So, What's the scoop???

Caramel1398

Hi there,

We're leaving on the Ruby Princess in 6 days and I'm hoping someone can give me the latest scoop on the ice cream situation on board? :D I know the homemade ice cream is no longer available in the buffet from 3:30-4:30, but I've read so many different updates on where you can get ice cream and whether or not they charge.... Anyone?

Thanks! :D

Free soft serve at the ice cream shop as noted, plus you can usually ask for in the MDR at meals even if not on the list.

And if the ship has an IC (I believe ruby does) there should be Gelato for a small cost.

Hi there,

We're leaving on the Ruby Princess in 6 days and I'm hoping someone can give me the latest scoop on the ice cream situation on board? :D I know the homemade ice cream is no longer available in the buffet from 3:30-4:30, but I've read so many different updates on where you can get ice cream and whether or not they charge.... Anyone?

The ice cream shop also has a sugar-free (or low sugar) version that is scooped for no charge.

Quite right, I haven't tried it but I recently overheard someone order it...so after they had gone I asked the folks in Scoops and they said they had it in vanilla only.

Hi there,

We just got off the Crown on Thurs. At the ice cream shop you could get free soft serve as well as free scooped ice cream -- choc or vanilla only. Also always available in the MDR. Several evenings in the Horizon, there were making (outsied of the buffet area) a flambe dessert of some kind that was served with scooped vanilla ice cream. You could just get the ice cream. Also at the International Cafe, 3 large scoops of gelato was $1.50. I think there were about 6 or 8 choices and you could get 3 different flavors on one tray -- it was huge!

Hi there,

Love your thread title :D

If you're an icecream lover, definitely try the gelato at the IC (3 scoops for a little over $2). It is super yummy and well worth the small price. Oh, and ask them to give you a sample of the flavors you want to try first. They are more than happy to do that for you.

Last week on Ruby: free cones or cup. Soft serve was vanilla, chocolate, or vanilla/chocolate swill. Three different sprinkes. Two toppings for in a cup: chocolate and caramel -- I think they were hot toppings because our ice cream started melting quickly. YUM!

Having been on the Sea Princess twice and going again 7th March, I have to say

that my husband is diabetic and we are always told at ice cream shop no sugar free available.

Having said that it is always available in the dining room at evening meal but I do think they could have a sugar free version at the ice cream shop also.

no more secret 3:30 ice cream in the closed side of the horizon court????? :(:(:(

That's such a disappointment! They used to have fun & interesting flavors along with the "regulars", plus fresh whipped topping with several topping choices too! The whipped cream was so good that once time I ate just a bowl of it with sprinkles! haha.. I hope that some day they will bring that back ;-). It was such a sweet treat!

On our last two cruises I got a brownie in the Horizon Court. I put it in a cereal bowl. Then went to Scoops and they topped it with ice cream. Yum!

That's the kind of ingenuity that made this country great!

I might have to try that -- I don't like ice cream much, but when you slide a brownie under it and some whipped cream on top of it, I can choke it down.

Last week on Ruby: free cones or cup. Soft serve was vanilla, chocolate, or vanilla/chocolate swill. Three different sprinkes. Two toppings for in a cup: chocolate and caramel -- I think they were hot toppings because our ice cream started melting quickly. YUM!

Maybe it's the New Year, but nobody corrected my bad typing. Oh course I meant swirl; swill must be served on the other cruise lines :p

Having been on the Sea Princess twice and going again 7th March, I have to say

that my husband is diabetic and we are always told at ice cream shop no sugar free available.

Having said that it is always available in the dining room at evening meal but I do think they could have a sugar-free version at the ice cream shop also.

I have requested the sugar-free at the ice cream shop on many of the Princess ships and always received it. It was usually vanilla, but I did get strawberry once.

Archived