travelling on the dream on the 6th Jan 2011 advice please

Hi I'm travelling on the dream on the 6th of Jan "SOON", could you give me advice on cost of drinks on board, trips a shore and things I should be aware of while I'm on board. I'm hoping to book some tours independantly at a number of the places where going to, if any one would like to join me and my wife let me know.

Don't know what you mean, I booked the holiday 2 days ago and got the comfirmation email to day. It aked me to pre book my passport details with them, did that and have a booking ref no.

It sounds like it's definite then...unlike the poor souls who are having their cruises cancelled with less than 24 hrs notice. I hope you have a great cruise.

ET

It sounds like it's definite then...unlike the poor souls who are having their cruises cancelled with less than 24 hrs notice. I hope you have a great cruise.

ET

I've missed this - which cruises are being cancelled? :eek::eek::eek:

Just seen other thread - what chances us getting off then ET? :D

Yeh I confirmed entered passport details , even paid to reserve seats . But 13 hours before flying out got a phone call cruise cancelled .

Dont believe it until your on board and set sail !!:(

GOING SOON, We hope. Could any one give advice on bar bills, food, where's is the best place to eat, is it worth the extra at the posh resturant. Are shops on board ok for price or is it best to wait to go of shore for basics, sun tan oils, treats and duty frees. do you need to take towells or do they supply them. Is there a safe in the cabin, do you have to pay for it, if so how much. Any more advice would be gratefull, many thanks gary.

Gary, I'll be going on the 20th on the Cuban Adventure itinerary. From the reviews on this website I know that there is a free safe in the cabin, and it seems that the formal restaurant on level 4 is lovely, while the others are not so good. If you read the reviews rather than the forum they give quite a lot more into. I've been using trip advisor to look for trips when we're onshore, mainly because they're rated against others at the ports. I hope you don't get cancelled (and that we don't either!) Try the reviews and trip advisor and have a lovely time - look for the good things not the bad!

Thank you and I will, We travel to east midland tommorow so hopfully no phone calls and the aircon is all fixed. Thank you

I sent Thomson a very strongly worded email about my own issue with them about cabins and my experience of their general organisation, and I hoped but didn't think it would get a response. But I did! A rep phoned me a couple of days ago.

He seemed to answer all my questions.

The ship is in Havana in Cuba (and has been for the past 2 days interupting its planned schedule) having the new units for the air conditioning fitted and he 'expects' this to solve the current problems caused by the frozen pipes in the air conditioning that the ship suffered whilst in dry dock in Hamburg. (Still snow on the ground over there this morning)

Our cabin reservation cock-up was caused by a computer glitch (one of many I presume according to recent posts) and this has meant that our original cabins will still be occupied by people on the previous cruise because our cruise is 17 days and their cruise finishes a week into ours before we come back across the Atlantic. (Why it took Thomsons TA 2 months to work that out I have no idea, but I will raise that issue with them before we pay our balance this Saturday!)

I very much hope that everyone sailing on her in the next few days and from now on, will find her in much better form and that you all really enjoy yourselves.

Kev

I sent Thomson a very strongly worded email about my own issue with them about cabins and my experience of their general organisation, and I hoped but didn't think it would get a response. But I did! A rep phoned me a couple of days ago.

He seemed to answer all my questions.

The ship is in Havana in Cuba (and has been for the past 2 days interupting its planned schedule) having the new units for the air conditioning fitted and he 'expects' this to solve the current problems caused by the frozen pipes in the air conditioning that the ship suffered whilst in dry dock in Hamburg. (Still snow on the ground over there this morning)

Our cabin reservation cock-up was caused by a computer glitch (one of many I presume according to recent posts) and this has meant that our original cabins will still be occupied by people on the previous cruise because our cruise is 17 days and their cruise finishes a week into ours before we come back across the Atlantic. (Why it took Thomsons TA 2 months to work that out I have no idea, but I will raise that issue with them before we pay our balance this Saturday!)

I very much hope that everyone sailing on her in the next few days and from now on, will find her in much better form and that you all really enjoy yourselves.

Kev

Not sure who you gave you information that Dream was already in Havana but according to marine traffic live she was still in Cozumel at 5pm yesterday. Checked today and the Dream has left Cozumel as planned and should arrive in Havana at 13.00 (6pm our time) today so looks as if Thomsons giving you false information. I am not a marine expert but to get to Havana 2 days ago just does not ring true so will wait to see what transpires today. We are due to fly out next week to join the ship in Barbados so would very much like your post to be true but not convinced mainly due to Thomsons previous PR record.

Thank you and I will, We travel to east midland tommorow so hopfully no phone calls and the aircon is all fixed. Thank you

Hi everyone. This is my first post but I've been following threads about the Dream with great interest :eek: as my friend and I are booked to fly out from East Midlands Airport (EMA)to Havana tomorrow (6 Jan) for the 2 week Dream Classic Caribbean cruise. I've been trying to stay positive, open minded ahead of the trip and go not looking for faults. But reading the above 'hopefully no phone calls', I got one at 5 pm this afternoon!!! This was from my local Thomson TA we booked through to say that the flight tomorrow is delayed by 9 hours...departure time rescheduled from 9.40 to 18.50 meaning we will arrive in Cuba at about midnight (instead of a pleasant mid afternoon) to begin the rigmarole of boarding the Dream in the small hours.......The TA said it was due to a 'backlog of flights at EMA' - that's not true - I've checked departures and arrivals, they are all currently operating on schedule....except Thomson to Havana tomorrow.....I'm interested to know if flights from other airports joining the 6 Jan Dream departure have also been affected? The cynical in me thinks maybe Thomson need more time to fix the ship??? Or now want to stagger arrivals onboard? Or maybe the plane has got a mechanical fault (no aircon maybe???!!!).

Anyway, I'm staying positive for now - better to have a lie in tomorrow, I'm lucky to live near EMA, my friend and I have been able to re-arrange transport to airport and will now have lunch out locally before we go and certainly it's better to find out about a 9 hour flight delay now rather than at airport tomorrow.

As with others above, I'll post a full and honest review when I'm back - if we ever get there that is!

Best wishes, nicola.

Archived