Monarch Boarding Questions

Does RCI allow guests to carry their own luggage on board? Since our cruise is only 4 days long, we don't have to pack more than 1 bag each and we prefer to be able to go straight to the cabin to unpack.

We're trying to decide what time to get to the port. What is the earliest that they board? When do the crowds thin out?

Also, on the 4 day to CocoCay and Nassau, do they play the Quest game? I saw it on my very first cruise in 1990, but haven't sailed RCI since. My sister has no idea what it is and I might want to spring it on her.

Thanks to any and all of you who answer.

Carol

Any luggage you carry on has to be able to fit thru the security scanner......so really nothing large,,,,

You can get to the port 10:30-11am and boarding usually starts at 11:30.Thats the time we get there so cant answer when the crowds thin out........get there early and get another days worth!

They do have Quest on both the 3 and 4 night cruises..

Cabins wont open up till 1pm.........thats when you can go to yours..

Does RCI allow guests to carry their own luggage on board? Since our cruise is only 4 days long, we don't have to pack more than 1 bag each and we prefer to be able to go straight to the cabin to unpack.

We're trying to decide what time to get to the port. What is the earliest that they board? When do the crowds thin out?

Also, on the 4 day to CocoCay and Nassau, do they play the Quest game? I saw it on my very first cruise in 1990, but haven't sailed RCI since. My sister has no idea what it is and I might want to spring it on her.

Carol

You can carry your own bags on, as long as they are small enough to go through the xray machine, rooms wont be ready until 1.00pm, so probably best time to board for you would be 12.30 - 12.45. Normally no lines at this time. Yes quest is still played onboard

Carol

As long as the luggage fits through the scanners, similar to the airports, you can carry it on.

Boarding begins about 11:00 normally but the cabins are not ready until 1:00.

Quest is still alive and well.

They don't open up the rooms until 1 PM, if you carry on your luggage you have to haul it around until then. Your luggage also has to go through an x-ray which may or may not hold up passengers behind you. I have always found it so much easier to leave the luggage with the porters. Take what you may need in a small bag, less to haul around.

I have tried it both ways, and now only check the main luggage no matter what size, and keep important stuff(drugs) in a back pack of some sort. When carrying it on, you have to fight to wheel it around the ship and god forbid the Windjammer serving people who have never eaten in weeks, wait that describes me LOL.

Carry-on suitcases are fine to take onboard yourself, as long as you don't mind lugging them with you until the rooms open up at 1pm.

This is my usual strategy:

- Arrive at port at 11:30am, usually takes within 15 minutes to board.

- If we haven't eaten breakfast, head to windjammer for lunch.

- If not hungry, or after eating at Windjammer, chill out on pook deck and enjoy first mojito/pina colada/etc. until the rooms open up.

Works every time! :)

Cruise critic people are wonderful. Thanks for all of your answers. It seems pretty clear that there's no reason to carry my own suitcase if I plan to arrive before 1:00. It may be small enough to be scanned, but I wouldn't want to wheel it all over the ship as I'm exploring.

Thanks for also letting me know Quest is still played. I don't like posting details on this board that would spoil it for people who have never played, and I don't want to know the clues ahead of time--that gives someone an unfair advantage. But, I do want to have a pretty good idea of just how "adult" it gets. It may have changed since 1990. If there is anyone that can tell me in generalities, I'd appreciate it. If you want to email me about it, let me know and I'll give you my email address.

Carol

Depending on the audience - you truly may see more than you care to. Poor cruise directors staff sees things I'm sure they don't want to. Cruise director and staff are wonderful on the MN and I know you will enjoy your cruise and the Quest.:D

Archived