Fine wines in San Juan

chaka7969

We spent a few days in San Juan prior to our cruise. On the way to the Rain Forest would you believe that we stopped at a Costco(noticed it as we were driving by on the #3 highway (in Carolina I think). They had some very nice wines there in the 20-30 range (I was only looking at reds) and the prices were excellent. Post cruise, we bought some wine at a large supermarket just around the corner from the Embassy Suites in Isla Verde. They had an OK selection and the prices were also good.

We got wine in the small liquor store right at the pier. While they did not have a large selection they did have a few bottles of very decent wine. For our two bottle allotment we went with the Campo Viejo Crainza Gran Reserva (Rioja) for the red, and the Sonoma Cutrer Chardonnay for the white. Both purchased for substantially less money than we would pay here in Toronto.

• 2 weeks later...
We spent a few days in San Juan prior to our cruise. On the way to the Rain Forest would you believe that we stopped at a Costco(noticed it as we were driving by on the #3 highway (in Carolina I think). They had some very nice wines there in the 20-30 range (I was only looking at reds) and the prices were excellent. Post cruise, we bought some wine at a large supermarket just around the corner from the Embassy Suites in Isla Verde. They had an OK selection and the prices were also good.

Thank you, I like reds, my wife likes white and the bubbly stuff.

We got wine in the small liquor store right at the pier. While they did not have a large selection they did have a few bottles of very decent wine. For our two bottle allotment we went with the Campo Viejo Crainza Gran Reserva (Rioja) for the red' date=' and the Sonoma Cutrer Chardonnay for the white. Both purchased for substantially less money than we would pay here in Toronto.[/quote']

Thank you, I appreciate the tip.

The liquor store at the pier has a very nice selection of sparkling wine and champagnes at decent prices last March (2010). From inexpensive Cava to Dom Perignon.

I recall that they had a nice, but small, selection of still wines. But I can't recall much about it since all we wanted were a couple bottles of Champagne (bought some Clicquot Yellow Label). I do have a link to a web site that has a recent ad of theirs scanned. One section shows a bunch of wines but it is hard to see what they are from the small pictures: http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/san-juan-cruise-pier-duty-free/

The liquor store at the pier has a very nice selection of sparkling wine and champagnes at decent prices last March (2010). From inexpensive Cava to Dom Perignon.

I recall that they had a nice, but small, selection of still wines. But I can't recall much about it since all we wanted were a couple bottles of Champagne (bought some Clicquot Yellow Label). I do have a link to a web site that has a recent ad of theirs scanned. One section shows a bunch of wines but it is hard to see what they are from the small pictures: http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/san-juan-cruise-pier-duty-free/

Good info, thanks!

Ask the taxi driver to stop at a liquor store on the way to the ship and pick up your wine. The selection of wine at the pier was limited. We were happy we bought our wine ahead of time rather than at the pier.

Archived