Would you rent a car from Port Canaveral to MCO or shuttle?

kiraryker

We have 2 families 9 total - so we didn't know if we should just rent a couple of cars to rent 1 shuttle?

I think it's about $45 per person for a round trip ticket on the shuttle which comes to $405.00 for all 9 people. If you rent 2 cars you will then have to pay for parking them at the cruise ship port and that's another $15.00 a day for each car. You might want to look into renting a van. I don't know how long your cruise is so I can't give you an estimate on the price of the car/van rental.

I personally would do 2 rentals. Most autos carry 5 people. The one-way cost probably wouldn't be more than $100-$125.

The reason I prefer this is so that I'm on my own schedule. If you get off the ship at 8:30am and your flight doesn't leave until later in the afternoon, I have used the car to go to downtown Disney (about and hour and a half) and spent an enjoyable morning and early afternoon.

BTW, most of the larger rental agencies will pick you up at the dock and shuttle you to their near-by office. I have never had to wait more than 10 minutes for a shuttle. However, DO pre-reserve the cars and have the local office telephone number.

JMHO

I personally would do 2 rentals. Most autos carry 5 people. The one-way cost probably wouldn't be more than $100-$125.

The reason I prefer this is so that I'm on my own schedule. If you get off the ship at 8:30am and your flight doesn't leave until later in the afternoon' date=' I have used the car to go to downtown Disney (about and hour and a half) and spent an enjoyable morning and early afternoon. [/color']

BTW, most of the larger rental agencies will pick you up at the dock and shuttle you to their near-by office. I have never had to wait more than 10 minutes for a shuttle. However, DO pre-reserve the cars and have the local office telephone number.

JMHO

So we should pre-reserve when we drop off our rental to board the ship?

Do the rental. You might be able to even squeeze everyone into a minivan instead of 2 cars for a cheaper price. Check out the New I work in Port Canaveral thread, post 862 for updated details on rentals and maybe even where to get rental car discount codes. Avis Hertz and Enterprise agencies are all close to the port area with convenient shuttles coming and going.

So we should pre-reserve when we drop off our rental to board the ship?

I am quite the planner. I make 2 reservations - one for the trip from MCO to Port Canavaral (and/or anything in between) and the other for the Port to MCO.

And yes, do look on multiple sites to get discount codes. If you are a member of Costco/BJs/Sams Club, check their websites. Also, if you rent for any of the larger agencies, do join their 'club'. It usually gets you preferred treatment (skip the lines).

Hope this helps!

Have been looking into renting a car each way from Orlando airport to Port Canaveral and haven't as yet used any codes but my question is:

There are 5 of us, all adults with luggage and when looking at vehicles it doesn't look like we can fit everything into anything less than a minivan which would be more expensive than some of the shuttles I've looked into. I would love the control of having my own car but also looking at cost. Any suggestions??

It's been a few years but we rented one Avis car at Orlando Airport, and returned it to the Port Canaveral dealership (they were very nice). They shuttle you to the ship. Get there early as it gets crowded due to all the travelers coming and going from the multiple ships in the harbor - this would be true for all rental agencies. We arrived a day earlier so this gave us something to use to go to the stores (Walmart is right off the highway) the day before setting sail.

We rented again at the Avis agency in Canaveral (they had a coupon online for a free upgrade), and returned the car to the same airport about 8 or 10 hours later after shopping in Orlando.

At Avis website we used coupon code: AWD K199060 which is the code given out by the Florida Tourist Bureau for anyone that wants to use it. The discount was terrific.

Have a good trip.

We also had 2 families totalling 9 and chose to use Cocoa Beach Shuttle service. Remember to ask for the Cruise Critic discount (10% off). Total amount for 9 members came to $130 each way. Staff was prompt and courteous. Would definitely use them again. No hassles with having to rent and return a car and the price wasn't much different when you have that many people.

Archived