Confused about embarkation and disembarkation

want to cruise

We are leaving in two weeks on our firt cruise. We will be on the Carnival Paradise out of Long Beach. I'm pretty confused about the whole boarding and deboarding process. We arrive at LAX very early, about 8am. I figure we can arrive at the pier by 10am. Will we then have to stand around and wait for them to open up and begin boarding at 1pm, which is the time it says boarding begins?

As for getting off, I see a time of 8am but I have been reading about different colored bands. Can we wake up, grab something to eat and get off after our color is called (if we are in the middle of breakfast when it is called or something)? Or is it kind of like they are shufflnig everyone off as quickly as posisble?

Thanks again!

Hopefully, they will be able to check in your bags and will have a place for you to sit. Sometimes, they will have juice, coffee, perhaps cookies or something to snack on. Embarkation can actually start by 11:30, depending on how the ship debarks the prior weeks passengers. You may not be able to get to your cabin before 1pm, so only carry on what you are comfortable schlepping around for several hours. As soon as you board (very exciting!) you can check out the ship and have lunch at the buffet. Check the weather a couple of days before you leave, sometimes we get warm enough weather that you could pack your bathing suit in your carry on.

Unless you have flight delays, I would think you would be getting to the port before 10 am. Traffic is not that bad on Sunday mornings, the port is only 20 miles south of LAX. Perhaps you could make an alternate plan, such as an excursion, or even rent a car for a few hours. Just make sure you have a good map.

Debarkation, it sounds like you have pretty much got it. They typically disembark first people with early flights that have to get to the airport and suite passengers. Then, they start calling colors, usually in the order of deck, highest to lowest. If you have an early flight home, let the reception desk know a couple of days before the end of the cruise, they will give you special colored tags. If you are still eating when your color is called, you don't have to jump up and go, just relax and finish eating, your bags will wait for you.

Have a wonderful first cruise!

Thanks, Kathy, for the info.

I have considered renting a car and just parking it at the port for the three days we are gone. It would still be about the same price for 5 of us as taking a shuttle or taxi.

We will be arriving on Friday and departing on Monday. Should I still assume we will make it to the port before 10am? Not sure what to expect for weekday traffic. Here in the East Bay Mondays are awful but Fridays are pretty easy.

We only have 13 days to go but that also means 13 long days to wait and think up more questions, lol.

Thanks again!

We arrive at LAX very early, about 8am. I figure we can arrive at the pier by 10am. Will we then have to stand around and wait for them to open up and begin boarding at 1pm, which is the time it says boarding begins?

Want to Cruise ......

They say 1pm.....but the process actually starts a few hours earlier. You will be able to board the ship...but your cabin may not be ready for you.

(Remember, they have just unloaded about 2 thousand passengers by 9:30ish...)

We like to go to the cabin...and see. If it is ready....we settle in a little and then start exploring. If it is not ready....we start exploring....and have lunch @ the Buffet....and head back to the cabin later.

Don't worry about your time schedule. You may have to wait around a little @ the pier...but it is so exciting....that you don't mind at all. :p

Thanks Boo's Mom. I was a bit worried about such an early flight but figured better earlier than later. I'll try to walk slowly through the airport, lol, and maybe try not to get to the port earlier than 10am.

I don't mind at all if our cabin isn't ready, we'll just grab something to eat as you suggested and check out the ship. It is our first cruise ever so I'm sure there is a lot to see.

Thanks!

You know, re-reading your post, I have a bit of an idea. Since you will be leaving out of Long Beach, you will be next to the Queen Mary. Why not use the time to go on the Ghost and Legends Tour, or even tour Queen Mary? It would be a marvelous way to eat up a few hours entertained rather than sit in a holding area for boarding a ship. The tour is campy and fun, we have been on it before and would go again. There is also a shopping area right there, I think it is called Ports of Call Village (anyone correct me if I'm wrong). For some reason I thought you were going on a 7 day cruise, I wasn't paying close attention. I've had a bad cold the last few days and I guess the cold medicine was making me a bit groggy. Here is a link to the Queen Mary:

http://www.queenmary.com

Go to the site and look around to see if you would be interested in this. When you are on the Queen Mary, you can go to the stern and almost look into the cabins on Paradise. I might also add, your driving time may be increased because you are arriving on Friday and departing on Monday. I think you will still have plenty of time.

Have fun!

The Ports O' Call village is at the San Pedro port and not Long Beach. As you are coming in on a Friday instead of Sunday, your drive to the port will be longer due to traffic so you will probably not be there at 10. I would probably drop the luggage off with the porters however and go take a quick walk around the Queen Mary if nothing else.smile.gif

Archived