birth abroad documents?

dirtracer27x

ok now im kinda worried after ready one of the post.2 things im not sure about,first my wifes birth certificate.says state of ca certifacation of vital records across the top.its certified copy of vital records with the raised seal so i imagine this should get her on and off the shipp correct.second,i was born abroad,south korea.i have two documents,one from dept of the state certification of birth abroad,and dept of the state REPORT OF BIRTH ABROAD.are these 2 docs with my ca state id going to be enough to get me on and off?kinda worried after ready some of these post,we set sail on jan 16.also should the wife bring are marriage cert and her old id cards with her,dont want any issues if you know what i mean.

Your cruise is so close I doubt you could get a passport expidited. To be totally safe you should have a passport.

I would contact Carnival and find out what they say, but if it is a closed loop cruise BC/Drivers is enough; however, if there is a case where you have to fly home from a port that is when the problems begin because to get back into the US you will need a passport.

Others have travelled with just a BC and Dl, but being a Canadian I have to have my passport even to cross over the border by car.

I have the same documents, except I was born in France. I used them (the one from the state department would suffice, I was told) on my first cruise, but have a passport now, as it is just so much easier and those documents are hard to replace.

I would definitely contact Carnival Monday and ask, but really look into getting a passport. It is so much easier than carrying the papers around with you and worrying about losing them.

Safe Journeys!

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

ok now im kinda worried after ready one of the post.2 things im not sure about,first my wifes birth certificate.says state of ca certifacation of vital records across the top.its certified copy of vital records with the raised seal so i imagine this should get her on and off the shipp correct.second,i was born abroad,south korea.i have two documents,one from dept of the state certification of birth abroad,and dept of the state REPORT OF BIRTH ABROAD.are these 2 docs with my ca state id going to be enough to get me on and off?kinda worried after ready some of these post,we set sail on jan 16.also should the wife bring are marriage cert and her old id cards with her,dont want any issues if you know what i mean.

I was born in Israel. My family was naturalized to US citizenship when I was a teenager. My birth certificate is useless because it is totally in Hebrew. I got a passport when we began cruising and had to submit my citizenship paper.

I am a little confused. Are you a US citizen? Were you born in South Korea to parents from there or to US citizens who lived/worked there?

just got off the phone and carnival says just the report of birth abroad should be good for me to board.i will also bring my certifaction of birth abroad just incase.

My son was born abroad and has never had a problem with his birth certificate and used his Report of Child Born Abroad for his passport.

yes im a citizen,my father met my korean born mother when he was in the airforce.they married,had my sister in 72 then moved back to the states,father was again station in s. korea where yours truly was born in 75.seems as i should have no problems from what carnival has told me as well as i looked up the WHTI and this is what it said,i will print this and bring it with me just in case

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

just got off the phone and carnival says just the report of birth abroad should be good for me to board.i will also bring my certifaction of birth abroad just incase.
The certification is similar to a State Dept. version of a certified copy of a birth certificate, and just recently has become obsolete, although existing documents are still valid. Instead, multiple copies of the Consular Report of Birth Abroad may now be obtained. Either document is sufficient for proof of citizenship.

You should definitely call Carnival on this. Don't wait and risk denied boarding.

If you are now a citizen, you should have a passport... but surely call them right away.

Archived