First Alaska Cruise! Our ship is the Golden!

jakejtown

My family and I are going on this cruise to Alaska. Our ship is the Golden. This is not our first cruise but it is our first to ALASKA! We are so excited about it! It is my husband, two boys (18 & 14) and their grandmother. We cannot wait to go on this cruise. This is the grandmothers first cruise too! Anyone have any tips for us? Any suggestions on what to do in different ports or any excursions that are a must? Any info is appreciated. This is also the first time on Princess. We have always cruised Royal Caribbean. Any and all information will help alot. See you guys in May!

Are you doing just a cruise or a cruisetour? (And if time/budget permits and you have not looked at cruisetours? Do!)

My only suggestion is in Skagway.. They have a very famous train called the white pass railroad. Very nice trip, a little slow, about $130 per person. You can also book a van trip called To The Summit. It was $40 per person, followed a lot of the train route and with 20 people on board we were able to make a couple of random stops, like when the nice young ladies from Indonesia wanted to dip their hands in glacier fed water and the driver found some. COLD! This option allows time/budget for an extra tour in Skagway if so desired...

Our photos from our trip can be found at http://loonbeam.smugmug.com/Travel/Alaska-2009/13372271_S5ZH3#972434108_jJsJd to give you some ideas of what we did. That was Sep 2009 on the Coral.

My family and I are going on this cruise to Alaska. Our ship is the Golden. This is not our first cruise but it is our first to ALASKA! We are so excited about it! It is my husband, two boys (18 & 14) and their grandmother. We cannot wait to go on this cruise. This is the grandmothers first cruise too! Anyone have any tips for us? Any suggestions on what to do in different ports or any excursions that are a must? Any info is appreciated. This is also the first time on Princess. We have always cruised Royal Caribbean. Any and all information will help alot. See you guys in May!

Be sure to go to the Alaska boards - they are probably one of the most active on CC and a terrific source of info. In Alaska don't be hesitant to book independent excursions. Skagway was our favorite port and we booked Chilkoot Tours for the van ride up to Carcross for lunch and snuggling the puppies (liked it better than Princess since it's a much smaller vehicle and can pull over at many more locations than a bus), and they drove us to Frazier to catch the White Mtn Pass train back to town for the completion of a wonderful day. Great whale-watching opportunities in Juneau (we took Orca Enterprises with Captain Larry) and in Ketchikan we wandered up Creek Street with a stop at a former Library with local art and posters that were witty and fun.

Congratulations and have a wonderful trip!

Take at least on pair of good binoculars. You will want them as you try to see what is on shore as you go up the fjords. Had a gentleman on our cruise that sat in the HC dining area and found the Mountain goats on the sides of the hills. Kids loved it and they got to see them in real life. My wife got to see the south end of a north bound grizzly as it turned a corner out of sight. They really bring the shore into better focus.

The train ride in Skagway was great and it left right from the pier. Was it expenzive, Yes. was it worth it to ride the old alaskan gold mine trail depicted in Call of the Wild, Yes.

Your family will greatly enjoy the ride. If you go to Juneau take the tram to the top of Mt Roberts. they have a very large bald eagle up there that is crippled and you can get really up close and personnal with it. Have fun.

Make sure you savor the scenic cruising days... Be out on deck or your balcony and just drink it all in... It'll do your soul good :)

He's right, my soul is still benefiting from the scenery. It makes you realize what's important in life and what isn't.

Hi,

I agree with others who have recommended the White Pass and Yukon railroad trip, in Skagway. This is a fun and scenic trip, and it will be perfect for the grandmother in your group (all will like it, but it is well suited for somewhat older cruisers).

There are plenty of active type tours that your boys will enjoy, so have them look over the list of shore excursions, which you can find on the Princess website.

I agree with RickEk, about being on deck or on a balcony during scenic cruising days. Especially nice is the cruising into and out of Juneau, and into and out of Skagway. Check it out! Beautiful!

