Flights to San Juan

Gma&Gpa

Last year we did the Western Route - but would like to go in the spring of 2006 to the southern route - and include Aruba. So far, the ships I've found are very limited - Destiny appears to be the only Carnival ship that hits that route.

Unfortunately, looks like in order to get to that route - we will need to depart from San Juan. In your experiences, what is my best choice of airlines/etc to get to San Juan to start the trip reasonably. We live on the east coast - in Virginia - and are willing to drive even several hours to some other airports to find a decent rate. Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Also - if you've gone on this cruise - is that southern most leg to aruba worth the difference in flights to San Juan - as opposed to leaving out of Miami/Lauderdale, etc.??

Thanks much... happy cruising

We did the southern route October 2004. We went with RCI because they were in port longer than Destiny and the balcony on RCI was cheaper than that on Destiny. It seemed that I checked forever for airfare but the best deal from DC to PR was Spirit Air. Air was $200 roundtrip and the flight was just fine.

So far, the ships I've found are very limited - Destiny appears to be the only Carnival ship that hits that route.

A good site for easily checking which ships go to a particular port is http://www.choosingcruising.co.uk/Cruiseweb/Ports_CL.asp. There you'll find that in addition to the Destiny, other (mainline) ships stopping at Aruba in March 2006 include the Celebrity Constellation, the Golden Princess, RCCL's AOS, and RCCL's Brilliance of the Seas. All leave from San Juan, except the latter which leaves from Miami! You may want to check these out further to explore the complete itinerary and to do a tradeoff with air fares to Southern Florida vs. San Juan.

A good site for seeing what ships will be in port with your ship on any given day is

http://www.cruisecal.com/dnn/

When I was checking aruond for our last cruise, the Destiny was cheaper than anything else(and it was Easter week), and we were able to get 2 balcony cabins ( one for the kids). The ship was fine, I loved the itinerary, and the crew was great

A good site for seeing what ships will be in port with your ship on any given day is

http://www.cruisecal.com/dnn/

When I was checking aruond for our last cruise, the Destiny was cheaper than anything else(and it was Easter week), and we were able to get 2 balcony cabins ( one for the kids). The ship was fine, I loved the itinerary, and the crew was great

That is a cool site! Thanks!

To answer your original question, I feel American Airlines is the best to San Juan. It is their Latin American hub and they have a very strong presence. They're the strongest of the domestic airlines these days, and unlikely to up-and-vanish precipitously.

JetBlue seems to be a good choice as well, but routing from Virginia may be pretty bad -- you'd end up getting routed through New York, pretty far out of the way.

We have flown Jet blue many times to San Juan. The price and the flight are great. Granted, we are from NJ and so we got to go from JFK non stop. I do not know how you would get the flight unless you made a connection. The price is way better than AA and frankly so is the flight Continental flies from EWR, however they are a bot pricey.

Thanks for all the replies... I'll definitely be looking at those sites. And I'll definitely look at that one that goes from Miami... would certainly be easier than trying to get to San Juan first - will depend on how the prices look.

Thanks again - sure looking forward to getting some definite plans made.

:)

Archived