New York / Saint Johns

Daytime; 16-20 Celsius (61-68F)

Evening; 6-11 Celsius (43-52F)

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/index.php?product=travellers&pagecontent=CANF0253

This is for St. John's, Newfoundland. If you are going to Saint John, New Brunswick, it would be a bit warmer at 67-73 F average during the daytime, unless the fog rolls in and the temp will drop to around 60 F. It could also go into the 80's - it's not predictable due to being on the Fundy Coast.

"the true cruising experience is being in a lounge chair, or having a drink by the pool,or sitting on our balcony, we are traveling with my family and my sisters they have always gone down south. we have all wanted to visit New York and Canada. I didn't want to be stuck inside all week

"the true cruising experience is being in a lounge chair, or having a drink by the pool,or sitting on our balcony, we are traveling with my family and my sisters they have always gone down south. we have all wanted to visit New York and Canada. I didn't want to be stuck inside all week

We took a cruise to Canada three summers ago. The weather on the way was very very foggy. Once we docked the days were quite warm. The locals told us that typically they have a lot of rain during the summer. Don't go with true cruising experience expectations because you'll be sadly disapointed. The first cruise my friend and her hubby took with us she had the same exact mindset. We were going south but the wind and weather didn't allow for much deck time. She was very upset by this... it nearly ruined her whole outlook on cruising.

We've done the NYC-Canada cruise five times with a sixth scheduled this summer (July 2 on Glory). Yes, the weather is completely unpredictable. The first time we sailed (a June 28 cruise), it was cloudy and cool one day, sunny and warm the next. You can have fog - and lots of it. Can you have the "true cruise experience"? Sure, if the weather cooperates. This is the Lido deck on our Carnival Victory cruise to Canada in 2008:

2493435130094346881S500x500Q85.jpg

2880492080094346881S500x500Q85.jpg

I've never been stuck inside on any Canada cruise. In fact, most mornings we have breakfast on the Lido deck by the pool. We use our balcony all the time. Sometimes we've had to wear sweatshirts, but not always. If the weather's nice, they'll do contests on the Lido deck in the afternoon. Is it the same "feel" as a Caribbean cruise? Absolutely not. When you sail in the Caribbean you see beautiful blue water. The North Atlantic sailing to Canada is gray. However, you may see dolphins or whales along the way.

Glory has an aft pool with a retractable roof. When it gets cool, they will close the roof so there's still an opportunity to lounge by the pool.

One other Glory feature: She has a pool/hot tub in the spa area. It's wonderful. If the other pools are either too crowded or too cold, this is a great option.

I should also add that Saint John is a completely different experience from a Caribbean port. You aren't going to find people offering hair braiding or the like on the pier. You will find very friendly locals who genuinely welcome cruise ships to their city and are happy to help direct you.

How cold might it get on the ride up? can you get a true cruising experience with the temp so low?

Here's the deal---in my experience of living here most of my life, even in July when it is in the 80's onshore, it will be cold out on the water. We could leave the dock complaining about the heat and as soon as we would get out into the bay we were bundled up with heavy floater coats and toques.

There seems to be some confusion on this thread. You will be coming to Saint John, New Brunswick, which is a lot warmer in June than St. John's, Newfoundland. On a sunny day we are usually in the high 60's into the low 70's but if it is foggy and rainy the temps drop into the low 60's. The days start off chilly----I have started out to go golfing when the temps were in the mid 50's but the day would quickly warm up.

The best advice at that time of year is to layer your clothing when you leave the ship. It is also warmer as you get a few miles inland.

I live about three miles from the port and it can be hot and sunny here and cool and foggy where the ship docks. It has been said that if you don't like our Maritime weather that if you wait around for half an hour it will change. :)

I might add, in addition to the previous post about the friendly greeting in Saint John----the people who greet you upon arrival are all volunteers who give many hours of their time to help cruise ship passengers. The ladies are presented with a rose and the gentlemen are given a lapel pin. There is a Canadian flag for the children. These people will answer your questions and point you where you want to go.