Depending on your preferences and your budget, other good shore excursions include Misty Fjords (Ketchikan), whale watching in Juneau, the Mt. Roberts tram in Juneau, and the scenic float trip from Haines, which is available from Skagway.

Enjoy your cruise! PS - Please be aware that the shore excursions are expensive. If the prices are prohibitive, please know that you can have a great time on Alaska cruises, even if you take no shore excursions. I've been on 8 Alaska cruises, and for the first three, I couldn't afford the shore excursions. You can have a great time, anyway! Be sure to attend the onboard nature talks, which are of course included in your cruise. The Alaska onboard naturalists are wonderful. I'm excited for you!

If you are not interested in the railway in Skagway but want to see the sights I would recommend renting a car and driving into the Yukon (need your passport) and you can go to right where the train ends up, and you can check out Emerald Lake (stunning). We saw tons of mountain goats, a bear, eagles and lots of beautiful vistas to stop at. We visited the local cemetary and an even older one just outside of town. We stopped in a town and had a nice meal. We did this with two other couples so the cost was minimal.

Since this thread is about an Alaska cruise on the Golden Princess, I thought that everyone reading this might like this picture: the Golden Princess, in Tracy Arm, as photographed from my balcony, E731, Sapphire Princess. I realize that the Golden will be going to Glacier Bay, rather than Tracy Arm, in 2011, but still, it gives the idea. I think it will help to get the juices flowing! I have posted this picture before, on Cruise Critc, but I just couldn't resist posting it again. Hope you like! Please see below...

golden_princess_in_tracy_arm_4_.jpg

We were on the Golden in July. My advice would be to get a port side balcony. After enjoying a wonderful morning in Glacier Bay on your balcony, when the ship turns around, go to Deck 7. The veiws were spectacular and it wasn't crowded at all!

As far as excursions go, our favorite by far was the Bering Sea Fisherman's tour in Ketchikan. My avatar is a photo taken on that tour and is just one of many great shots I got with my cheap digital camera.

We have done Alaska twice in the past three years and this year took my elderly parents on their first trip to the States and their first cruise and they were blown away by the experience.

You and your family will absolutely love it - the scenary is incredible and the air so fresh. If there is an onboard naturalist then listen to them - they give so much information it is great.

I personally love Mendenhall Glacier in Janeau and also the White Summit railway in Skagway would be must do's in my book. If funds permit we have also done whale watching and bear watching trips and these were one of life's great experiences.

If the weather is sunny there is no nicer place to be. If the weather is wet then it is still awesome.

I am sure you will love it.

If you want something different but interesting for your kids try the Sled Dog Camp in Skagway. You get to go to the training camp used to train dogs for the Itidarod race. It is lots of fun , interactive and the bus ride goes along the coast. Plus the sled ride is really fun, sit in the front. It is really close to try and do the Train ride and the sled dog camp but we did it. Just had to almost miss lunch for it. The seats on the train ride are the old time wodden ones so if you have back problems take a cushion to sit on. Again have fun as this is a great cruise.

You can do the Sled Dog Camp and the Van version of the train ride I mentioned above quite easily.. We did it on a shortened port day in Skagway and still had time to check out the town...

If you want something different but interesting for your kids try the Sled Dog Camp in Skagway. You get to go to the training camp used to train dogs for the Itidarod race. It is lots of fun , interactive and the bus ride goes along the coast. Plus the sled ride is really fun, sit in the front. It is really close to try and do the Train ride and the sled dog camp but we did it. Just had to almost miss lunch for it. The seats on the train ride are the old time wodden ones so if you have back problems take a cushion to sit on. Again have fun as this is a great cruise.

