Panama Canal Shore Excursions

geocruiser

We are going on the Zenith. It stops a Colon and we would like to take a ship shore excurision to the canal. We would like to do the one by ferry. Can any one tell me if there is a lot of rough walking/ up hills?

Thank you

Geo

If you're taking the combo bus out / ferry back excursion, you won't be doing rough walking. However, according to our adult kids, you won't be doing much good eating on the ferry, either. You might grab something shoreside to augment what they prepare. For the price of the excursion, they had hoped for more, especially given the length of the excursion.

If you change your mind and do the combined Gatun/Portobello excursion, be aware that there are a fair number of stairs from the parking lot at Gatun to the observation area, and while flat, the Portobello excursion does require a fair bit of walking.

We were on the Jan 2nd sailing of the Zenith to Colon, we did do the bus/Canal Ferry Tour and enjoyed it very much. Gives a perspective on how big the Canal is and what and Engineering Marvel is that you might not get from a larger ship.

The Ferry that we were on only had about 120 people on this tour and it could have held 400 so we were lucky in that respect.

I walk with a stick and it was no problem from that aspect.

If I was going to do it again, I would just take the canal tour.

We did the all inclusive and got the crap scared out of us with a maniac tour guide driving to and from Portabello. The forts are worth seeing, but had some real fears on some of the corners and passing of vehicles.

We had a custom tour in Limon that was second to none.

Ask for a tour guide named Christian, he is associated with the 4 part tour just on shore.

It's not one of the ships tours, but he is a native that takes you everywhere and shows you everything. A lot of the canal tours race up and down the canals frightening off the wild life. This was a larger boat that drifted and had spotters that pointed out the wildlife along the way.

If you go to Roatan, ask for Mikey the tour guide, he is well known.

You will find him on the Resort beach party with lobster lunch trip.

The guy is an absolute riot and is spewing information until the very last minute.

Have fun, it was the best trip ever for us.

Archived