Excursions in Saudi Arabia from Dubai?

elcano

We have had three visits to Dubai this year and have used a company called Arabian Adventures. We have been very pleased with them. If you "google" Arabian Adventures Tours, then on the left hand side - Tours from Dubai - then along the top Day Tours,

you will find that they have quite a number to choose from. They also have an office

on the left-hand side just after coming out of the arrivals hall at the Dubai airport where brochures would be available.

Cruising in the Emirates on Costa Deliziosa, from Dubai. We´ll spend some days in Dubai and was wondering if there was some day trip to Saudi Arabia with a private operator. Anybody knows it?

1. It is a LONG way to anything worthwhile in Saudi from Dubai. About 550 miles from Dubai to Riyadh which would mean a plane into Saudi.

2. Getting a visa to enter Saudi can be a REAL problem depending on where you are from. Can also be VERY costly-way too much for a day trip. Saudi is going to start charging Canadians up to $1000 for a 6 month multi entry visa. Even the cheapo 7 day tourist visa is going to cost Canadians $250.00.

3. Women must be completely covered even if you are a tourist. The religious police can arrest and detain you for even MINOR infractions.

4. You must REALLY watch what medications you take into all points in the Middle East but particularly the more strict Muslim nations. Even things like Sudafed can get you thrown in jail.

5. The most interesting cities in Saudi are off limits to non-Muslims-Medina and Mecca.

If you want to see more of the Middle East, get on a plane from Dubai and fly into Kuwait or Bahrain. Gulf Air, Kuwait Airways, Etihad, Qatar, etc. etc. all have very frequent flights all over the Middle East. Bahrain is wide open-it is where US and other countries expat communities go to let off a little steam on the weekends. Kuwait has some pretty interesting attractions but the wild herds of camels north of Kuwait City are simply fascinating. They will come right up to you, hoping you have an apple for them.

I have spent quite a bit of time in the Middle East in the last 2 years. Saudi is one of the countries that sure isn't on my tourist map, although I have been there once for a business conference. Felt very weird all the time I was there and could hardly wait to get out of that country.

We have had three visits to Dubai this year and have used a company called Arabian Adventures. We have been very pleased with them. If you "google" Arabian Adventures Tours, then on the left hand side - Tours from Dubai - then along the top Day Tours,

you will find that they have quite a number to choose from. They also have an office

on the left-hand side just after coming out of the arrivals hall at the Dubai airport where brochures would be available.

Thanks Goldygolfer. I will check Arabian Adventures then, and probably will try it.

HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM CANARY ISLANDS !

1. It is a LONG way to anything worthwhile in Saudi from Dubai. About 550 miles from Dubai to Riyadh which would mean a plane into Saudi.

2. Getting a visa to enter Saudi can be a REAL problem depending on where you are from. Can also be VERY costly-way too much for a day trip. Saudi is going to start charging Canadians up to $1000 for a 6 month multi entry visa. Even the cheapo 7 day tourist visa is going to cost Canadians $250.00.

3. Women must be completely covered even if you are a tourist. The religious police can arrest and detain you for even MINOR infractions.

4. You must REALLY watch what medications you take into all points in the Middle East but particularly the more strict Muslim nations. Even things like Sudafed can get you thrown in jail.

5. The most interesting cities in Saudi are off limits to non-Muslims-Medina and Mecca.

If you want to see more of the Middle East, get on a plane from Dubai and fly into Kuwait or Bahrain. Gulf Air, Kuwait Airways, Etihad, Qatar, etc. etc. all have very frequent flights all over the Middle East. Bahrain is wide open-it is where US and other countries expat communities go to let off a little steam on the weekends. Kuwait has some pretty interesting attractions but the wild herds of camels north of Kuwait City are simply fascinating. They will come right up to you, hoping you have an apple for them.

I have spent quite a bit of time in the Middle East in the last 2 years. Saudi is one of the countries that sure isn't on my tourist map, although I have been there once for a business conference. Felt very weird all the time I was there and could hardly wait to get out of that country.

Thank you for all this information. Definitely it´s not worth a day trip ... I will think about a trip to another nearby country following your advise. Best regards.

HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM CANARY ISLANDS

Thanks Goldygolfer. I will check Arabian Adventures then, and probably will try it.

HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM CANARY ISLANDS !

To elcano:

I notice you live in the Canary Islands, I expect to be there aboard Adventure of the Seas around Nov 11 2011 and will be visiting Tenerife, Gran Canaria and Lanzarote.

Looking for recommendations on a tour company in Las Palmas, can you suggest a couple of names?

Thanks for your help.

