Our first cruise - Port tours

Italiafile

We are on the April 13 cruise from Athens ending in Rome. does anyone have any suggestions for which ports we can make our own arrangements? Also, I'm not sure exactly where we port for Amalfi/Positano or in Santorini. Knowing that helps in my shore plans.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

If you list your ports of call it would be helpful and get replies from those who have been there.

If you check out the Ports of Call section off of the main board you`ll find lots of posts and suggestions for specific areas.

We tendered in Amalfi. I *think* the choice of Positano or Amalfi can vary depending on weather but could be wrong. They are not far away from each other. The weather turned rough while we were in Amalfi and the ship had to move to more sheltered. Those still onshore were bused to where the ship was now anchored. Must have been a little eye-opening to see the ship sail away.

Also off the main board there is an area `Roll Calls`. You should be able to find your cruise in there. You can meet up with others on the same cruise.

Positano - tender from ship. You can walk around the town for an hour or two, and that should do it. Amalfi is the area in which Positano is located.

Santorini - you'll tender to the base of the cliff and take a cable car from there to the top. Everything is right there within walking distance.

Best to refer to guidebooks for such general info.

Italiafile,

We're on the same cruise but we've done some of these ports before so....

Athens: use mass transit and you can see everything on your own (OYO)

Ephesus: probably have to use a guide just to get there. Didn't seem to have enough taxis when we were there so ship or private tour for this one (especially if there are other ships there whose passengers take the taxis 1st)

Santorini: using the cable cars- totally OYO

Zakynthos: new one for us so can't help

Taormina: quite a way from where we docked (forced to dock in Messina due to weather) so the passengers either took ships tours or hired taxis which seemed plentiful. Once you get there-OYO

Amalfi/Positano: we tendered and this can be OYO if the ferry schedule to/from A/P works out. Just depends on where you tender. If you tender to Amalfi that is definitely OYO

Olbia: new to us

Monte Carlo: totally OYO, use mass transit of various forms or walk

Overnight Florence: we took the ship tour called "Florence OYO" because we were only there for 1 day and the trains were talking strikes. However, this time train can be used and we think we're going to Lucca not worrying about getting back in time. Heck, you could even get to Florence and spend the night!

Lots of people on Cruise Critic do not like the ship tours but they can be a viable way to see what you want to see without worry or much effort if you want a totally stress free experience! (can be expensive however!)

Amalfi is a small town and also the name of the comune in the province of Salerno. Positano is a small town 17 km from the town of Amalfi.

If you tender at (the town of) Amalfi a nice side trip is up the hills to Ravello. If you are adventurous there are tours that take in Pompeii as well though it makes for a (too long for me) day and tight schedule. Depending on the time of year the Amalfi coast road can be crazy busy.

Please read my review of a cruise with many of the same stops:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=34140

I like a guide for many ports so I can see as much as possible.

My favourite was Monte Carlo, I would have hated to have not seen Eze and St. Paul.

On our following cruise, we did Athens-Istanbul. If you are in Athens a day or 2 early, as we were, I think you can see it on your own. We used Ekol Tours for Ephesus.

Next cruise is Rome to Rio, and we will do Rome on our own, as we arrive Sat and board ship Tues. The next 3 ports(Florence, Marseilles, and Barcelona), we did on the first cruise, but I have booked guides(the same ones as used for our 1st cruise), for Florence and Marseilles, to take me to see other towns!

Have fun planning!

yohoho,

As I said, we will be on this April cruise and want to go to Ravello having been to A &P. How did you get there? I'm not sure, having seen traffic, that we want to rent a car! c

The traffic at that time of year April/May is not bad. We tendered into Amalfi and took the bus to Ravello. There are beautiful private gardens with a great view. You can take the bus back but we walked from Ravello to Amalfi stopping at Atrani for lunch. The hike is downhill but very steep and uneven on a path with lots of steps and gravel. The walk was lovely.

We also tendered into Sorrento on another tour and took the bus to Positano and back. All very doable on your own.

I just noticed the rest of your ports which we visited on two cruises with Oceania.

Epheseus (Kusadasi) - took a private tour arranged with other cruice critic members from the roll call. Don't miss the Terrace Houses.

Athens - walk from the ship around the harbor to the train and take the train to Athens. All doable on your own and the weather will not be sweltering.

Taormina - Oceania has tendered in various places so it would make a difference where you are. We were close to Giardini Naxos and it was Sunday so the public transportation wasn't available. You can share a cab with others from the ship. If you tendered to the base of the town than you can use the cable car.

Santorini - tender into port and take the cable car up and then catch the bus to Oia which is beautiful. You can take the bus back as well.

Florence - first time we took the ship tour "on your own" to FLorence. We were docked at he commercial port and this was our first cruise so it was "comfortable". Second time we docked at the samll port and walked into town and to the local bus (very quick) to the train station. Half the folks took the express train to Florence and the rest of us took the train to Pisa and than Lucca.

Olbia - too short a time to take public transportation anywhere and the private tours needed more time as well. Best option if the weather is nice is to take a cab to one of the nearby beaches. They are lovely.

Hope this helps.

It is just my opinion, but Olbia is a waste of time. There is not much to see. There was a free shuttle into town that picked us up right at the ship and returned us to the security checkpoint. I was very disappointed about this stop. Overnight in Florence would have been wonderful as there is so much to see in that area. Ephesus is well worth a private tour and we did a private tour that was $60.00 per person and one of the best tours I have ever taken. We did Ephesus and Mary's house in a little over half a day. Plenty of time to return to the ship. Our wonderful guide was waiting when we disembarked. I can't remember the name of the tour company but I can find it if you are interested. I wasn't sure what to expect in Ephesus and it ended up being a highlight of the trip. Have a great cruise!!!!!

Archived