The Alaska cruise is amazing...it was quite cold when we went(end of June), so I would recommend taking gloves, ear covers, and a warm, wind resistant jacket/coat. We also had handwarmers which kept us toasty...we placed them in our pockets and our gloves ..it will make all the difference in your trip if it is as cold as it was for us. We were able to be out on the deck and could enjoy the day when we visited the glaciers. You want a misty day b/c the beauty of the glaciers are more evident when it is. We even experienced the 'calving' of the glacier.

You are in for a special treat...have a wonderful time!

We went on the Golden August of 09. Ever since then, we've told anyone who would listen that every person on the planet needs to see Alaska at least once.

We rented a car from Sourdough Rentals in Skagway and drove up into the Yukon Territory. What breathtaking views......plus.....you could go at your own pace, stop when you wanted to and even take a few roads off the beaten path. And best of all, it cost about $100.

But the icing on the cake was booking a glacier flight tour/salmon cookout with Wings Airways in Juneau. They took you on a 20 minute flight over the glaciers and ended up at an old lodge where we had fresh salmon cooked outside over an open flame of alderwood. After hearing the history of the lodge and surrounding area we did some hiking then the 20 minute flight back to Juneau. It wasn't cheap, but well worth it. Have dozens of pictures but they can't do it justice.

No matter what you do on this cruise, you will not be disappointed.

jakejtown: thanks for liking my earlier picture! So glad!

Below is another one, this time of the bow of the Golden Princess, again in Tracy Arm, as photographed from E731, Sapphire Princess.

Boboraji: your glacier flight tour and salmon cookout sounded great! Loved the mention of the alderwood. It would be fun if you posted some of those pix, even if you think they don't do it justice. They would look great to me!

Please see below...

golden_tracy_arm_2.jpg

We sailed on Golden the third week of August, 2009. Weather was a bit damp, but the cruise was fabulous. Views from our balcony were incredible. Did not book any tours through Princess. We did a whale watch with Orca Tours/Captain Larry in Juneau. You can take public buses to the Mendenhall Glacier. Eagles in the pines lined the street we walked from the pier in Juneau like paid extras in a movie.

While we were driven on our shuttle to the boat for the whale watch, our rather colorful driver described the sites and told us a great story. A Safeway supermarket had opened some time before in Juneau. It had sensor-opening doors as do the markets in our hometowns. The difference in Juneau is that the bears figured out that their approach would open the doors and took to entering during shopping hours to graze in the produce section. Safeway had to install lower tech doors.

Yes, the train in Skagway can be magnificent if not hampered by fog, but you can book your seat that day and virtually look down the street into the mountain pass to get an idea of the weather. Price was $115 pp at that time. We rented a car from Avis and drove into the mountains. $104 with tax for us both. I don't remember the exact model, but it was a fairly full-sized Chevy. Same price as Sourdough rentals and I was told the Avis cars are more reliable. You can book online through Avis.

Our cruise was scheduled for Tracy Arm Fjord, but we were unable to enter. The Coast Guard was repairing marker buoys at the entrance. Our captain took us into another fjord he had sailed before. It was fabulous. Snow capped peaks with melting run-off waterfalls and emerald icebergs were as impressive as the glacier! Do bring binoculars.

In each town anyplace where there is water you will see more salmon than you can imagine.

We got into Victoria late due to rough seas and chose to spend our last night on ship.

In good weather, the sailaway party from Seattle on the upper decks is its own treat. Rainier floating in the clouds in the distance; the skyline of Seattle right there; and sailing past the Olympics while the song "North to Alaska" played through the sound system. It was our best sailaway ever.

We enjoyed the layout of the ships; many places to enjoy. Food in the dining room was superior to our two previous cruises on Royal Caribbean.

We used Shuttle Express to get to and from the airport. It was a bit of a walk from the terminal to their center in the airport parking garage, but they were very efficient and reliable.

Have a great time.

Have you signed up for roll call (this website) with your ship and your time? It's a must do. Find out a little about your travelmates before you go.

Yes, we did sign up on the roll call for the Golden. Thanks for the help!

Archived