Is the Metromover safe on weekends?

suometar

We will be staying at the Biscayne Bay Marriott on Saturday, prior to our Norwegian Pearl cruise on Sunday. I was thinking of going to the Bayside Marketplace in the afternoon (not necessarily staying for dinner), using the Metromover. But after reading all the posts about how deserted/dangerous the downtown area is, and being warned about the Metromover, I am beginning to have some doubts about this plan. What do you experienced Miamians think?

Surely soembody has taken the Metromover on a Saturday???

My wife and I have taken the MetroMover on a Saturday and also on a Sunday. Rather than driving from Boca Raton to Bayside to meet our daughter for lunch we took the Tri-Rail, Metrorail and then MetroMover. I would do it again in a minute. Contrary to what some folks would say, Miami is NOT a third world city!

But after reading all the posts about how deserted/dangerous the downtown area is, and being warned about the Metromover,

The downtown area is considered relatively safe. Follow common sense precautions (don't wear flashy jewelry, don't carry/show tons of cash, don't carry show expensive laptops, camera equipment, when possible travel in a group....etc.

The western portions of downtown becomes a little deserted at night on weekdays. A little less so on weekends.

What do you experienced Miamians think?

I have lived and worked downtown for a while, I rarely use a car. The area immediately around your hotel does seem a little dark/desolate as the night wears on, but you are only walking about a block to the mover.

Like most cities there are a couple of vagrants about, they'll ask for a handout, I say sorry cant help and move on. In the rare case you need help, there is an assistance button on the mover and cameras.

If you have been to mid sized to large US city before and have used public transit I think you will be comfortable.

If there is an event downtown (very likely) and/or a Miami Heat game, downtown becomes packed and police make an even larger presence known.

Archived