Kids and Motion Sickness

Donnalynne

We are going on a family cruise on the Disney Magic, January 29th. Our 2 grandchildren are 2 and 6. My daughter has been told to take tons of gravol as her kids will be sick constantly and this is now becoming a worry to her. Any reassurances from others who have been on the E Caribbean itinerary with little ones that were motion sick a lot?

We have taken our grandkids when they were various young ages and not once did they get ill. One cruise was 30 foot waves and 65 MPH cross winds and they still didnt get sick.( they have gone with us 6 times so far)

Yes we did see a few kids who wernt feeling well but i also observed on cruises with normal movement that many times kids said they wernt feeling well because they had heard their parents fretting that people get sick on cruises.

What i saw happen was the parents got queasy and started asking the kids over and over again if they felt sick so eventually the kids said yes.

So I would advice not letting the kids know your concerned about this to start with.

Also if they get a bit queasy just ask a server for some ginger ale pop. That really helps the tummy and the kids think they're getting a treat. Just a few sips. Its not at the drink station or on the menus but they do have some.

Also I have heard ,but havnt tried green skinned apples seem to help.

I again would ask a server in the dining room or buffet for this. Its so much better for kids than medicines are. Meds knock them out.

If your daughter is truly concerned have her ask the kids doctor what to take just in case.

But honestly I have seen many adults get queasy but rarely do kids get sick. One time my daughter asked the Dr. about her little kids, 18 months and 4 years old and he told her many young kids ears arnt fully developed where the fluids are so they are not affected like adults. I dont know if thats true but thats what he said.

One tip would be if your in to see the show, dont watch the curtains while waiting for the show, they do sway a bit and that might set off a stomach. Also I've heard its best to always keep some food on your stomach for less queasy feeling.

Also remember these ships are modern ships with stabilizers that really work great. Unless you just got rough seas you wont feel it at all after the first couple of hours to get your sea legs.

Lots of fresh air out on deck too seems to lessen the effects.

If someone really does feel queasy mid ship lower decks are the most stable places on the ship. The atrium area has some chairs for sitting and the Promenade lounge and they are mid ship lower deck. It is a family lounge.

I dont know where your room is but the lower decks mid ship are less movement too. Upper decks do tend to feel more movement.

The front of the ship has the most motion.

I hope this has helped you some. Kids are really great for handling stuff that we fret about.

Good luck with your cruise, I hope all goes well and you truly have a Magical experience.

1. I wouldn't use Gravol. Being an antihistimine, it has some nasty side-effects such as drowsyness. Who wants to sleep or watch their kids sleep through their cruise? Check with your pediatrician about using Bonine or Meclizine.

2. You probably won't need it. Do they get car sick? If so, take along some Meclizine anyway just in case.

3. Has the person advising your daughter ever been on a large ship cruise? It doesn't sound like it or they had a very rare bad weather experience.

Biologicaly it is very unusual for children to become sea sick. What is more likely is that they will imitate adults saying that they feel ill. What is also pretty common is that they eat a ton of junk food, and then run around and spend a lot of time in the sun and get sick.

If they do say they feel ill sea bands can help. But I believe that this is a placebo effect (like sticking a band aid on a 'boo boo'). I also know of people who swear by a multi-vitamin each day.

I really appreciate your informative replies. I think my daughter is finally starting to see that this should not be such a worry as it is not just us telling her that. We have cruised before but they haven't and this is our first for Disney.

On a 7-day E Caribbean, is there a formal night? Or a Captain's dinner? Does my husband need to bring a suit and tie?

Thanks again.

There's a huge placebo effect with kids. As somebody just posted, that's probably why sea-bands work so well with them. But there's also a reverse placebo effect. If they think they are going to get sea sick, there very likely will. A mothers worry can become self-fulfilling.

Can I sugest that you buy sea-bands prior to travel. The cost a fraction in wall-mart and on ebay than they do onboard.

There are formal-ish nights onboard. Suit and tie isn't a requirement, but a few people like to dress up for it. Most wear long pants and a collared shirt. I do, however, recommend you get dressed up as that night they do formal portrates and it is a nice thing to take home. Plus, it is adorable to see the kids dressed up. many of the girls wear princess dresses.

7 night cruise there is a formal night and a semi formal night as well as a "Pirate in the Caribbean" night.

I'd have some ginger pills available for the kids (less side effects than gravol but effective). I didn't like the gingerale on the ship at all because it tasted different than what I would get at home (I was on the Western Caribbean and did get seasick the first day and a half).

An ounce of prevention can save a pound of headache later.

Thank you, I appreciate hearing that. We did hear of one family that the kids were sick and the mother had them on gravol every day of their 4 day cruise. My 6 yr old granddaughter is prone to car sickness for sure, but I really can't see that that is the same.

We didn't do an E. Caribbean, but we did have a pretty bad first night do to the remnants of a hurricane. Bad enough that I had to make a run to the medical center to get meds for DH (who'd forgotten to pack his!), and I shudder at how I might have felt if I hadn't been on Bonine (I start the day before as a preventative measure since I know I get sea sick).

My girls were 6 and 4. The 4 year old was perfectly fine. The 6 year old was a little green - she has a bit of a nervous stomach to begin with - so I gave her a single Bonine for Kids and after that she was great. I wouldn't medicate kids unless they need it, but I did have it just in case and it worked pretty quickly once administered.

My kids were 5 and 7 on our first cruise and both of them got sea sick we ended up purchasing the motion wrist bands and they were fine after that and every cruise I make sure I have them with us.

I would recommend buying the wrist bands if they end up not getting sick you can always return them. Just buy them ahead of time. The stores on the ship are pricey.

Hi. I'm a physician and I wanted to clarify some of the above info. :)

1) kids are just as likely, if not more likely, than adults to experience motion or sea sickness. Most common between ages 2-12.

2) ginger, sea bands and green apple have no well designed studies to support their use and are probably just as effective as a placebo.

3) the most effective medications are all antihistamines and are all best taken 1/2 hour - 1 hour before symptoms start to be the most effective. The common side effects are drowsiness but some younger kids paradoxically can get excitable. Dramamine is the same as Gravol. Benadyl is similar and can also be used. Bonnie is meclizine or antivert and is also an antihistamine.

4) being up high, mid-ship, staring at the horizon while listening to music on headphones or hearing a story are all effective if sea sickness is mild.

Archived