Cancelled Excursion Refunds

Rudolph38

We have trip cancellation insurance that will cover our cruise and plane fare should something come up that would negate our sailing plans. If I book excursions ahead of time, what is the HAL policy with regard to refunds if one cannot make the cruise? Or, if one is on the cruise and gets ill and can't take the excursion, can his or her money for it be refunded?

Thanks in advance.

Rudy

We have trip cancellation insurance that will cover our cruise and plane fare should something come up that would negate our sailing plans. If I book excursions ahead of time, what is the HAL policy with regard to refunds if one cannot make the cruise? Or, if one is on the cruise and gets ill and can't take the excursion, can his or her money for it be refunded?

Thanks in advance.

Rudy

Yes, your money will be refunded even if you just change your mind as long as you let them know before the posted cutoff time. Usually 24-48 hours before the excursion. Not sure if you became ill a few hours before the cruise if they would cheerfully refund your money, though.

If you are not able to take the cruise -- once you officially cancel the cruise -- any ship excursions that you have booked will automatically be refunded on to your credit card.

Once on the ship -- on the first day of the cruise you can cancel any excursion and get a full refund -- shipboard credit only at this time. After that you need to check the shore excursion sheet in your cabin for the deadline dates to cancel any excursion -- if you cancel before the deadline there will be a 10% penalty. Again refund to your shipboard account. But if you get sick after the deadline or the day of the excursion -- no refund.

I had to cancel my shore excursion in St. Petersburg last summer due to illness the day before. They didn't refund my money (didn't really expect it) but they did offer to try to resell my seat which meant that if someone wanted to purchase the excursion at the last minute they would buy mine instead of buying from HAL. No-one did buy it but I appreciated the effort. It was nice to have the ship almost to myself that day.

When we missed the sailing of the Noordam from Rome due to an airline cancellation, our pre booked Tuscany excursion was refunded to us. It was scheduled for the first port day in Livorno. We caught up with the ship on that day. We were sorry to miss that excursion, but just glad to be on the ship!

Karen

Last year, we had to cancel DH's shorex, however his ticket was resold and we received OBC. On another occassion, the Dr. put DH into 24 hr quarantine and the Shorex Dept. was very understanding about our situation...

Archived