snorkeling companies but haven't heard back from either, yet. I hope I'm not too late--we will be there on 1/18/11.

Thanks Karysa. It sounds like you have spent quite a bit of time there and really know what you're talking about. I have sent emails to tow snorkeling companies but haven't heard back from either, yet. I hope I'm not too late--we will be there on 1/18/11.

I went with Creole watersports to Creole Rock. Creole Rock is the only place that I have experienced great snorkeling at on the island. If you go with someone else make sure you ask where they are taking you to.

Archived