Heard from the Upsell Fairy!

Sandyshore

I made a call to the upsell deptmant and they politely told me that they do not take requests for upsells.

For our Jewel cruise in May 2010, we called the reassignment desk on the Tuesday just prior to our Saturday departure and we were offered an upsell from an AC to an AA. We had been checking the NCL website and saw that the AA became available, which is why we called and we asked specifically about this cabin. We were able to negotiate a lower fare than they first offered.

For our Jewel cruise in May 2010, we called the reassignment desk on the Tuesday just prior to our Saturday departure and we were offered an upsell from an AC to an AA. We had been checking the NCL website and saw that the AA became available, which is why we called and we asked specifically about this cabin. We were able to negotiate a lower fare than they first offered.

I would be interested in what the negotiations entailed.

What price were you offered and what price did you end up paying?

I would be interested in what the negotiations entailed.

What price were you offered and what price did you end up paying?

$900 total is what we paid. The original offer was $1,500. I thanked her for the offer and said that it was more than we had decided we could pay (this was sincere, because before calling we set an upper limit and we agreed that we would stick with it). Before I hung up, she asked what I would be willing to pay. I undercut our upper limit and she said that was too low, but she asked me to hold on a moment after which she came back with the offer of $900. I hate negotiating, but this was low stress because we would have been happy with our original AC, we had predetermined our upper limit, and we had minimal expectations that this upsell was even possible.

Hello Everyone-

I was hoping for an upsell...still hoping. But had a question. We leave on the Pearl on 2/27/11. I had a GTY Balcony and hadn't been assigned a room...then yesterday on my ncl it shows a cabin has been assigned (BB). Is that in anyway an indicator that we aren't going to be considered for an upsell? I know our cruise is still sometime away.

Just wondering?

$900 total is what we paid. The original offer was $1,500. I thanked her for the offer and said that it was more than we had decided we could pay (this was sincere, because before calling we set an upper limit and we agreed that we would stick with it). Before I hung up, she asked what I would be willing to pay. I undercut our upper limit and she said that was too low, but she asked me to hold on a moment after which she came back with the offer of $900. I hate negotiating, but this was low stress because we would have been happy with our original AC, we had predetermined our upper limit, and we had minimal expectations that this upsell was even possible.

Thanks for answering:)

We have only received one upsell call from a BA to an AC for $300 total. I thought that was a great deal. We are now booked in an AB and hoping to get an AA on a 12 day cruise leaving in 2 weeks. I would guess the upsell cost would be quite a bit, so it's good to know that you can negotiate. Good for you that you got them down $600 from the original offer;)

Congrats. All I would mention (that I didn't see throughout the post) is:

+ if you're in the courtyard, there is a "Courtyard Steward" (for lack of a better term -- who keeps the area clean, puts out the cushions, breakfast bites, and afternoon cookies. We end up tipping him as well (I estimate a cost of about 2 pp per day); if he serves you breakfast in the courtyard, I tip more.

+ you can definintely bring home the bottles; while it may not be encouraged, if you are not big drinkers you can also "gift" the bottle to helpful room stewards/butlers. We did this way back. I believe the cruiseline frowns on this. If you were to do it, I'd recommend NOT waiting until the last day or two of packing; I believe it's easier for them to receive it "quietly" in the early to mid part of the cruise; the extra bonus is that if you're flying, this saves you room in your luggage as well.

Enjoy!

Congrats. All I would mention (that I didn't see throughout the post) is:

+ if you're in the courtyard, there is a "Courtyard Steward" (for lack of a better term -- who keeps the area clean, puts out the cushions, breakfast bites, and afternoon cookies. We end up tipping him as well (I estimate a cost of about 2 pp per day); if he serves you breakfast in the courtyard, I tip more.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I've heard mention of a "Courtyard Butler" but I figured it meant the butler to pax living in the villas. Had no idea there was a specific crew member who cares for the area itself. Or that there were treats to be had! Heck - I don't even have a clue where the Courtyard is! :rolleyes:

Thanks for info on the liquor too.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I've heard mention of a "Courtyard Butler" but I figured it meant the butler to pax living in the villas. Had no idea there was a specific crew member who cares for the area itself. Or that there were treats to be had! Heck - I don't even have a clue where the Courtyard is! :rolleyes:

Thanks for info on the liquor too.

Juice, pastries, coffee, tea, M&M's, gummy bears, snack mix, cookies.... did I forget anything??

Sandyshore, on the Jewel above the Courtyard (accessed from the elevator lobby) there is a room they call the Concierge Lounge. At the front is a wall of windows overlooking the pool, and the view forward is wonderful (and no wind). It wasn't very busy on our cruise, and it's a nice, quiet place to go, sit and watch the ocean (and have coffee/tea, cookies and gummy bears).

Sandyshore, on the Jewel above the Courtyard (accessed from the elevator lobby) there is a room they call the Concierge Lounge. At the front is a wall of windows overlooking the pool, and the view forward is wonderful (and no wind). It wasn't very busy on our cruise, and it's a nice, quiet place to go, sit and watch the ocean (and have coffee/tea, cookies and gummy bears).

This is like finding out about the hidden land of Shangri-la :D

It's getting me through this snowy day in CT.

Keep in mind that the Jewel is the only Courtyard (to my knowledge) that has the concerige lounge on the 15th floor. The rest of the ships have a room (the Jade) or rooms (the Pearl, Gem, etc) on the 15th floor.

The concierge loundge for those ships is simply a desk in the Star Bar on Deck 13 (right underneath the access stairs to 14).

Archived