Gratuity

baby2lamb

That is a better explanation than the other persons. Thanks. I thought it was the tip just for dinner and we may want to eat on our veranda some meals. We are touring Alaska so the view from our veranda will be beautiful.

Just as an FYI, you'll probably find it too windy to eat on your verandah most of the time unless the ship is in port. Also, most verandahs only have a small table that's not even large enough for a couple of plates, so unless you're in a suite, it's probably not going to work out for you unless you want to use the table for drinks and hold the plates in your laps.

When I was a server (at a very upper scale restaurant) we were paid $2.01 an hour...so yes, tips were pretty much our living...taxes pretty much took our 'salary'....but cruise lines pay MUCH better...$7-12 an hour..I'm not saying that means they should be tipped less, just trying to clarify that tips are not their sole wages.

What cruise lines pay that much? Most pay servers $50-150 per month, the rest is made in tips.

I know I will get flamed for this...but if I go to a restaurant and have a coupon for buy one get one free dinner, I tip on the cost of the meal, not what it would have been before the coupon.

Wow, I've never heard of a server being stingey like this. In my opinion, if you can't afford to tip on the cost of the entire meal, you can't afford to eat out. Cruising is no different.

Archived