Birth Certificate & Marriage Certificate question

Hi everyone,

I don't have a passport, but am married so my birth certificate shows my maiden name. Our Certificate of Marriage has a raised seal of our township on it, at the top says "New Jersey Department of Helath and Senior Services," at the bottom says "Cherry Hill Township," and is signed by the Registrar of Cherry Hill. Is THIS the right document I need to identify me, in addition to the certified copy of my birth certificate?

Thanks very much for your help! icon_smile.gif I want to make sure they'll let me on the ship!

Time 'til Mariner on 8/29/04 -- our first cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;8;29;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

the only document you really need besides your BC is your drivers license with picture ID. As long as the name on your ticket isthe same as your drivers license and the first name on your BC you will be fine . If you want to be safe then what you are describing sounds fine to bring with you. but i would not worry to much about it I have never nor has anyoe i know ever had to provide a marriage license to prove mane change just a picture id and BC enjoy!

I have a passport so I don't worry about travel documents. My mom does not have a passport. The advice she received was if your driver's license or ID card has your maiden and married names on it then you don't need your marriage license. However, if your driver's license/ID card has your middle name and married last name, bring the marriage license "just in case". For example, you are Mary Jane Smith and you marry Mr. Jones. If your driver's license reads Mary Smith Jones, you don't need the marriage license. If your driver's license reads Mary Jane Jones, then you should bring it.

From reading these boards, it sounds like they don't ask very often for the marriage license. Getting on the boat isn't the problem. You have to pass through US customs when you return from the trip. That is where you could be detained.

Thanks ruttie & kyriecat for the info. Our TA told me to bring the marriage license (mine is actually a Certificate of Marriage - does that make a difference?), so I guess I'm being anal about it all. I'll try to relax and just keep planning (and shopping!) for the cruise!

i also have my passport and don't worry, but as a former t/a, i'd say better safe than sorry...bring both.

do you have enough time to get your passport? you should, unless you're leaving in less than 2 days. you can get your passports done in one day. it costs about $100, but i did it a few years back and it's good for like 10 years, so i don't have to think about it again for a long time.

it's a good investment.! lol

have a fun cruise!!!!! :o

I just returned from a cruise to Mexico. I took my marriage license just in case, but was not asked for it at all.

However, from the advise of so many - I will be looking into passports soon, just for convenience!

A marriage license is something you apply for before you get married and the certificate of marriage is what you get after the marriage. I have a similar problem. When I booked the cruise for our honeymoon (which is three months after the wedding) I used my maiden name thinking it would take longer to get the name change done. Silly me. Once I got my driver's license and SS card changed I called my TA who told me there would be a charge for changing the pax name even though the tix have not been issued or anything. Argh. So I kept my passport in my old name, will bring my driver's license, and the marriage certificate just to be on the safe side.

Good luck and have a wonderful time!

I was on the Mariner 6/6. I did bring my marriage license in addition to my birth certificate, but no one asked to see it. I only had to show birth certificate and driver's license. I'd bring it just in case, but doubt that you'll need it. Next time, I'm getting a passport.

Archived