Sapphire - good spot for stargazing?

jinxgirl

Cruise ships are always flooded with light on the public decks (outdoors) at night. I understand that this is necessary for convenience and safety reasons, but nevertheless on a clear night I love to try and find a dark outdoor spot on the ship - devoid of the bright lights you find around the pool and promenade decks at night - so I can gaze at the beautiful star-filled night sky.

For those who have sailed on Sapphire Princess....do you know if there is such a spot anywhere on board?

Thanks!:)

Sadly -- in response to your question -- No!

On a Sapphire sailing a couple of years we had a full eclipse of the moon. There were 8 or 10 of us on one of the top decks. Gradually, we covered all the lights using the pads on the deck chairs. Alas, cloud cover moved in 15 minutes before the full eclipse.

If stargazing is really important, you may want to consider one of the cruises that include a guest lecturer on the subject. We were on the Crown Princess 2009 west bound transatlantic in Sept 2009. We has an astronomy guest lecturer. Here is his web page including pictures and a link to the activities on that specific curise: http://eyeonthesky.com/astrocruises/ The Ship turned off most of the topside lights on several of the nights to allow better viewing.

I can't speak about the Sapphire, but generally areas in front of the bridge are better since they keep the area darker for better viewing by the bridge team.

If stargazing is really important, you may want to consider one of the cruises that include a guest lecturer on the subject. We were on the Crown Princess 2009 west bound transatlantic in Sept 2009. We has an astronomy guest lecturer. Here is his web page including pictures and a link to the activities on that specific curise: http://eyeonthesky.com/astrocruises/ The Ship turned off most of the topside lights on several of the nights to allow better viewing.

I can't speak about the Sapphire, but generally areas in front of the bridge are better since they keep the area darker for better viewing by the bridge team.

Thanks for the information. It's not that I'm a budding astronomer....if I found myself on a cruise that had an astronomer as a guest lecturer then I might attend, but I wouldn't go so far as to choose a cruise with that in mind. No, I just like to enjoy the beauty of a star-filled sky at night, and there is nowhere better to see that sight than in the middle of the ocean.

I know that the Sun Princess has (or, used to have) a terrace at the front of the ship, one or two decks below the bridge that was accessible to passengers. It wasn't a "named" location on the ship, wasn't on any of the ship's deck plans, and wasn't the most comfortable spot - it was very breezy and had no chairs. But it was a perfect stargazing spot because it had no lights.

Haven't been on the Sapphire, but on the Ocean Princess, we sit out on our balcony and get a pretty good view, if our neighbors have their lights off.

Thanks for replying....I have a balcony cabin too, and that will be the default option if I can't find a better spot. It also offers the added benefit of being able to relax in my jammies/bathrobe and enjoy a glass of my own wine while enjoying the stars!

Hoping that someone can suggest a spot topside though, or at least a spot that isn't under cover.

Sadly -- in response to your question -- No!

On a Sapphire sailing a couple of years we had a full eclipse of the moon. There were 8 or 10 of us on one of the top decks. Gradually, we covered all the lights using the pads on the deck chairs. Alas, cloud cover moved in 15 minutes before the full eclipse.

That must have been a sight to see! (the lunar eclipse, AND the ship's lights cover up with chair pads! LOL!)

Archived