Also, the natives are friendly and anyone you stop on the street or in the shopping area will be more than happy to help you. In fact, if you look lost someone will probably stop to assist.

I might add, in addition to the previous post about the friendly greeting in Saint John----the people who greet you upon arrival are all volunteers who give many hours of their time to help cruise ship passengers. The ladies are presented with a rose and the gentlemen are given a lapel pin. There is a Canadian flag for the children. These people will answer your questions and point you where you want to go.

Also, the natives are friendly and anyone you stop on the street or in the shopping area will be more than happy to help you. In fact, if you look lost someone will probably stop to assist.

Sapper1, I love Saint John. It's such a delight to get off a ship and be greeted so well. Although our upcoming Canada cruise is a replacement for a February Caribbean cruise we're no longer able to take:(, I'm looking forward to visiting Saint John in July!:)

Sapper1, I love Saint John. It's such a delight to get off a ship and be greeted so well. Although our upcoming Canada cruise is a replacement for a February Caribbean cruise we're no longer able to take:(, I'm looking forward to visiting Saint John in July!:)

Well then, here's a wish for a hot sunny day for you to enjoy yourself in.:)

If you are into zip lining there is one at the Reversing Falls now. I am not brave enough to try it but I went over one evening last summer and watched it in action. It seemed as though people were enjoying themselves.

A lot of history in Saint John, NB. It's the oldest incorporated city in Canada. After the American Revolution, many Americans of British decscent moved to Saint John to stay loyal to the crown.

Saint John is on the Bay of Fundy which never gets warm enough for comfortable swimming. Go inland a couple of miles and often times the weather is a lot warmer. However, for visiting the city, in June, it's generally comfortable unless it's foggy.

I live less than 100 miles from Saint John and have been there dozens of times. The people are extremely friendly, you won't find anybody hawking their wares nor steering you wrong.

BTW, it's Saint John and definitely not St. John's. St. John's is in Newfoundland. I've been corrected more than once on that

The only problem I have with Saint John is that their hockey team has beaten our Wildcats several times this year,:mad:

The only problem I have with Saint John is that their hockey team has beaten our Wildcats several times this year,:mad:

As a Sea Dog season ticket holder, I guess that tells me what city you are from;):)

As a Sea Dog season ticket holder, I guess that tells me what city you are from;):)

As you know, we are re-building, wait until next year and see what happens.:p.

For those who are not knowledgeable about Canadian Major Junior Hockey, it's a age limit league. When a team is making a run for the championship, they will load up their team with older players who will not be eligible the following year.

The Wildcats are in a re-building season and should put the Seadogs next season where they belong and that is the lowest in the Province. :)

As you know, we are re-building, wait until next year and see what happens.:p.

For those who are not knowledgeable about Canadian Major Junior Hockey, it's a age limit league. When a team is making a run for the championship, they will load up their team with older players who will not be eligible the following year.

The Wildcats are in a re-building season and should put the Seadogs next season where they belong and that is the lowest in the Province. :)

Time will tell---I guess we'll just have to wait and see.:)

I'm almost afraid of the answer, but as long as we are talking about St. John and the weather..............we are taking Regent out of NY to Montreal, and will be in Halifax for the day on the 7th of October. What can we expect regarding the weather? What about fall foilage? I know the weather can be changeable, of course, just wondering about your experience with that time of year...........

Thanks!

The leaves in thiis area generally at at their peak around October 10th. As you move farther north into the St. Lawrence area they will peak earlier. This varies depending on how soon there is a cold snap.

Weather in early October is usually very pleasant. The mornings will be crisp and cool--in the low 50s but a sunny day will see things warm up to the low 60s. If there is a hurricane down south it will push the warm humid air up this way and things can get quite balmy.

At sea it will be very chilly and you will need a warmer coat and toque if you are planning on spending any time on deck

Archived