Need Advice on Booking Hotel in Key West

CathyCruises

I am thinking about a couple of post-cruise days in Key West 1/22-23. Everything seems expensive and I don't even know where I want to be. Don't care about being on the water but I do like a nice place. We will have a car but being able to walk places is great. Hotel, motel or B&B would all work--any suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks, Cathy

Not sure what the rates are lately but it is probably peak season for sure...

We stayed at the Doubletree which was a mile or so from downtown but they provided a free hourly shuttle downtown and back... I think it stopped at 11PM.... a nice hotel.

Parking downtown seems to be a challenge so the shuttle worked out great...no charge at the hotel for parking that I remember.

Sometimes the Pier House has good rates and it is very nice and on the water and has plenty of parking (free I think). Also check out the Garden House, a cute B&B in a great location, a few blocks from Duval St. They have nice rooms and great prices that include light breakfast and beer & wine hour. We were told to park at the church next door for a small donation, but call and ask about that since it is high season. We really like this place.

Thanks for the sugestions. The Doubletree is sold out and the Pier House is way up there pricewise. I have emailed the Garden House and am awaiting a response. Also trying to figure out the downside of bidding for a 4 star on Priceline. . .I guess that translates to large chain hotel, and I do prefer something smaller and more personal, so keep the suggestions coming!

Have you checked Parrot Key for their regular guestrooms? Same developer has a resort in Marathon but those are bigger 2-3 bedroom villas. If Key West is busy, would suggest other Keys towns, but more likely to be condos which have longer minimum stay requirement (check VRBO). Hotwire is showing a few properties in KW and a 3* condo in Key Largo.

Thanks for the sugestions. The Doubletree is sold out and the Pier House is way up there pricewise. I have emailed the Garden House and am awaiting a response. Also trying to figure out the downside of bidding for a 4 star on Priceline. . .I guess that translates to large chain hotel, and I do prefer something smaller and more personal, so keep the suggestions coming!

This is the deal with Key West, while there are chains on the island, unless you are way out on Roosevelt, the island is so small, the larger hotels are really nice. The Hyatt, Pier House, The Reach and the others are really nice places to stay.

Also in Key West it isn't really about being on the water because there aren't really any beaches.

You want to be somewhere in close proximity to the busy end of Duval.

Yes, Key West hotels are expensive especially since you are going peak season. Book either priceline or hotwire.

Okay all you smart people!! I researched all the 4 star hotels in Key West on Priceline--from what I can tell, they all (all 4 of them,) look like they would be okay. They are the Waldorf Reach, Marriott Key and Westin Key, plus the Sunset Cottages which are $600 so I doubt that would count. Does anyone know of any horrible thing about any of those that would make me not want to stay there? Even the 2 star hotels are coming in at $150+, so I figure if I could get one of those in that price range I would be doing well.

Thx Cathy

Okay all you smart people!! I researched all the 4 star hotels in Key West on Priceline--from what I can tell, they all (all 4 of them,) look like they would be okay. They are the Waldorf Reach, Marriott Key and Westin Key, plus the Sunset Cottages which are $600 so I doubt that would count. Does anyone know of any horrible thing about any of those that would make me not want to stay there? Even the 2 star hotels are coming in at $150+, so I figure if I could get one of those in that price range I would be doing well.

Thx Cathy

Sunset Key is amazing.

Those are all great hotels they only downside to them would be the location of the Reach, at the opposite end of Duval but the fact that it is a super nice resort makes up for it. They also actually have a beach with their sister property.

Okay great--thanks. As soon as I confirm with DH that he wants to go there, as opposed to staying in Miami for a few days (?) or even going up to Orlando, I will start bidding on Priceline. I booked this trip as a surprise Xmas present for him and planned everything up to the day we get off the ship. I thought it might be nice to leave a few days for him to plan!

Okay great--thanks. As soon as I confirm with DH that he wants to go there, as opposed to staying in Miami for a few days (?) or even going up to Orlando, I will start bidding on Priceline. I booked this trip as a surprise Xmas present for him and planned everything up to the day we get off the ship. I thought it might be nice to leave a few days for him to plan!

If you've not been to the keys, definitely do Key West over Miami and Orlando.

Thx Cathy

The Marriott is not close to old town. The Reach is a pretty far walk but it is doable. Down that end also is the Best Western Hibiscus. I haven't stayed there but rates tend to be low there and the reviews are mostly good; it's very basic but has a big pool and free continental breakfast.

Just found out a family member will give us one night at the Reach if we pay for one, so that looks like our best deal. As it turns out we are there on Sat and Sun, and that's one reason apparently that the rates are so high. . .I kniow it's not right in the heart of the action but I'm sure it'll be great.

Archived