hotel in anchorage

DONNALAKA

Very different experiences. The Captain Cook is high-end and right downtown (walking distance to everything), but it's "stuffy" by my standards. I much prefer the Millenium, and stay there often - high quality but much more casual, with a great lounge/restaurant. If you like airplanes (and I do), the Millenium is THE place to stay, as it's right on the shore of the world's largest float plane base, and you'll be amazed at the level of activity - on the other hand, if airplane noise bugs you, the Captain Cook may well be more to your liking. These are two of the most expensive hotels in Anchorage, which may also be a consideration - when I'm feeling cheap there are lots of other options.

Murray

thanks yukon ! i got millenium for $150 on priceline am i happy ????????? LOL !

i can "deal " w/stuffy{cpt cooks } ... if the ambieance is nice..... hubby ???? likes motel 8 ambieance ;) kidding. i just want to be reassured {amid some negative feedback about the "dirty" millenium },that this will be a nice experience.

is getting back to town a major deal from here ?

Stayed at both last week.

Cook is DT and formal. Rooms are small and very dated. They really need to upgrade the hotel. Winter rate was $109 plus tax. Parking is $12 a night

Moved over to the Millenium for Thurs/Friday nights. They are in the process of upgrading the hotel. It's nice, not as formal as the Cook. It's 4 miles from DT and has free parking. Pricelined it for $40 a night.

Dave

Calling the Cook "formal" is a stretch IMO. "Dated" works for me, though.

Try the new Marriott downtown, or one of the "suite" places - we like the Hawthorn Suites on the Park Strip ourselves.

Captain Hook - LOL. Some folks used to call it the "Crook" however (in honor of its founder I guess.) I called it "Wally World."

We stayed at Captain Cook on our adventure and because we were too lazy to go out we dined in the restaurant in the lobby area. My wife had their stuffed halibut and she said it was the best meal she ever had. Check it out. We e-mailed them for the recipe and they were kind enough to send it to us. Wasn't quite the same--might be the fresh halibut that makes the difference.

John L.

Archived