SNOW, SPIRIT AIR and AC INT'L AIRPORT ? ?

bethg0516

Friends...we bit the bullet and are driving to FL...currently passing thru baltimore in a Cherokee jeep loaded with excessive amounts of luggage and 2 older kids asleep in the back. We will likely cancel the spirit tix which can be done up to midnight today I think. It will be a $440 hit but at least we will have a credit for 4 tix to use in the future. So far the roads are "smooth sailing". Like I said- we are NOT missing this cruise!! Hoping MerionMom and fam get out of Phila ok tonight!!!

Have a safe trip. I think you made a good choice to leave so you make the ship. I just saw on the Houston local news that all flights from Houston to AC are cancelled and flights from Houston to Philly are running, but are delayed 2 hours. AC and all of the New York airports are closed. There won't be any flights out of AC until the airlines fly some planes in so it may be a while. When we lived in the Philadelphia area we always drove straight through to Florida. It gets really monotonous for the kids. Just be grateful they are asleep in the back for now so you have some peace and quiet. We each drove 3 hours before switching drivers. 3 hrs driving then 3 hrs sleeping - if the kids cooperate that is.

Debj14 , Maria , Stobe1 and Cruisinmanic ...15 miles north of Richmond and not a lick of snow since before Baltimore!! Thanks for the AC updates. So glad we are driving. Hope everyone else is ok flight wise.

Beth,

So glad you are driving...I bet you will be glad you did! Enjoy your cruise!

I will be interested to see if your flight actually takes off or not...

Atlantic City's Airport is back open now. Flights are arriving and taking off although most have delays due to the earlier closure.

The Spirit Airlines flight landed in FLL this morning at 9:42am. HOWEVER....we would've done the same thing YOU did and drive it! You could have not known what was going to happen with that flight today and at least you took matters in your own hands to insure you would board that ship! I hope you have a fantastic cruise! You sure will have alot of fun memories to start it off! ;)

Hello cruisecritic friends....

As you probably all surmised,we made it to FL safe and sound. No regrets about driving down - trip was no problem at all. Just unfortunate that since we cancelled our Spirit flight down to FLL, and since the plane actually did leave Tues morning, we incurred cancellation fees.

The cruise was AWESOME and will now be the first of many for us. I'm now recouperating from a week of nonstop fun, laughing and EATING!!!

As you probably all surmised,we made it to FL safe and sound. No regrets about driving down - trip was no problem at all. Just unfortunate that since we cancelled our Spirit flight down to FLL, and since the plane actually did leave Tues morning, we incurred cancellation fees.

The cruise was AWESOME and will now be the first of many for us. I'm now recouperating from a week of nonstop fun, laughing and EATING!!!

Cancellation fees?? It wasn't bad enough that you had to forfeit the money you already paid for the tickets, but they charged you fees on top of that even with the weather as dicey as it was? I've never heard of cancellation fees for airline tickets. I must be living in the dark ages! What if you just were a noshow and didn't call to cancel- do they still hit you with a charge? I'm sorry, Beth, but I still think you did the right thing by driving and I'm glad you had a fantastic time!

FWIW I have to give kudos to Southwest. As you night know we booked a separate flight and flew down a day earlier than planned. Unfortunately, our original flight was the only flight that got out on Monday. But I called Southwest and explained that I had a hard time getting through on the phone.

The first person I spoke to was no help. The 2nd person I spoke to was very helpful and requested a refund for me. I wchecked today and I've already been credited the money.

I will continue to fly with and recommend Southwest.

How was the drive home, Beth?

Archived