By the way, I expect to be in Dubai around April 2012 and have been looking at Arabbian Adventures site, it looks pretty good.

To elcano:

I notice you live in the Canary Islands, I expect to be there aboard Adventure of the Seas around Nov 11 2011 and will be visiting Tenerife, Gran Canaria and Lanzarote.

Looking for recommendations on a tour company in Las Palmas, can you suggest a couple of names?

Thanks for your help.

By the way, I expect to be in Dubai around April 2012 and have been looking at Arabbian Adventures site, it looks pretty good.

Yes, Canary Islands is my homeland but actually I live in Norway. Anyway, I know very well Gran Canaria because I was living there for 2 years. I am giving you a couple of names for tours there:

- Option 1: If you plan going with some more people, you could try with Tamaragua Tours. They organize tours in all the Canary Islands. Best for groups. e-mail: reservas@tamaraguatours.es

- Option 2: If you want a private tour for 1 to 4 people, it is absolutely

recommended to hire an official guide / driver from the Local Guides Association. I have made a couple of excursions this way and enjoyed it a lot. The guide´s e-mail we hired is r_exss@hotmail.com ( Speaks Spanish, English and German ).

In both options I think they could send you a detailed information about the " things to do " there.

Best regards!

Will this be a problem in Dubai? We always travel with Tylenol and Sudafed.

Will this be a problem in Dubai? We always travel with Tylenol and Sudafed.

Here's 49 pages of prohibited drugs: http://www.moh.gov.ae/admincp/assetsmanager/files/pharmacusts/updated%20controlled%20medical%20list%20seperated%202007.pdf

Actifed is SPECIFICALLY listed in the Dubai list, Sudafed is on the list given out by the US Military. Pseudoephedrine is the prohibited ingredient and it is the INGREDIENTS that Dubai looks at.

Please note that even things as common as certain types of birth control, hormone therapy and ****** can be confiscated and can even land you in jail. Anything like valium/******-an absolute no no unless you get PRIOR permission from the Ministry of Health on OFFICIAL letterhead (NOT easy to get according to some of my friends that actually live in Dubai). The medicines ARE available in Dubai-they are just tightly controlled through hospitals/clinics. There are few pharmacies as we think of them-Walgreens, CVS, etc. Prescriptions are given out when you go to the doctor be it hospital or clinic. Same way in Kuwait-a VERY efficient system.

MAKE SURE you have ORIGINAL prescriptions (not just the bottle, but the actual prescription).

Here's 49 pages of prohibited drugs: http://www.moh.gov.ae/admincp/assetsmanager/files/pharmacusts/updated%20controlled%20medical%20list%20seperated%202007.pdf

Actifed is SPECIFICALLY listed in the Dubai list, Sudafed is on the list given out by the US Military. Pseudoephedrine is the prohibited ingredient and it is the INGREDIENTS that Dubai looks at.

Please note that even things as common as certain types of birth control, hormone therapy and ****** can be confiscated and can even land you in jail. Anything like valium/******-an absolute no no unless you get PRIOR permission from the Ministry of Health on OFFICIAL letterhead (NOT easy to get according to some of my friends that actually live in Dubai). The medicines ARE available in Dubai-they are just tightly controlled through hospitals/clinics. There are few pharmacies as we think of them-Walgreens, CVS, etc. Prescriptions are given out when you go to the doctor be it hospital or clinic. Same way in Kuwait-a VERY efficient system.

MAKE SURE you have ORIGINAL prescriptions (not just the bottle, but the actual prescription).

What about Acetaminophen, the ingredient in tylenol? If someone is allergic to aspirin will a doctors note suffice if carrying Pseudoephedrine or Acetaminophen?

If you want to see more of the Middle East, get on a plane from Dubai and fly into Kuwait or Bahrain.

I actually signed up just to respond to some of this. I live in Kuwait and can give some advice about traveling in the Middle East.

The visa thing. Those costs are actually for the UAE (Dubai and such), not for Saudi. The UAE is mad at Canada right now over landing rights and as a response has said Canadians need those expensive visas to enter the country.

The Medication thing. Don't go over the top worrying about it. I travel into Dubai regularly (I play rugby against teams in the UAE). I always travel with my birth control, my allergy medication, gravol, advil, and tylenol. None of these have ever gotten me stopped. It's also important to note that I'm not carrying in a suitcase full of anything. It's just a small bottle or package of each.

It's also not true that medication is very controlled in Kuwait. There are little pharmacies everywhere in Kuwait. I actually rarely go to the doctor because I just go into the pharmacy, describe my systems, and they pass me something from behind the counter. I actually even get my birth control just by requesting it at the pharmacy (no prescriptions for me!)

