Travel Agent incorrectly booked as Senior Citizen

jctf

Today, going through the details of the cruise package - we booked last minute

and only got it on Wednesday afternoon - I noticed that the travel agent

incorrectly booked us as Senior Citizens. We are not over 55 and according

to the info, they will charge us extra at the dock.

This was not disclosed to me by the travel agent, and it's also not

immediately visible in our package. I looked at the first page with the

itenerary, cabin #, names, dates, ... to check that the information was

correct. Today when I went through the entire package I notice this

on a page where they discuss price restrictions.

It's Saturday, so the travel agent is closed. Our cruise leaves tomorrow

from Miami.

What recourse do I have?

Thanks

I would say be prepared to pay the extra fee when you get to the dock but dont give up. Explain the situation to the people who are taking your docs, if that does not work and you have a cell phone, call and leave a message with the TA. Maybe they can get you a ship board credit for the difference you had to pay out to use on the cruise. Lastly, be sure to call them when you get home and complain. It was not your fault, why should you pay the extra money with only a couple of days notice.

I doubt this was an accident...T/A's use to do this to earn your business even though it's wasn't allowed.RCCL has made it clear for probably at least a year now....don't do it, or your clients will pay !! (at the pier) ...Sailing tommorrow...I hate to say it, but you are probably going to have to pay the current rate for that cabin inorder to get onboard.....I wish you luck and hope I'm wrong....Bon Voyage!

Oh dear, like everyone esle said, I believe you'll end up paying at the pier for the difference in rates :(

If this does happen, I sure hope you get everything in writing and documented and then go after your TA for payment.....then I would shop for a new TA....asap!

Good luck...I hope you have a wonderful cruise...and please post on your return and let us know what happened ;)

Bon Voyage! :)

I would go online and print my documents out and never even show them the book. We were booked under the 55 and older rate (which we are) but no one asked us to prove it, and no where on the online documents did it say anything about the senor rate.

I would go online and print my documents out and never even show them the book. We were booked under the 55 and older rate (which we are) but no one asked us to prove it, and no where on the online documents did it say anything about the senor rate.

Doesn't your Passport/Birth Certificate prove that???

###

thanks for the advice so far. Looks like the TA messed up.

But Royal Caribbean doesn't even make an effort to make the Senior

Citizen Fare visible on their forms. It doesn't say anything

on the Cruise Details, or on the online forms. You would figure

that under Category, or near the Reservation ID they would highlight

something.

Not exactly a fun way to start a holiday.

Will let you know how it goes.

I doubt this was an accident...T/A's use to do this to earn your business even though it's wasn't allowed.RCCL has made it clear for probably at least a year now....don't do it, or your clients will pay !! (at the pier) ...Sailing tommorrow...I hate to say it, but you are probably going to have to pay the current rate for that cabin inorder to get onboard.....I wish you luck and hope I'm wrong....Bon Voyage!

I, as a TA would never do something like this. We even list the ages of our cliants on our forms. Yes, some may and yes, the poor passengers will probably have to pay at the docks, but maybe not. In some cases the agents checking them in will not even pay attention. this is totally inexcusable if indeed the agent did it deliberately. She/he may have but the way you worded your response sounds like this is an everyday occurance. Many of us are honest. I hope you didn't mean it the way it sounded. NMnita

Shhhh!

rumor has it the "age cops" are on vacation the week you are going!

Seriously, it won't be a problem, nobody checks.

Ira

Hate to tell you, but this is not true. There have been several posts by cruisers who were, indeed, forced to pay the extra at the pier or not cruise. True, it's not always a problem, but it's better to expect that it will be.

And go after the TA--their mistake (honest or intentional) is their problem. They should refund you the difference. Period. (Not saying they will without a fight though.)

beachchick

When Royal Caribbean began the crackdown on TA making false clams of age or residence as I remember the policy is that if you get to the pier and this “mistake” is found you will be forced to pay the rate for the cruise for that day and not the difference between senior and non senior. In other words if the price of the cruise has gone up your payment may be substantial. If you can work this problem out before you cruise.

Shak

I hope this isn't a question that has been answered before,but where does it show if you got senior rates?.Is there a site to see what the senior rates are?We are seniors and have used the same agent for many cruises so I am assuming she is getting us the best rates.I would like to check it out though.

I hope this isn't a question that has been answered before,but where does it show if you got senior rates?.Is there a site to see what the senior rates are?We are seniors and have used the same agent for many cruises so I am assuming she is getting us the best rates.I would like to check it out though.

Sometimes YOU NEED to ask your TA if there are any senior or resident (state you live in) rates available.

If your checking on-line, 2 things to do...put in your state or zip code, for a possible resident discount and there should be a box to "check" or answer "yes or no" if anyone is 55 years or older by the time of the cruise. When you begin the on-line reservation it will let you know if you qualify for either discount, it will appear when you get to the cabin selection part.'s It's at the top where all the information is. :)

If I was in this position, I would call RCCL directly and explain the situation.

Once you arrive at the pier, you could be forced to pay the going rate that could be 100's of dollars more per person depending on the category you're in.

As a TA myself, there's very little chance of this being an accident. When names are put on the reservation an age range is put in. There is a range from 45-54 and another 55+, the RCCL agent should have questioned this unless your TA gave the 55+ figure for one in the cabin.

Reggie:D

Not sure about exactly where it might show senior/resident rates on your cruise docs (I haven't paid attention), but there is no site you can access to find senior rates. They aren't available for all cruises (and even then not always for all cabins) and sometimes they are added at the last minute. You must call your TA or (I've done this) call RCI and ask about "booking" your specific cruise (do not tell them you are already booked through a TA because they will not discuss this with you, only your TA). If you find out senior rates have been added for cabin category, call your TA and tell him/her to get your rate changed. I never assume that any TA we use is going to keep checking on this for me.

beachchick

This also happened to us last July...I was very paranoid because my husband wasn't going to turn 55 'til Sept. Out TA assured us it shouldn't be a problem...but if it was, we were to e-mail him from the ship and he would have a refund check in the mail before we got home. That was very reassuring! But, it was NOT a problem...no one at registration ever questioned it.

Not sure about exactly where it might show senior/resident rates on your cruise docs (I haven't paid attention), but there is no site you can access to find senior rates. They aren't available for all cruises (and even then not always for all cabins) and sometimes they are added at the last minute. You must call your TA or (I've done this) call RCI and ask about "booking" your specific cruise (do not tell them you are already booked through a TA because they will not discuss this with you, only your TA). If you find out senior rates have been added for cabin category, call your TA and tell him/her to get your rate changed. I never assume that any TA we use is going to keep checking on this for me.

beachchick

I found the senior rate posted for our cruise on Expedia and Orbitz and then called my TA. (Couldn't find it on the RCI site :confused: ) Got Outside for $5 pp. than we paid for inside. Hoping to get a balcony today for just $100 pp more than we paid for category N. This morning there are still 7 left. Keeping my fingers crossed.:)

Michelle

Archived