Whittier Hotel

DONNALAKA

there r only 2 ????????? anyone stay at either the inn at whittier or anchor inn? there r not many pics online and info is hard to find surfing ?

maybe we should we just spend a 2nd night in anchorage and head to the ship from there the day of the cruise .

no specific plans in anchorage as of yet , but wanted a tour in prince wm sound, which BQ suggested i do proir to boarding the ship anyway.

any thoughts?

I asked this same question about 2 weeks ago and was told not to stay in Whittier overnight, just drive down the next morning from Anchorage, but be sure to watch the times for when the tunnel is open. I need to do more homework about that tunnel to understand why it is only open certain times. Good luck.

Here's the tunnel schedule and you can read about it also.It's one lane and alternates directions,usually every 15 mins but sometimes can be longer during certain parts of the day because of the train and daily maintance.Closed nights.The tunnel is very cool but Whittier is not a place I would want to stay at for very long.I find the place very depressing....http://www.dot.state.ak.us/creg/whittiertunnel/schedule.shtml

Anchor Inn is not a 4 star, but is nice and clean, and just a short walk to the harbor. The Inn at Whiiter is new, and sets on the harbor. Anchor is owned and operated by a nice family, very customer service oriented. Either hotel would be fine, if you want to do a Prince William Sound tour, kayak,fish, etc. I don't find Whittier boring....it just isn't very big. Beautiful setting.

We are going to Alaska at the end of June and have made reservations at the Inn at Whitter for the night before our Cruise. We have booked a 6 hour Wilderness Glacier Cruise through Prince William Sound Cruises and Tours the day before our cruise ship sails. They are providing transfer from Anchorage to Whittier. The Inn at Whittier is a new hotel with beautiful views (from what I have read). I'm sure there is not much to do in the town of Whittier but we figure we would relax the morning before our cruise and not have to worry about getting there the day of our cruise. Hope this helps.

Archived