If you are looking for somewhere to travel outside of the UAE, I'd actually recommend Oman over Kuwait. Oman offers a lot of beauty and nature, if you're into that stuff. They're also into tourism more than Kuwait is. When I've gone to Oman, I went Dolphin watching, kayaking, I checked out some wadis, and a lot of other things. On my next trip I plan to do some canyoning and turtle watching.

Please let me know if you have any questions I can help with :)

I actually signed up just to respond to some of this. I live in Kuwait and can give some advice about traveling in the Middle East.

The visa thing. Those costs are actually for the UAE (Dubai and such), not for Saudi. The UAE is mad at Canada right now over landing rights and as a response has said Canadians need those expensive visas to enter the country.

You are correct. My mistake-thinking of the Emirates dispute which is going to cost Canadians departing on cruises from Dubai some serious cash.

The Medication thing. Don't go over the top worrying about it. I travel into Dubai regularly (I play rugby against teams in the UAE). I always travel with my birth control, my allergy medication, gravol, advil, and tylenol. None of these have ever gotten me stopped. It's also important to note that I'm not carrying in a suitcase full of anything. It's just a small bottle or package of each.

It's also not true that medication is very controlled in Kuwait. There are little pharmacies everywhere in Kuwait. I actually rarely go to the doctor because I just go into the pharmacy, describe my systems, and they pass me something from behind the counter. I actually even get my birth control just by requesting it at the pharmacy (no prescriptions for me!)

Are you a GCC passport holder??? Do you have dual citizenship? Do you have a permanent resident card or permanent work permit? If so, you are correct about the pharmacies and how prescription medicines are looked at crossing Middle East borders. Rarely are those with GCC passports or permanent work permits subjected to any special attention. Mine and my friends carryon's were ripped apart entering Dubai not very long ago, while our native Kuwait friends with GCC passports were just waived through.

BUT for tourists or those of us that spend a lot of time in Kuwait working but do not have permanent work permits, the situation is very, very different. I either have to buy everything at the PX at Camp Arifjan (non prescription) OR go to one of the hospitals/clinics to get any type of prescription medicine. I have tried one or two pharmacies over by Ace Hardware and another in Fahaheel and without the permanent work permit, you are turned away. Maybe I just don't know where to go.

Y

Are you a GCC passport holder??? Do you have dual citizenship? Do you have a permanent resident card or permanent work permit? If so, you are correct about the pharmacies and how prescription medicines are looked at crossing Middle East borders. Rarely are those with GCC passports or permanent work permits subjected to any special attention. Mine and my friends carryon's were ripped apart entering Dubai not very long ago, while our native Kuwait friends with GCC passports were just waived through.

BUT for tourists or those of us that spend a lot of time in Kuwait working but do not have permanent work permits, the situation is very, very different. I either have to buy everything at the PX at Camp Arifjan (non prescription) OR go to one of the hospitals/clinics to get any type of prescription medicine. I have tried one or two pharmacies over by Ace Hardware and another in Fahaheel and without the permanent work permit, you are turned away. Maybe I just don't know where to go.

That has never happened to me or to any of the people that I travel with. We have a mix of passports and residencies. Some of us have Kuwait residencies, some people are in on tourist visas and leave every three months or so.

I've also never had a pharmacy ask to see my passport/civil id/or work permit when asking for medication at a pharmacy. I make a request, pay for it, and am on my way.

Ideally if we could get further clarification from anybody living in Kuwait and/or Dubai would be great.

Thanks

Kewii lives in Kuwait and I spend 4-8 months per year working in the Middle East as a US Military contractor. I am not eligible for a permanent work permit/civil ID as I am in and out of various Middle East countries and am not in one country long enough to qualify. I am a US passport holder.

As I pointed out, the way the rules are enforced varies greatly depending upon whether you have a residency permit and whether you are a GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council) passport holder or have dual citizenship.

I stand by what I posted. Be very careful what you take across borders. Will it be allowed if it is on the "prohibited" lists??? Who knows??? Think of how our own TSA allows/doesn't allow the same thing in the same day with two different people. I follow what the US military passes out to all incoming contractors. Other than the incident at the Dubai airport a few months ago, I have had no other problems (but I also generally fly into Abu Dhabi on Etihad, not into Dubai-smaller, quieter airport).

Hi Greatam! Totally off topic here, but I was looking for you because we are finally ready to visit Peru/Machu Picchu. You probably have more info than anyone on whether we can get there on our own from Arica, Chile. I know it will never be enough time, but what we will have time wise next year. Thanks in advance.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1336434

Archived