Carnival Vow Renewal

purplekisses

My son and future DIL would like to have a small courthouse wedding just prior to cruising to make it all legal and then doing a vow renewal on the cruise ship for a more formal wedding. They are wanting to do this due to cost and also there are a few people who wouldn't be able to cruise or travel to the cruise port. Has anyone else done this? I know you have to have a marriage to do the vow renewal so they would do this about 1-2 weeks before the cruise.

My son and future DIL would like to have a small courthouse wedding just prior to cruising to make it all legal and then doing a vow renewal on the cruise ship for a more formal wedding. They are wanting to do this due to cost and also there are a few people who wouldn't be able to cruise or travel to the cruise port. Has anyone else done this? I know you have to have a marriage to do the vow renewal so they would do this about 1-2 weeks before the cruise.

Make sure you check with the cruise line that this vow renewal is doable. I know that Norwegian Cruise lines requires you to be married at least one year before you can book their vowel renew package. I guess they are trying to keep couples from going the cheaper route.

Carnival does the vow renewal on the last sea day, so only the people sailing will be there for the ceremony. Ours was very nice, but we've been married for 20 years so this wasn't like you were wanting to have. It was in the library in the afternoon on the last sea day, the captain came down to do the ceremony, they played the music I brought with me, we did a sand ceremony, the cake was fabulous and more than we could have eaten in a week!

Thanks for you help. The only people that will be at the ceremony will be those on the cruise. Mainly my son's family and a few friends. My son thought it would be easier and cheaper to get married at our local courthouse then do a vow renewal for a more formal ceremony. They are both college students and her family is not very supportive in her life. So my husband and are trying to help them out with the costs. They just want something special without blowing the bank. We though this would be the ticket.

Then I would highly recommend it! It sounds just like what you would be interested in. It was very nice. We got wonderful photos - they send a photographer and he/she takes photos before, during and after ceremony. They even take you around the ship and take formal poses, too. Like I said before, the cake is wonderful and a lot. They even serve you the leftovers at dinner later that night. Our sand ceremony was a wonderful addition, too. They set up a very nice table with linens and had very thing set up so nice. The captain was very sweet, too. My husband's uncle who was on the cruise with us said a very special prayer and got very choked up. If you would like to see photos, let me know and I can email them to you.

That would be wonderful. ramirez@cut.net We are just starting the planning phase and looking who will be able to join us. My husband and I have crusied several times but it will be a first for my son and new daughter. They have been looking a lot of different wedding ideas and they wanted to do a cruise so this seemed perfect for them.

I don't want to rain on the parade, but I would call the cruise line again and make sure you are talking to someone in the wedding department. I haven't heard of any cruise line doing a vow renewal under 18 months (although I trust Lipz with one year for NCL since I didn't call them)

I heard someone else was given wrong information and caused all kinds of problems. better to double check and be safe then disappointed later.

There are other options available too but we can go into that after you double check.

I called the wedding department again and spoke with Carolina. There is no time limit as far as when the first wedding took place. They do need you to fax a copy of the marriage certificate to them at least on week in advance.

My son is planning on being married at the courthouse the first week in March and we would be sailing March 25, 2012. We are a very small county so we can get the certificate the next day after the judge signs it. Then we will fax it. I did ask if you would send me confirmation of receiving the fax so I know for sure.

We are doing a vow renewal for our 40th on the Spirit to Alaska but I did not want to spend money on a package that did not interest me. So I reserved the chapel for the day and time I wanted. We have 3 wonderful sons who are going to share in doing the ceremony for us, walking me down the aisle and standing with their Dad, and playing the music on their IPod thingys. Then I will have already set up the champagne toast with the bartender in the piano bar for immediately after the ceremony. And tip him to make sure that the pianist will get our request to play our song for a dance. Then, since this is on formal night, we will have pictures taken at some of the photog stations they will have set up around the ship. Finally, I will have our table pre-set up with the maitre d' in the dining room at 6PM with the cake as our centerpiece. And the good news is it will only cost for the champagne and the cake and any pictures we decide to order. I love doing my own thing!

That sounds wonderful. I hope everything goes well. My son is 25 and his honey is 20, it is the first wedding for both. She has always wanted the flowers, cake and something a little more formal, with her parents not in the picture, this seemed perfect for them. My husband and I are covering the cost of the vow renewal package as our gift to them.

• 2 years later...

My fiance and i are planning a couthouse wedding (second marriage for both of us) the week before we cruise just he and i then a vow renewal before our family/children which will be on the cruise with us. According to the wedding dept on carnival there isnt any time stipualtions and you are allowed to arrange the vow renewal when you board the ship, at that time you can schedule a place & time for your renewal to take place. Has anyone did this same thing before?

My fiance and i are planning a couthouse wedding (second marriage for both of us) the week before we cruise just he and i then a vow renewal before our family/children which will be on the cruise with us. According to the wedding dept on carnival there isnt any time stipualtions and you are allowed to arrange the vow renewal when you board the ship, at that time you can schedule a place & time for your renewal to take place. Has anyone did this same thing before?

My wife and I did--we even wrote a review all about our experience. We did pay for and arrange our ceremony months before the cruise, so it was one less thing we had to worry about.

Archived