RCI vs NCL

jmele999

We need your help deciding between two different itineraries on two different cruise lines during the same week.

We were initially booked on the Norwegian Star from Tampa to the Western Caribbean (Roatan, Belize City, Costa Maya and Cozumel) in January 2012. We were initially attracted to this cruise because of the new and cheap family suites (there is only two of us, but we enjoy the big room). Since booking with NCL using a cruise reward credit, I have also booked another cruise with RCI during the same week on Adventures of the seas from San Juan to the Southern Caribbean (St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba and Curcacao).

We are now trying to decide between the two cruises. NCL will be cheaper by about $300 total for the two of us (including airfare) – We are booked on a balcony room for both cruises. However, we have never been to the southern Caribbean. We enjoy the NCL freestyle concept but also enjoy meeting and having dinner with others. Adventure of the seas is a bigger ship with more amenities, but we also enjoy the drink special on NCL (2-4-1 on most nights)

Please help us. We would appreciate any help with information about the ports.

Here are the schedule for the two cruises.

NCL

Day

Port

Arrive

Depart

1/22/2012Tampa, Florida4:00 PM1/23/2012At Sea1/24/2012Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras1/24/2012Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras5:00 PM1/25/2012Belize City, Belize1/25/2012Belize City, Belize5:00 PM1/26/2012Costa Maya, Mexico1/26/2012Costa Maya, Mexico5:00 PM1/27/2012Cozumel, Mexico1/27/2012Cozumel, Mexico6:00 PM1/28/2012At Sea1/29/2012Tampa, Florida

RCI

1/22/2012San Juan, Puerto Rico8:30 PM1/23/2012Saint Thomas, US Virgin Islands8:00 AM5:00 PM1/24/2012Saint Kitts and Nevis (Basse Terre)8:00 AM5:00 PM1/25/2012Cruising1/26/2012Oranjestad, Aruba, Netherlands Antilles8:00 AM8:00 PM1/27/2012Willemstad, Curacao, Netherlands Antilles7:00 AM6:00 PM1/28/2012Cruising1/29/2012San Juan, Puerto Rico6:00 AM

What is more important to you?

You seem attracted to the NCL drink specials..if that part of the cruise is important to you then you need to consider that on RCI you can get a "drink of the day" as a special. Other than that...

Many pax enjoy the very casual atmosphere on NCL..others like dressing up and prefer RCI for that reason. (Though many pax on RCI don't bother with the dress "suggestions" and come to dinner in just about any getup they feel like putting on).

If I were sailing RCI out of PR I would prefer the Serenade to the Adventure. Less "firesales" for the Serenade...more sedate cruise...

The Adventure itin spells SHOPPING..to me...the NCL, more sightseeing. Just my opinion..:)

We have sailed both NCL (the Dawn to Bermuda / twice) and RCL (Explorer, Brilliance, Mariner, Voyager, Liberty) and have enjoyed both lines immensely. Both crews made us feel extremely welcome and could not do enough to make our trip enjoyable. We would not hesitate to cruise on both lines again in the future.

In your case, both itineraries sound fascinating ... whatever cruise you choose, we have no doubt you'll enjoy yourself.

Cheers,

Michael and Silke

OP...

You said you have booked a balcony cabin on both ships. Does that mean you decided against the family suite on NCL? I have never sailed in an NCL suite but from what I have read over and over from everyone who has sailed in an NCL suite and also has sailed other mass market lines...no other mass market cruise line comes close to the pampering and over the top attentive service you receive in an NCL suite. NCL's "suite life" can not be beat.

As for sailing out of San Juan...to be honest with you, it kind of bothered me that all I heard all around me was Spanish. If that doesn't bother you, then it should not be an issue at all.

I love RCCL's Voyager class ships for their ice shows, Royal Promenade and their adults only Solariums. I love NCL ships for Freestyle dining as no other mass market cruise ship line beats that amount of different types of restaurants NCL ships have. For the $300 per person that you would pay more for the Adventure, you can each dine in a specialty restaurant on NCL every night of the cruise and have a much superior dining experience for your entire cruise.

I would go with NCL.

I wold choose the Adventure itinerary and one being RCCL and one NCL has nothing to do with it. I just feel that the itinerary that Adventure is offering that week is far superior than the western route the NCL ship is offering.

I would bet alot of money you will have better weather with the Adventure itinerary as well better stops.

Archived