Aft Balcony?

jcaviateur

I have an aft balcony booked on the Star for March but I'm torn between keeping it or moving down to a BD "framed" balcony. I've never had an aft balcony and I realize how it's highly sought after. I've read all the threads and looked at all the photos I can find in regards to the aft balcony.

But for me, the "private" balcony that cat BD offers really appeals to me. Also, I just love having a cabin thats just steps away from the stairs/elevators. In this case, the BD cabin I'm looking at would be so convenient to decks 6/7 with all the shops, etc.

Am I nuts to give up my aft balcony?

I have an aft balcony booked on the Star for March but I'm torn between keeping it or moving down to a BD "framed" balcony. I've never had an aft balcony and I realize how it's highly sought after. I've read all the threads and looked at all the photos I can find in regards to the aft balcony.

But for me, the "private" balcony that cat BD offers really appeals to me. Also, I just love having a cabin thats just steps away from the stairs/elevators. In this case, the BD cabin I'm looking at would be so convenient to decks 6/7 with all the shops, etc.

Am I nuts to give up my aft balcony?

Not if you'd rather have a "private" balcony and be steps away from the stairs and elevators. We always seek out balconies on the stern (the one negative to Spirit is that to have a balcony on the stern you must book a suite) but it's really a matter of personal preference. Go for what you'd prefer, not what someone else prefers.

We love the aft balconies! They are quiet and private, although you do a lot of walking to get to your cabin but that also means that only passengers in cabins around you are walking by your door. It is so quiet, the balcony on deck 10 aft 10168 (NCL Jewel) is huge. Spent a lot of time there last cruise and the view is amazing!:D

We loved our aft balcony!!!!!!!! The extra walking was a lot, but I thought of it as my fitness routine! LOL. We usually book near an elevator like you prefer, but we were just fine in the back for something different. The view was amazing. I would book it again in a minute before an elevator balcony because of the view, but that is me. You have to decide which is more important to you!!!!! Have a great trip!

My wife & daughter hated our aft cabin on the Gem, and won't ever get another one. Too rocky for them resulting in some bad nights. I liked it but majority rules.

My whole family (3 cabins) were upsold to aft balconies on our last cruise. We were very excited after reading all the comments and reviews on these boards. The location is great but when the ship starts rocking it is the last place you want to be.

Contrarian here. If we cannot get an aft cabin, we change our plans. Gotta have it. For us there is no better place to be during a storm than on our aft balcony. At night it's almost like sleeping in an elevator, just much smoother. Awesome. YMMV.

Aft balconies are the best if you intend to spend any extra time enjoying the balcony. There is no wind ever as you are located in the draft of the ship. You have a large panoramic view as well as the beauty of the wake of the ship(in the moonlight with a drink :)). We have been able to sit out on our aft balcony during a rain shower as the forward motion of the ship kept the angle of the rain from hitting us. And the aft of the ship is affected much less during rough seas than other parts of the ship such as upper forward staterooms. The biggest downside to the aft balcony is that it will hook you and you may not be satisfied with anything less in the future.

I have enjoyed reading about the aft balconies, we have one booked (10168) on the Pearl in June for our first Alaska cruise, I have wondered if it was a good choice, but I am getting more and more excited. I am hoping they can put some lounge chairs out there for us, that would be awesome.

We sailed in 10168 on the Pearl in the Autumn of 2007, it was our first cruise and so had nothing to compare it against.

However we're sailing on the Dawn in a few months, and were thrilled to be able to get another aft suite.

Again, nothing to compare against, but having enjoyed an aft suite, I would HATE to be disappointed in another cabin. :cool:

We had an aft balcony on our first Alaskan cruise. Absolutely loved it! We could see both sides of land as we sailed through Misty Fjords as we watched for animals. The final night of our cruise sailing back into Vancouver we watched the dolphins playing in the wake for hours,

We had an aft balcony on our first Alaskan cruise. Absolutely loved it! We could see both sides of land as we sailed through Misty Fjords as we watched for animals. The final night of our cruise sailing back into Vancouver we watched the dolphins playing in the wake for hours.

I have enjoyed reading about the aft balconies, we have one booked (10168) on the Pearl in June for our first Alaska cruise, I have wondered if it was a good choice, but I am getting more and more excited. I am hoping they can put some lounge chairs out there for us, that would be awesome.

I had the same aft cabin on the Pearl! What a wonderful cabin. You will truly enjoy it and of course Alaska one of my favorite destinations..

Aft balconies are the best if you intend to spend any extra time enjoying the balcony. There is no wind ever as you are located in the draft of the ship. You have a large panoramic view as well as the beauty of the wake of the ship(in the moonlight with a drink :)). We have been able to sit out on our aft balcony during a rain shower as the forward motion of the ship kept the angle of the rain from hitting us. And the aft of the ship is affected much less during rough seas than other parts of the ship such as upper forward staterooms. The biggest downside to the aft balcony is that it will hook you and you may not be satisfied with anything less in the future.

Parrothead very well said! It is everything you say plus more! And you are right now we are hooked and will not be satisfied with any other type of cabin...

I'm getting ready to book the Jewel for May 19 from NYC.Either aft facing balcony 10168 or a mid-ship mini suite with balcony.

Wife and son say mid ship. Me and a lot of repliers to this thread say aft facing.

Can someone please help me arrive at the definitive answer?

I'm getting ready to book the Jewel for May 19 from NYC.Either aft facing balcony 10168 or a mid-ship mini suite with balcony.

Wife and son say mid ship. Me and a lot of repliers to this thread say aft facing.

Can someone please help me arrive at the definitive answer?

You might check out what is above the mini-suite...........might not be as quiet as you might think a mini should be.

If you do end up booking 5/19, come on over to our roll call, would love to have you aboard !

Pool Deck is above the mini suite.

? Movement of chairs, most likely early in the am...............would be the negative. Since we have not been in a mini on the Jewel you might want input from someone who has. I like to have cabins above me and below. Our friend from the last Jewel cruise loved the aft balcony. We're going to try it one of these days! :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1288942&page=5 Roll Call thread. Welcome to Cruise critic...............you will always find helpful information, don't hesitate to ask.

Archived