Items you brought and never used

Queenofthechickens

BOOKS...!!

Seeing how sooooo many people bring duplicate items and others are sorry for something that they've forgotten... I think the ship should have a Post Board:

If you are in need of _______ then Cabin #_____ will share...! :)

Oh I LIKE that idea!!

I have drug along the duct tape for dozens of cruises.....finally needed it last October when I had to wrap it around a broken suitecase for the flight home. I was a little worried about TSA - but it arrived home unopened.

I was glad I had it ! :D

So what is this thing about Duct Tape? I've even asked a friend in the USA to sent me a role of bright pink Duck brand Duck tape from the USA, as all we have here is dull grey stuff.

i read to bring it incase your luggage gets ripped. u can use the duct tape to repair the hole.

If you take duct tape to repair a suitcase that gets damaged, Guest Services will have RCCL personnel give a look at the suitcase and, they will even provide you with the duct tape, should no other remedy be found. I used it to easily identify my luggage on our first cruise after I found the tip here. RUINED the outside of the suitcase for good...it won't come off without leaving a mess...ugh!

Two mini flashlights (never used them).

4 huge beach towels - waste of space (never used them) - I know we get towels from the ship, but I used to use my own - not this time - and never again.

Ziplock bags - took a couple so my boys could collect shells. They were heartbroken when they were confiscated. No more ziplocks.

One thing I'm glad I did take on this trip that I hadn't on other cruises - my headphones (yes, the huge ones to block out sound). My hubby snored so bad on some nights, those things saved me!!

Things I forgot that I wished I'd have taken - ALOE & After-Sun Lotion!!!

Omg.... I have used (many times) the power strip... Great to plug in while doing the hair.. Hairdryer, straightner, etc...

AND.. I thought I would never use, but SO glad I brought anyway.... Hot Pink duck tape! I wound the duck tape around my suitcase handles, easier to spot amoung all the dark suicases, and on my last cruise, my zipper busted on my suitcase.... Thank Gawd, I had that hot pink duck tape!

Let's see if I can remember all the things I purchased for our first cruise and never used: water wallet, more than one disposable underwater camera, over the door shoe holder, water shoes (X's 4), address book for postcards (never sent them :o), travel journal (now I use a small notepad), extra bag for packing souvenirs, cooler for the beach, thermal coffee mugs, post it notes, highlighter pen.

A lot of this stuff is used by some people, I just found all the above to be unnecessary for us.

There's more but it's been since 1998 and I don't recall it all.

The most costly items were all the new clothes I bought for the whole family. I really thought cruising was a luxury vacation and people would be more dressed up than they were. That was an expensive lesson learned, now I just pack from the clothing I already have.

Our first cruise was 1999 and we brought a lot of the same things you brought and didn't use them, but I do like the highlighters. Anyway--yeah, i think cruising USED to be more luxurious, now the cruise-lines:) appeal to the masses.

• 2 months later...

On the advice of so many people on CC, I definitely overpacked on my frst cruise in the "miscellaneous stuff to take" category. A few things I didn't use, I'll pack anyway, but here are the things I won't pack on my next cruise:

Over the door shoe rack (I travel solo, so there's plenty of storage)

Duck tape

Power strip

Extension cord

Ginger snap cookies, ginger candies, ginger pills

Travel clothes steamer

Highlighter, post-it notes, "Command" wall hooks, magnets

Flashlight

Binoculars

There are other things I took and didn't use, but will probably take anyway....just in case (umbrealla, bug spray, etc.)

I didn't use the binoculars, because there was too much light pollution to see the stars :(

Since I didn't overdo the "equipment", I'll probably take the same stuff I took last time, including the Duck Tape. Didnt take an over the door shoe bag, power strip, and a lot of other stuff that people refered to.

All of her extra shoes that never get worn.....

I'm a cripple, so I very limited in how many pairs of shoes I can take, everything needs to be suitable for othopedic work. One everyday, one workout, one formal. And that is that. Sure saves space! No Imelda-ing for me!

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to think of things that I packed and never used and the only one I could think of was an umbrella. The only day I've needed one was in port one day in St. Maarten and guess where the umbrella was? Yep...the cabin. Things I bring and don't use every time but would NEVER sail without are:

Eyeglasses repair kit

Duct tape - hubby laughed the first time I packed it but we've used it for something on EVERY trip since (both cruises and land vacations)

Post-it notes

Sharpie

Assortment of OTC meds (Tylenol, Pepto, allergy)

Workout clothes...hehehe...should use every time but some cruises they just sit n the closet :o

I've only brought a power strip once...did use it but really didn't need it...probably will skip next time

Have never brought a clothes steamer but got one for Christmas so will pack it in October.

Archived