Blackbeard's Castle - Any good?

galliegirlie

I know that Blackbeard's Castle is only open on cruise ship days, so I'm expecting it to be touristy, however I wanted to get people's opinions if it is a worthwhile place to visit and tour. We are two adults who love history and historical sites. Would you recommend the self guided tour, or the guided tour? How much time should be alloted for this site?

This will be our first time in St. Thomas, and we are not really interested in shopping or an island tour. Currently I'm thinking about a walking tour of historic Charlotte Amalie, working our way towards Blackbeard's Castle, then head back towards the pier and go up to Paradise Point.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a historic walking tour guide?

I would Goggle St Thomas and search around for the Historical Society. There is one and they do have guides. Also the Synagogue is very historic, oldest in continuous use in the Western Hemisphere, sand floor and all. I am not of that faith, but the museum there is wonderful. It will come up on Google.

Enjoy your day.:)

B.

I have to say that I have been going to St. Thomas since 1983, spent some significant time on the Island and never been to Blackbeards Castle. I haven't to Bluebeard's Castle since maybe 1987, so I am not showing favorites ;) It's just one of things I never did, kinda like someone living in NYC and never going to the Empire State Building. I have driven by a 1000 times and never really saw the appeal to going there.

I can comment on Betsy's Mom comment about visiting the synagogue. I am Jewish and really enjoy the walk up there, I would suggest it no matter what faith you are. The building is very historic and the sand on the floor is unique. Several times I have been there and there appeared to be no one around, but the door is open. No problem, I have walked in, looked around, taken a few pics and even left tzedakah (a charitable contribution) in the box on the door.

Many of the historical buildings are like this, feel free to walk in and would suggest also visiting the Frederick Luthern Church, Government Hill, and if it's ever completed from restoration (we are going what, year 4 or 5 now?) while you are there in the future, Fort Christian.

Scott

Well, we had a great time there last year (once we found someone to take us up there), but then we have grandchildren fascinated by pirates, so we spent quite a while taking pictures of us with the statues. We walked from there back to the ship (at the Crown terminal, not Havensight)...it was quite a walk.

I'll try and make this a short story...

When we went to the castle we had a blast. DH and I posed with all the statues in funny poses. You make your way down going through different buildings. We entered the one building and the guide start explaining about the woodwork in the house. He asked us where we were from, and we told him the US, he asked where, we told him the state. He asked us what part of the state, we told him....he asked us what town?!!! I said, YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!! He repeated, what town??? We told him, and low and behold he grew up about 1/2 hour from where we live, and he worked 1/2 hour from us in the other direction from where we live. Small world...

DH and I talk about going back to see him, but we will be meeting a friend of ours that has a home down there, those homes you see on top of the hill when you pull into port. Funny thing is, he lives 1 hour away from us here, he's just going down to meet us when we visit St. Thomas to give us HIS tour of the island. Can't wait!!!

Archived