Jewel Review-December 2012

coffeecat

We were on the same cruise as Coffeecat, and although we only had a balcony cabin, we were fortunate enough to be given VIP status by hotel director Brian Walters, who knew us from a cruise last year on the Norwegian Majesty.

In my opinon, having been a suite passenger on NCL, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Carnival, there is simply no better "perk" we have encountered than breakfast and lunch in Cagney's on an NCL ship!

Combining that with some of the benefits we get as Platinum Latitudes members...two free dinners for two including wine in LeBistro, and free laundry on "stuff everything you can in the bag" day (OK...we have this oddball laundry thing;) ) and we feel we get a luxury cruise at rock bottom mass market prices.

I am anxious to see how the suite life is because right now I am a huge fan of the suite life on HAL. I love the Neptune Lounge, Concierge and free laundry anytime. The rooms are beautiful and the balconies are large so we are pretty spoiled right now. Breakfast in HAL'S specialty restaurant for suite passengers is a plus as well so we are hoping to be won over and able to cruise out of our home port all the time.

Coffeecat, I was so nervous thinking you might not appreciate me making my comments, but thanks for being so nice. I love both of them! Can you imagine the fun I had in culinary school? It was the best! Did you try NCL's pretzel rolls too? Love those as well!

Hey Donna,

I imagine that culinary school was awesome! And no worries at all about your post-I have been reading cruise critic and your posts for long enough that I knew your intentions were good. I am glad you set the record straight on the difference between the two :).

Did not try the pretzel rolls...will have to save that for the next cruise. I did see them though somewhere on the Jewel so I know what to look for now.

Is your next cruise planned yet?

Coffeecat

Thanks for the info on the specialty restaurants. We're going January 12. Is there a coffee card or coffee special?

Susan

Hmmm...I didn't even look into this but perhaps someone else can chime in. I hope you have a great cruise!

Coffeecat

The Spa on the Jewel is very nice. They have separate men's/women's areas and a coed area. The separate area has a hot tub, steam room, sauna (with an ocean view), hot/cold spa shower, cold plunge tub, regular showers, blow dryers, lockers, robes, towels and a couple of chairs/ottomans to relax in. They also have coed area with the heated stone loungers and a hydro pool which is a jacuzzi you lie down in - fits about 4 people - great massage all over. They have juice, tea and cold water.

Both areas are in the front of the ship so the view is great. The women's area was never really crowded but just a few times we went, the coed loungers were full. Mostly, it was very quiet and relaxing. I definitely recommend it. We got a 6 day pass (our trip was the one cut short 1 day) for $150. I'm not sure if that's the regular rate. It was so worth it especially on the code days.

FYI, the CY has the hot tub and pool plus a steam room in the back, and I think showers. I didnt' see a sauna and does not have the view!

Enjoy!

The Spa on the Jewel is very nice. They have separate men's/women's areas and a coed area. The separate area has a hot tub, steam room, sauna (with an ocean view), hot/cold spa shower, cold plunge tub, regular showers, blow dryers, lockers, robes, towels and a couple of chairs/ottomans to relax in. They also have coed area with the heated stone loungers and a hydro pool which is a jacuzzi you lie down in - fits about 4 people - great massage all over. They have juice, tea and cold water.

Both areas are in the front of the ship so the view is great. The women's area was never really crowded but just a few times we went, the coed loungers were full. Mostly, it was very quiet and relaxing. I definitely recommend it. We got a 6 day pass (our trip was the one cut short 1 day) for $150. I'm not sure if that's the regular rate. It was so worth it especially on the code days.

FYI, the CY has the hot tub and pool plus a steam room in the back, and I think showers. I didnt' see a sauna and does not have the view!

Enjoy!

Thanks for the info. I had the 10 spa pass last year on the Gem and loved it ! Looking forward to relaxing on those chilly sea days..

Just curious - is there a surcharge for eating at Cagney's for breakfast and lunch, or just for dinner?

Thanks!

Only suite guests (full suites only, not mini suites) and VIPs have breakfast and lunch privileges at Cagney's. There is no additional charge. It's not open to anyone else, even for a surcharge.

Which restaurant is open on embarkation for lunch for non suite passengers?

I know one of the MDRs are usually open for lunch but it is not well publicized and is so much nicer than the buffet on embarkation day.

That would be Tsar's Palace. Very nice... and very calm, whereas the buffet probably wasn't. (But I didn't know, since I was at Tsar's!)

Which restaurant is open on embarkation for lunch for non suite passengers?

I know one of the MDRs are usually open for lunch but it is not well publicized and is so much nicer than the buffet on embarkation day.

On most NCL ships it is the larger aft dining room...the Tsar's Palace on the Jewel. But I have been on cruises where the smaller mid ship dining room has been used, and even one where both were open. They usually hand you a Freestyle Daily after you leave the check in line and head for the waiting area. It will be listed in there.

Archived